• Werner Chicago Upright Piano

From Diane Wood@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 30 12:07:17 2018
    I have a Werner Chicago upright piano. I know the last Werner was built in 1929. The serial number is 191977. It's in good condition, with all hammers and pads. Can you ell me how much it is worth? Thanks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From J.B. Wood@21:1/5 to Diane Wood on Tue May 1 06:36:06 2018
    On 04/30/2018 03:07 PM, Diane Wood wrote:
    I have a Werner Chicago upright piano. I know the last Werner was built in 1929. The serial number is 191977. It's in good condition, with all hammers and pads. Can you ell me how much it is worth? Thanks.

Hello, and probably not much. Pianos, even ones that are attractive as furniture, with few exceptions, traditionally aren't in demand as
    collectibles. They are heavy beasts, complex mechanically and "good
    condition" doesn't mean that things like cracked soundboards, loose
    tuning pins, "sticking" keys, rusty strings, worn out hammer felt, etc
    aren't present. There were lots of piano manufacturers in early 20th
    cent America turning out products of varying quality. If you play this
    piano, like the sound, and you're not calling the piano tuner every
    week, then keep it. If you just want it as a room decoration, keep it. Otherwise you'll very likely be paying someone just to dispose of it.
    Decades ago churches used to welcome the donation of old pianos for
    their fellowship and Sunday school rooms but now we have low-cost and lightweight digital pianos (that never need tuning). Sorry, but that's
    just the way it is. Sincerely,

--
    J. B. Wood e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ivan Vegvary@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 1 17:25:36 2018
    To J. B. Wood.
    Agree with everything you said, but how sad.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Patrick@21:1/5 to J.B. Wood on Mon May 7 19:55:52 2018
    "J.B. Wood" <arl_123234@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:pc9fuo$19ie$1@gioia.aioe.org...
    On 04/30/2018 03:07 PM, Diane Wood wrote:
    I have a Werner Chicago upright piano. I know the last Werner was built
    in 1929. The serial number is 191977. It's in good condition, with all
    hammers and pads. Can you ell me how much it is worth? Thanks.

Hello, and probably not much. Pianos, even ones that are attractive as furniture, with few exceptions, traditionally aren't in demand as collectibles. They are heavy beasts, complex mechanically and "good condition" doesn't mean that things like cracked soundboards, loose tuning pins, "sticking" keys, rusty strings, worn out hammer felt, etc aren't present. There were lots of piano manufacturers in early 20th cent
    America turning out products of varying quality. If you play this piano, like the sound, and you're not calling the piano tuner every week, then
    keep it. If you just want it as a room decoration, keep it. Otherwise
    you'll very likely be paying someone just to dispose of it. Decades ago churches used to welcome the donation of old pianos for their fellowship
    and Sunday school rooms but now we have low-cost and lightweight digital pianos (that never need tuning). Sorry, but that's just the way it is. Sincerely,

--
    J. B. Wood e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com

I have a Cable & Nelson Upright Grand, built in Chicago in the 20s, similar, and I paid $500 for it 10 years ago, today, can't tune it --- strings might break, and it's getting to where I need a new piano, like yesterday.

I don't like digital pianos, no sympathetic vibes, it's just not the same.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05