• The James Horner Effect

From jaxmusic@gmx.com@21:1/5 to Beth Bergman Fisher on Mon Sep 28 18:39:11 2015
    On Tuesday, April 4, 2000 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Beth Bergman Fisher wrote:
    It's been occurring to me that perhaps film music is becoming the most important for contemporary composers.

Most important for what?

We could call it the "James Horner
    Effect."

Why do I feel like I'm in the pit listening to typical musician banter?

I read today that Horner studied to be a "serious" music composer
    at the Royal Academy of Music and UCLA, but became disillusioned and turned to writing for television and film.

Nobody becomes disillusioned with serious music (why is it in italics?). However, interesting musicians sometimes want more than formal education provides. On the other hand, having worked with Mr Horner & his brethren (what we might call the lucky few)
    I can tell you for sure that he wanted to get into the industry for the money.

Unfortunately, 200 years from now, the
    name Horner will be much better known than George Crumb, or Elliott Carter.

This is so presumptuous about our descendants. Actually, if we go deep enough into the future chances are we would see people so much more evolved than they are today (especially in the music publishing racket) that these evolved people will have figured
    out how to avoid the hype & discover the true musicianship hidden, neglected underneath from our Neanderthal age.

I guess it's nice that truly talented composers have a way to earn a lot of money.

"Truly talented composers" are a dime a dozen when it comes to writing the kind of mainstream material Horner wrote. The difference is always that there are so many of us (I compose on average a song equal in quality to Titanic about once a week, as did
    Mr Horner to be sure) that only a few are allowed to reap any respect for this music talent. That's called getting a break in the industry. But the most disturbing part of your posts, typical of American mentality, is how you conveniently forget to
    mention everything I just did. Why? Because then you would be considered too "negative" & that would threaten your pro reputation etc etc

Thoughts? bbf

You asked for it & I gave it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)