• Mahillon Piccolo Trumpet

From r.henssen@bibliotheekkerkrade.nl@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 6 06:27:51 2017
    Op zaterdag 11 december 1999 09:00:00 UTC+1 schreef Rafael Cuadros:
    A friend of mine let me try out an old piccolo trumpet he had. It is
    marked on the bell:

C. Mahillon
    Brussels
    Since 1838
    F
    (underneath the F, there is a star)

There is no serial number on it, and I cannot find a web page that gives
    me information on it. It sounds kind of bad. It almost sounds as if I
    were just buzzing the mouthpiece. Does anyone have any info on this
    horn?

A great instrument! There were 4 versions of this trumpet (all model 521): a short 3 valve, a long 3 vale, a short 4 valve and a long 4 valve. The letter F above the star means it was made in 1932, a letter F with a dot above it above the star means 1958.

Ralph Henssen

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From jkfolkens@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Dr. Trumpet on Tue Jan 16 09:55:49 2018
    On Monday, December 13, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Dr. Trumpet wrote:
    In article <19991212234618.16780.00000367@ng-ff1.aol.com>, wwise72606@aol.com
    (WWise72606) wrote:

<< It sounds kind of bad. It almost sounds as if I
    were just buzzing the mouthpiece. Does anyone have any info on this
    horn? >>

Check out the recording Bob Nagel made with Pablo Casals.
    I had the pleasure to assist Bob, I played a couple of the repeated low notes.
    Bob not only play a Mahillion trumpet, but also played the mouthpiece that came
    with the horn.
    His performance is spectacular!!!!!!!!!!
    They were at one time, the picc,along with the long belled Couesnon.

Wilmer

Wilmer and friends,

Mr. Robert Grocock, my trumpet teacher at DePauw and a former member of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, had one that he swore by as well. Of course, he too
    was a Glantz student during the late 40's, so I wonder if the connect came from
    their time in NYC. Mr. Grocock was a close friend of Ren Schilke, and Mr. Schilke always admired the tone and lyric quality of the Mahillon piccolo trumpet sound. Mr. Schilke went so far as to ask Mr. Grocock for his piccolo,
    so he could dissassemble it and learn from it. Mr. Grocock never did let Mr.
    Schilke take it apart, but did let him examine it some. Interestingly, Mr. Schilke built a P5-4 for Mr. Grocock that was the best P5-4 I have ever played,
    yet was NOT as good as this Mahillon. I would love to locate an old Mahillon
    that played like that one. What a great sound!!

Hope things are well!

AL

Al, et al.,

I recently purchased a case of several trumpets and mouthpieces which previously belonged to the late Robert Grocock (trumpet teacher at DePauw and a former member of the 
Chicago Symphony Orchestra). One of the instruments is a C. Mahillon 521 H
    piccolo trumpet (or piccolo flugelhorn), which seems to be in fine condition. The case also included what looks like a piccolo lead pipe, but it doesn’t seem to fit into the receiver. I’m posting this since it seems that a few people have been
    looking for this instrument.

Jeff
    jfolkens@cinci.rr.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From albertmuccilli@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 2 19:14:29 2018
    I actually have a long 3 valve with an I above the star (1935). Does anyone know the value of such an instrument?

Al Muccilli

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05