• Baldwin Wippen tail broke off

From porty463@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 20 06:31:27 2017
    What is your favorite way to repair a Baldwin Wippen which has a broken tail. The abstract is supposed to pull up from a slot in the wippen end closest to the person playing it. But sometimes the end breaks off and the slot of course is gone. (the broken
    piece is missing) There are no repairs kits that I know of. Fabricating a part is the only choice I know. SO what is you favorite method to fabricate or repair this problem. Thanks in advance.
    Scott

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Hope Morrow@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 16 04:33:31 2017
    I’m not exactly sure what you mean by the “abstract” — I’m thinking you mean that jack — the L-shaped lever that pivots inside the whipped assembly. Technicians do not fabricate them. The best you can hope for is a replacement jack (pinned
    into the old assembly) or a completely new whippen assembly. Depending on the age of the piano, there’s a possibility that the geometry is not the same and the part will not function like the others in the piano. Your best bet is to have a technician
    compare it to several whippets and pick the one that’s closest — s/he can pin a new jack into the original whippen or install and adjust a new whippen. REgardless, the new parts will need adjustment afterward and unless you have had training in how
    to do this, it is best left to a (Piano Technicians Guild) trained technician; otherwise, you may break more parts on attempting to play the piano.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)