• Re: Anyone knows this violin maker E.J. Reed 18xx-19xx??

From Lester Hibbs@21:1/5 to Rosemarie on Sun Dec 11 11:11:44 2022
    On Thursday, April 9, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Rosemarie wrote:
    I have a violin made by this E. J. Reed that lived
    in the turn of the century in Youngstown,
    Ohio, I was told that he lived in Bradford, PA before 1897.
    I would appreciate if anyone can tell me more about this maker and his violins.
    Thanks in advance.

--
    Rosemarie
    Good Luck, Good Health, God Bless You
    rmleung @ibm.net
    Hello, my name is Dee, I have an E.J. Reed dated 1896 in Fallscreek, Pa.
    I found mine in the basement of the house I inherited. I have the case with it, But?? No bow and no strings needs very little work unless it's like a floating bridge.
    I have not even the slightest idea of how much they're worth. If you know, or know who I could contact to find out.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From phil mcglynn@21:1/5 to Lester Hibbs on Sat Jan 28 11:53:29 2023
    On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 2:11:45 PM UTC-5, Lester Hibbs wrote:
    Thanks in advance.

--
    Rosemarie
    rmleung @ibm.net
    I found mine in the basement of the house I inherited. I have the case with it,
    But?? No bow and no strings needs very little work unless it's like a floating
    bridge.
    I have not even the slightest idea of how much they're worth. If you know, or
    know who I could contact to find out.
    Not much info out there about E.J. Reed, but I'll add my bit. I have A Reed violin dated 1884 in Ohio. this instrument is quite unique in its construction. I've never seen another violin shaped like this, similar contours to some Amati shapes I've seen.
    It's very well crafted and perfectly graduated. This violin is light and delicate however quite sturdy with no cracks. the wood isn't particularly nice, and the varnish is very poorly applied. finger board is mahogany. Aside from the varnish and wood
    quality this is a master level build and an impressive instrument in my opinion and is one of the best sounding fiddles I've had the pleasure of playing. unfortunately, value is subjective when it comes to unknown American makers so I can't give an
    estimate but will say I am very pleased with mine.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tommy Hawkins@21:1/5 to phil mcglynn on Thu Jun 22 18:07:16 2023
    On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 2:53:30 PM UTC-5, phil mcglynn wrote:
    Thanks in advance.

--
    Rosemarie
    rmleung @ibm.net
    ***********************Hello my name is Jamie and I I also inherited a a b Reed violin and it is dated from March 10 1908 ridgeway pa. If anyone of u can tell me about it. Right back plz
    bridge.
    Not much info out there about E.J. Reed, but I'll add my bit. I have A Reed violin dated 1884 in Ohio. this instrument is quite unique in its construction. I've never seen another violin shaped like this, similar contours to some Amati shapes I've seen.
    It's very well crafted and perfectly graduated. This violin is light and delicate however quite sturdy with no cracks. the wood isn't particularly nice, and the varnish is very poorly applied. finger board is mahogany. Aside from the varnish and wood
    quality this is a master level build and an impressive instrument in my opinion and is one of the best sounding fiddles I've had the pleasure of playing. unfortunately, value is subjective when it comes to unknown American makers so I can't give an

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tommy Hawkins@21:1/5 to phil mcglynn on Thu Jun 22 18:02:24 2023
    On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 2:53:30 PM UTC-5, phil mcglynn wrote:
    Thanks in advance.

--
    Rosemarie
    rmleung @ibm.net
    bridge.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05