• Yamaha flugels, the 631 or 731?!?

From johnkmohan@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Jim Donaldson on Fri Jan 18 09:11:00 2019
    On Wednesday, October 4, 2000 at 10:33:23 PM UTC-5, Jim Donaldson wrote:
    ...then why not just get a 631S (a silver-plated 631). Please
    let me know, because now I'm really caught up in the decision >to get a silver 631 or a 731.

Mostly because Yamaha doesn't made a 631S. The design dates to a time when Yamaha's lacquered horns had model numbers like 6XX and the silver plated horns
    had numbers like 7XX, with the first digit indicating the quality level (pro, student, or intermediate) and finish. As has been pointed out, the horns have the some body, but different bells and finishes and the bell material and finish each contribute to the sound difference between the two. The 631 has a lacquered rose brass bell, the 731 (under the silver plate) has a yellow brass
    bell.

Showing once again that consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds, Yamaha's
    predecessor to the current YFH 6310Z flugel was the YFH 635T (it came with a third valve trigger). It came in silver also, which was disignated the YFH 635ST. Alas.

It is interesting to note that the Yamaha brochures from a couple of years ago
    described the tone of the 631 as "clear and light" and the 731 as "darker," for
    whatever that is worth.

Jim Donaldson
    Denver Colorado
    JFDonaldsn@aol.com

The Schilke Loyalist
    http://www.dallasmusic.org/schilke

May Jim rest in peace.

With all due respect I am going to make a slight correction here:

Though it is not currently offered in silver plate, the Yamaha 631 was offered in silver in the past. I bought my Yamaha 631 in 1977 from Schilke back when they were on South Wabash Avenue, and it was silver plated. Now, courtesy of John Lynch, it has
    a trigger and is gold plated. John did a gorgeous job on it, as he was with all the horns he's done for me.

Cheers,

John Mohan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)