• Bending hints for Black Acacia

From stujennings@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 3 04:19:45 2018
    Just bought a black acacia set from LMI. Looks like it's going to make a beautiful guitar (if I don't screw it up.) I'm using the LMI bender that I've used successfully with rosewood and mahogany. I'll be building a dreadnought.

Any hints before I get stared?

Thanks,
    Stuart Jennings

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From mark.bluemel@gmail.com@21:1/5 to stuje...@gmail.com on Thu Jan 4 01:26:57 2018
    On Wednesday, 3 January 2018 12:19:48 UTC, stuje...@gmail.com wrote:
    Just bought a black acacia set from LMI. Looks like it's going to make a beautiful guitar (if I don't screw it up.) I'm using the LMI bender that I've used successfully with rosewood and mahogany. I'll be building a dreadnought.

Any hints before I get stared?

Thanks,
    Stuart Jennings

I'm not trying to be negative, but

This newsgroup is almost dead (in common with Usenet generally), and isn't specifically about lutherie.

You may get more response from a more focussed forum, for example using
    the search term "luthiers forum".

If you are on Facebook, I suspect there will be a plethora of luthier groups there.

Good luck

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From thefoundation0@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 26 22:47:41 2018
    Hi. I just finished an Australian Blackwood 0000. There’s no magic. If the set is curly make sure you bend slowly. If bending with a hot pipe let the steam do the work. Keep even / constant pressure. When it’s ready it will bend with little
    effort. If you force it will split. Use spring steel to support. keep an eye out for shadow knots and avoid putting them in the bend if possible. Thin appropriately for the set. Mine was fairly stiff. I thicknesses to .100 for bending. Good luck.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05