• Conn Artist 8B question

From worthgeoff@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to worth...@yahoo.com on Tue Aug 11 20:20:19 2015
    On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 8:12:48 PM UTC-7, worth...@yahoo.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 6:14:38 AM UTC-8, Jeff wrote:
    Freddie played a 38B (Connstellation), as did Lee, Maynard, Tom
    Harrell, Jacoby, etc.

I can't speak to quality issues between the 60s and 70s, all the pre-
    UMI Conns I've played were from the late 50s/early 60s.

Freddie Hubbard and lee morgen played a 8b from the 60s not a 38b I have a 1959 38b and 1977 8b two different trumpets but share the wide wrap and small bore both if you understand how to play them some of the finest horns ever built but I do notice
    the difference in Elkhart and texas but the older the better they just don't make the older 38b smooth fast butter like valves peal the paint off of walls chet baker manyard and cat anderson used 38b I know this because I used to take my 38b to the
    keystone corner in san Francisco when I was about 8 or 10 years old and talk to freedie after his set and compare trumpets his was smaller I think some players just don't like holding up a tank when they can get the about the same results with the 8b
    thanks Geoff

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 8:12:48 PM UTC-7, worth...@yahoo.com wrote:
    Harrell, Jacoby, etc.

Freddie Hubbard and lee morgen played a 8b from the 60s not a 38b I have a 1959 38b and 1977 8b two different trumpets but share the wide wrap and small bore both if you understand how to play them some of the finest horns ever built but I do notice
    the difference in Elkhart and texas but the older the better they just don't make the older 38b smooth fast butter like valves peal the paint off of walls chet baker manyard and cat anderson used 38b I know this because I used to take my 38b to the
    keystone corner in san Francisco when I was about 8 or 10 years old and talk to freedie after his set and compare trumpets his was smaller I think some players just don't like holding up a tank when they can get the about the same results with the 8b
    thanks Geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From worthgeoff@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to Jeff on Tue Aug 11 20:12:47 2015
    Harrell, Jacoby, etc.

Freddie Hubbard and lee morgen played a 8b from the 60s not a 38b I have a 1959 38b and 1977 8b two different trumpets but share the wide wrap and small bore both if you understand how to play them some of the finest horns ever built but I do notice the
    difference in Elkhart and texas but the older the better they just don't make the older 38b smooth fast butter like valves peal the paint off of walls chet baker manyard and cat anderson used 38b I know this because I used to take my 38b to the keystone
    corner in san Francisco when I was about 8 or 10 years old and talk to freedie after his set and compare trumpets his was smaller I think some players just don't like holding up a tank when they can get the about the same results with the 8b thanks Geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From morrisoesterly@hotmail.com@21:1/5 to kornelio on Sun Sep 11 13:38:53 2016
    On Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 6:33:44 AM UTC-5, kornelio wrote:
    Hi there, I am trumpet student from Hungary and would like to ask the
    advice of you, more experineced guys. I am interested in jazz and
    could possibly obtain a 1977 Conn Artist 8B trumpet in good condition,
    which is quite rare according to the conn loyalist website.

Do you think it is true that the quality of Conn trumpets deteriorated
    from about 1971 (?) when the company moved from one place to another?
    As far as I know jazz greats like Lee Morgan and Freddy Hubbard used
    this kind of trumpet for some time, but I am sure theirs were made
    back in the 60s. If there might be a substantial difference in quality
    I would rather wait until an older trumpet appears , but if you think
    a 1977 Conn 8B is not very different from a 1960s Conn 8B in quality I
    would consider purchising it. I have no opportunity to try the
    trumpet, but I have 60s Conn 6B (late model) that I quite like.
    Does anyone have any experiences with vintage Artist 8B trumpets?
    I would appreciate any comments, opinions.
    thank you very much
    Endre

It is true that the general quality of Conn instruments went down after 1970.

However, there are some wonderful Conns made in the 1970's.

The problem in quality control in the 1970's meant that there was a greater chance of getting a bad Conn, not that all Conns wre bad in the 1970's.

Just to make up numbers that will give the idea:
    IN the 1960's there might have been 1 percent chance of buying a bad Conn.
    In the 1970's there might have been a 25 percent chance of buying a bad Conn.

All because the company that bought out Conn in 1961 moved the factory to Texas in 1971 to save money by hiring less-experienced workers for less money.

Conn 9A cornet - Copper
    Conn 5A cornet - Silver
    Conn 76A cornet - Lacquer

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From morrisoesterly@hotmail.com@21:1/5 to morriso...@hotmail.com on Sun Sep 11 21:17:12 2016
    On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 4:38:54 PM UTC-4, morriso...@hotmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 6:33:44 AM UTC-5, kornelio wrote:
    Hi there, I am trumpet student from Hungary and would like to ask the advice of you, more experineced guys. I am interested in jazz and
    could possibly obtain a 1977 Conn Artist 8B trumpet in good condition, which is quite rare according to the conn loyalist website.

Do you think it is true that the quality of Conn trumpets deteriorated
    from about 1971 (?) when the company moved from one place to another?
    As far as I know jazz greats like Lee Morgan and Freddy Hubbard used
    this kind of trumpet for some time, but I am sure theirs were made
    back in the 60s. If there might be a substantial difference in quality
    I would rather wait until an older trumpet appears , but if you think
    a 1977 Conn 8B is not very different from a 1960s Conn 8B in quality I would consider purchising it. I have no opportunity to try the
    trumpet, but I have 60s Conn 6B (late model) that I quite like.
    Does anyone have any experiences with vintage Artist 8B trumpets?
    I would appreciate any comments, opinions.
    thank you very much
    Endre

It is true that the general quality of Conn instruments went down after 1970.

However, there are some wonderful Conns made in the 1970's.

The problem in quality control in the 1970's meant that there was a greater chance of getting a bad Conn, not that all Conns wre bad in the 1970's.

Just to make up numbers that will give the idea:
    IN the 1960's there might have been 1 percent chance of buying a bad Conn. In the 1970's there might have been a 25 percent chance of buying a bad Conn.

All because the company that bought out Conn in 1961 moved the factory to Texas in 1971 to save money by hiring less-experienced workers for less money.

Conn 9A cornet - Copper
    Conn 5A cornet - Silver
    Conn 76A cornet - Lacquer

------------

Athritis and blindness again.

Conn was bought out in 1969, then the factory was moved in 1971.

Morris

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05