• Young Chang or Steinway, what is really better?

From sumdumguy@21:1/5 to Larry on Fri Jun 24 20:42:27 2016
    You need to do more research before calling someone a liar. Yes I agree that reading the post, it was obvious the salesman was trying to play the guy. But Young Chang does have Renner action. They used to produce Essex line for Steinway back in the
    old days.. And one of the vice president of Steinway joined Young Chang and helped produce Renner action. Young Chang was also the producer of Yamaha at one point. It also owns Kurzweil and is subsidiary of Hyundai. It probably has more know how and
    sound technology than most well known piano manufacturers and have excellent reputation for producing good instrument.

On Saturday, February 23, 2002 at 10:34:25 PM UTC-5, Larry wrote:

The salesman told me they had Renner actions (Young Chang)

None of the Young Chang pianos have Renner actions, or use Renner parts.

The Kawai dealer also told me
    that Young Chang's had Renner actions but that was his way to disparage. >Renner actions!

So now we know the Kawai salesman was just as big a liar as the Young Chang salesman.

Here comes the preposterous stuff:

I thought what they'd told you so far was pretty preposterous myself, but let's
    hear it:

The tone (Steinway) was awfully thin and metallic. It sounded like a broken xylophone. The salesman commented: It doesn't compare to a Young Chang, does it?"

This is why the piano has a sold tag on it. It isn't really sold, but is being
    used to trash Steinway, and to try to get customers to believe that a Young Chang is a better piano. This is slimy sales tactic is called "nailing it to the floor". They have the Steinway "nailed to the floor" with the sold tag on it, and have the piano set up purposely to sound terrible. Then they point out
    to you how bad it sounds, and how good their Young Changs sound in comparison,
    and then tell you it is a better piano than the Steinway. It could have easily
    been some other brand, it's just that in this case they were trying to make you
    believe the YCs are better than a Steinway.

What you have is a dirtball of a salesman, working in a dirtball dealer's store. He is a liar, and is unethical. (Was I too vague? ;-) )

My advice would be to find another dealership to do business with, one who will
    act professional and sell his products on their merits instead of misrepresenting his products and trashing his competition.

The truth of it is a Young Chang will never sound or play like a premium piano,
    Steinway or any other one. And even if by some miracle a tech was able to make
    you think it did, it wouldn't maintain it very long. A Young Chang is a mass produced assembly line piano of good quality, with a useful musical life of about 30-35 years, a good quality midlevel piano that you throw away when it dies. A Steinway is an overpriced shell of its former self, but even at that it
    is a premium grade instrument far superior to anything Young Chang will ever do, and one that will last twice as long and then can be rebuilt to last twice
    as long again.

Are there other observations of Young Chang's ability to sing once properly >voiced and regulated?

Asian pianos cannot sing. They are too percussive, their sustain is too short,
    and the tone is too two dimensional to sing.

Larry Fletcher
    Pianos Inc
    Atlanta GA
    Dealer/technician

Doing the work of three men.....Larry, Curly, & Moe
    Want to visit another piano related messageboard? Go to the piano discussion group on my website:

Http://www.pianosinc.net

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From greghannon@giftedplayer.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 9 06:32:13 2018
    I know your post has been out there of several years, but I am facing the same dilemma.

What piano did you decide to buy, and why?

Thanks in advance. Greg

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)