• FX for Nylon to sound like Steel?

From raelkidder@gmail.com@21:1/5 to John on Mon Mar 5 11:40:04 2018
    On Sunday, June 27, 2004 at 9:12:57 PM UTC+1, John wrote:
    What sort of effects would make nylon classical guitar sound more like
    a steel string? The nylon sound could come either from a piezo pickup
    or from a mic.
    Thanks,
    John

i have a korg pandora px4a which has steel string and 12 strings settings, you can get em second hand, might be worth a look

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From mark.bluemel@gmail.com@21:1/5 to raelk...@gmail.com on Tue Mar 6 00:35:58 2018
    On Monday, 5 March 2018 19:40:08 UTC, raelk...@gmail.com wrote:
    What sort of effects would make nylon classical guitar sound more like
    a steel string? The nylon sound could come either from a piezo pickup
    or from a mic.
    Thanks,
    John

i have a korg pandora px4a which has steel string and 12 strings settings, you can get em second hand, might be worth a look

14 years on, I suspect John's either found a solution or stopped caring...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve Hawkins@21:1/5 to mark.bluemel@gmail.com on Tue Mar 6 15:34:17 2018
    mark.bluemel@gmail.com wrote in news:b2c0b813-375b-4545-b9d4-31c2a05d3341@googlegroups.com:

What sort of effects would make nylon classical guitar sound more
    like a steel string? The nylon sound could come either from a
    piezo pickup or from a mic.
    Thanks,
    John

i have a korg pandora px4a which has steel string and 12 strings
    settings, you can get em second hand, might be worth a look

14 years on, I suspect John's either found a solution or stopped
    caring...

....or saved up enough for a used Martin or Taylor.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve Freides@21:1/5 to Steve Hawkins on Tue Mar 6 14:26:26 2018
    Steve Hawkins wrote:
    mark.bluemel@gmail.com wrote in news:b2c0b813-375b-4545-b9d4-31c2a05d3341@googlegroups.com:

Thanks,
    John

caring...

Spruce top, high tension strings.

Or a Martin or Taylor.

-S-

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steven Bornfeld@21:1/5 to Steve Freides on Sun Mar 11 15:20:08 2018
    On 3/6/2018 2:26 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
    Steve Hawkins wrote:
    mark.bluemel@gmail.com wrote in
    news:b2c0b813-375b-4545-b9d4-31c2a05d3341@googlegroups.com:

Thanks,
    John

caring...

Spruce top, high tension strings.

Or a Martin or Taylor.

