• Adjustment for optimising violin sound quality

From darrenbriggs2000@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 26 15:33:35 2017
    There are too many variables for simple solutions, but in essence the number one factor in violin sound is the musicianship of the violinist. Secondly, the quality and/or composition of the strings. Lastly the violin itself. Double blind studies show
    that professional musicians often choose modern instruments over expensive antiques.

That being said violinists I believe will do their best when playing on older instrument for no other reason than reverence for an instrument made at the time Beethoven wrote his violin concerto or the like. This is subjective, personal and intuitive all
    qualities difficult to define and certainly non scientific.

Again volin playing is not an exact science, that murky full sound with lots of overtones is what some violinists want while others prefer a dry non-vibratory quality and even appreciate a gritty attack. The composition itself is something to consider in
    what sound should be sought.

And then there is the factor of accident. I once had a painted white cheap Chinese violin that sounded wonderful when playing Bach. Every note with metal strings was bright and clear but it was not as satisfactory for romantic music. I made a big mistake
    in lending the violin to a student who then took it to Nashville and was never seen again. I don't have all the answers and I have been playing in symphony orchestras since age 12 (I am now near 80) and I admit that I got into violin repair and
    experimentation because I was never happy with the repairs done by non playing experts.

As an aside I had a friend spend two years duplicating what he said was Paganini's violin. I didn't have the heart to tell him how terrible was the sound he created. Darren Briggs

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)