• =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re=3A_August_F=F6rster_pianos?=

From paul.olson@olsonpianoservice.org@21:1/5 to Samuel et Michael on Sat Apr 2 11:13:10 2016
    On Saturday, July 1, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Samuel et Michael wrote:
    Hi everybody,

I want to buy a grand piano and I have been told by my piano teacher
    that August Förster are wonderful pianos, with competitive price.

As I did not have the chance to try one yet, I was wondering if anybody
    has experience with these pianos. I am particularly interested by 170cm
    and 190cm grands.

Thanks a lot.

Michael.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From paul.olson@olsonpianoservice.org@21:1/5 to Samuel et Michael on Sat Apr 2 11:27:15 2016
    On Saturday, July 1, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Samuel et Michael wrote:
    Hi everybody,

I want to buy a grand piano and I have been told by my piano teacher
    that August Förster are wonderful pianos, with competitive price.

As I did not have the chance to try one yet, I was wondering if anybody
    has experience with these pianos. I am particularly interested by 170cm
    and 190cm grands.

Thanks a lot.

Michael.

I have been a piano technician/tuner/ rebuilder for over 4 decades. I just checked online and August Forster grands start at $60,000 and go up to $140,000 in the USA. These are not cheap pianos, but compared to other high quality pianos they are in the
    correct price range. I have serviced 90,000 clients and seen a handful of August Forster and I must admit I think they are the finest overall sounding pianos I have ever heard. I wish I could afford one but they are out of my income level - and I would
    guess most people's income levels; unless you are willing to take out a second equity loan on your home. I have one client that bought a Fazioi for $140,000 and it is amazing!!! But I still remember 2 August Forster that I consider the best pianos I
    have ever heard of played.
    There is a pattern of taking well-known brand names by using legal means to get permission to use these names and then put them on cheap pianos, usually made in Korea and particular China. For instance, Knabe is a well-known American piano that died
    when Aeolian went out of business in the early 1980s. But the Knabe piano sold today in China (I believe) IS NOT the same quality or sound or touch. Sadly, 80% of all pianos made today are being made in China. They are cheap and will have a short life
    span, but lowest price is what wins in todays market place. Most piano buyers are not sophisticated musicians or pianists. They are buying a piano for: person to take beginner lessons, looks and way to impress their friends and neighbors. There is
    something to the look of a grand piano in a home and people what that look more than anything else. The quality they are not concerned about nor can they even appreciate.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)