-S-

...or a Framus.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Shane Cammell@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 1 05:00:26 2020
    I'm curious about this idea as I play a nylon string but am influenced by Tommy Emmanuel. I can't play a steel string as the strings break my right hand nails. Just thought the idea of a bright attack for a few tunes might be handy :)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Thompson@21:1/5 to nzgui...@gmail.com on Thu Feb 18 19:47:18 2021
    On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 8:00:28 AM UTC-4, nzgui...@gmail.com wrote:
    I'm curious about this idea as I play a nylon string but am influenced by Tommy Emmanuel. I can't play a steel string as the strings break my right hand nails. Just thought the idea of a bright attack for a few tunes might be handy :)
    I've ordered a set of Thomastik-Infield Classic S rope core strings for a Godin Multiac Grand Concert SA guitar. This is a nylon electric. Actually got if for comfort: tried a zillion guitars at price points from $300 to $2,000, at half the guitar shops
    in a city of 3 million. Hadn't played in 35 years, have osteoarthritis in my fingers and couldn't make chords work on anything steel. Still had the Ovation but it was useless to me: too narrow. Went nylon for the wider neck, at least until I can hammer
    my fingers & brain into remembering/relearning chord shapes and fretboard. (Be warned, folks: it ain't like riding a bike, learn once & you know it forever. Playing a guitar is what they call "a perishable skill": use it or lose it).
    The action on the Godin is unbelievable. Not even a mid-range Taylor came close. This is playable for me all the way to the top of the fretboard, though I'm still working on barre chords with a four-fret span (used to...). Three's ok though. Nylon in
    general have a wider neck but most classical guitars (Spanish esp.) have a much higher action than I ever liked, even when I was younger, and the action on my Ovation was too high for these fingers to re-learn. The Godin looked do-able - amazingly low in
    fact. Bizarrely low, yet they don't buzz when strummed. This thing offers synth access but I doubt I'll ever use it.
    Fast forward 3 months. Ramped slowly, but I'm improving, & I think I made an acceptable choice. Especially given the limited options during the COVID shutdown. I can even travis pick again though the left hand's coming much more slowly (barres are a
    bitch - too muddy). The Godin sounds good but not great bare (it IS an electric semi-hollow body, after all) - quite different than a traditional acoustic - but run through an amp it sounds great. I may never perform again but if I did this would be
    every bit as acceptable as the Ovation and anything else I've ever played. Where it really shines for me, though, is playability: I don't remember a Martin D35 being this comfortable to play. But it is heavy as hell - I don't like that. Once my fingers
    get back & I can deal with narrower string spacing I may swap or add a steel string acoustic (soliciting suggestions if anyone has advice to offer). Or just get happy focusing entirely on fingerpicking nylon.
    I like the sound & playability of the strings Godin uses and I'm sure these have plenty more life in them, but I've ordered the Thomastik strings anyhow. They're flat wound soft steel and promise a much longer sustain than standard nylon, & I've seen
    suggestions on the web that the tension is acceptable for nylon-strung guitars (if that's not true someone please chip in). I'll report on whether they deliver.
    Anyone care to comment? Offer suggestions?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Thompson@21:1/5 to alcarruth on Fri Feb 19 10:52:46 2021
    On Monday, June 28, 2004 at 9:40:15 AM UTC-4, alcarruth wrote:
    You could go the 'all natural; route, and switch to Thomastic "S" series classical strings. These have a core of fine steel wire rope, even on the high
    E, but are designed to have the same overall tension as 'normal' nylon strings.
    They're sort of expensive, but they will give your classical guitar that steel
    sound.
    Alan Carruth / Luthier
    An old message stream but perhaps you're still out there, Alan. Glad you left the comment. I'm on nylon but occasionally miss the sound of steel strings.

I've ordered a set of Thomastik-Infield Classic S rope core strings for a Godin Multiac Grand Concert SA guitar. This is a nylon electric. Actually got if for comfort: tried a zillion guitars at price points from $300 to $2,000, at half the guitar shops
    in a city of 3 million. Hadn't played in 35 years, have osteoarthritis in my fingers and couldn't make chords work on anything steel. Still had the Ovation but it was useless to me: too narrow, fingers weren't working. Went nylon for the wider neck, at
    least until I can hammer my fingers & brain into remembering/relearning chord shapes and fretboard. (Be warned: it ain't like riding a bike, learn once & you know it forever. Playing a guitar is what they call "a perishable skill": use it or lose it).

The action on the Godin is unbelievable. Not even a mid-range Taylor came close. This is playable for me all the way to the top of the fretboard, though I'm still working on barre chords with a four-fret span (used to...). Three's ok though. Nylon in
    general have a wider neck but most classical guitars (Spanish esp.) have a much higher action than I ever liked, even when I was younger, and the action on my Ovation was too high for these fingers to re-learn. The Godin looked do-able - amazingly low,
    yet they don't buzz when strummed. This thing offers synth access but I doubt I'll ever use it.

Fast forward 3 months. Ramped slowly, but I'm improving, & I think I made an acceptable choice. Especially given the limited options during the COVID shutdown. I can even travis pick again though the left hand's coming much more slowly (barres are a
    bitch - still muddy & plagued w dead strings). The Godin sounds good but not great bare (it IS an electric semi-hollow body, after all) - quite different from a traditional acoustic - but run through an amp it sounds great. I may never perform again but
    if I did this would be every bit as acceptable as the Ovation and anything else I've ever played. Where it really shines for me, though, is playability: I don't remember a Martin D35 being this comfortable to play. But the Godin is heavy as hell - I don'
    t like that. Once my fingers get back & I can deal with narrower string spacing I may swap or add a steel string acoustic (soliciting suggestions if anyone has advice to offer). Or just get happy focusing entirely on fingerpicking nylon.

I like the sound & playability of the strings Godin uses and I'm sure these have plenty more life in them, but I've ordered the Thomastik strings anyhow. I'll report on whether they deliver.
    It's been 16 years since you made your suggestion. Anything come to mind now?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05