• Jewel signature Taylor

From duolian@msn.com@21:1/5 to Steve Daniels on Mon Jan 20 05:22:00 2020
    On Friday, January 29, 2016 at 5:52:21 PM UTC-5, Steve Daniels wrote:
    On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 13:54:00 -0800 (PST), against all advice, something compelled platform4education@gmail.com, to say:

You sound like a bit of a twat mate - the type I get in my shop all the time

Wade may have made some improvements over the last fifteen and a half
    years since he posted this.

I have a Taylor John Cephas model. John was a good friend of mine and gave me one as a gift when they were issued back in 2000. A really great guitar as far as balance and playability, but I rarely played it being more of a "Gibson-guy" myself.
    Probably less than three or four hours in total since he gave it to me back in 2000. I was amazed when the last time I went to play it a few weeks ago one of the gold-plated Schaller tuners totally went out and would no longer work. (Schaller is supposed
    to be really premium maker.) Taylor was of no help. They couldn't even tell me the model of the tuners used on the guitar. Searching the web, I might have found a set of what might be the replacements, however I don't particularly want to pay $250 for a
    new set of six tuners that I'm not really positive are exactly the same.

On Thursday, 27 July 2000 08:00:00 UTC+1, Hojo2x wrote:
    This afternoon I stopped by my local Taylor dealer, only to discover a brand
    new Jewel Kilcher signature model Taylor hanging from the wall.

It's quite striking in a low-key sort of way - it reminded me of both the >> Martin EMP-1 and the Tacoma EM-9 with its understated elegance.

The body shape is Taylor's answer to the OM, their x14 size. The one for sale
    here in Anchorage has just a killer Sitka spruce top on it, with extensive >> silking and a tight grain. But I couldn't figure out what the tonewood on the
    back and sides was: it looked almost like a quilted mahogany, but the structure
    of the pores was closer to koa, and the color of it (glimpsed through the >> soundhole) was more like myrtle.

I picked it up, played it with my bare fingers and it really barked! I was
    quite impressive with its tonal balance and suprisingly emphatic bass response.

Digging around in my pockets, I couldn't find a flatpick (which is unusual for
    me.) So I went back out front to find one and to ask the sales staff more >> about the guitar.

It's one of these stores where there are usually three or four sales clerks
    hanging around doing nothing, yet the high end acoustic room is always
    deserted. It's as though they're afraid that if they hang out there and answer
    customer questions, not only is there a chance that they'll actually sell >> something, but they might contract the dreaded "Acoustic Dweeb" syndrome, too.

Next thing you know they'll be playing coffeehouses and writing sensitive >> songs: "Here's a song I wrote about why you shouldn't use ivory on musical
    instruments..."

So these three headbangers were standing around behind the counter, looking
    bored, and so I asked them: "What's the wood on the back and sides of that new
    Jewel Kilcher Taylor?"

"I dunno."

"I dunno."

"I dunno."

Then the most helpful of the three (the one with the short haircut and the >> hipster goatee) said: "We just got that guitar in two days ago, so we don't
    know much about it yet."

Then I asked: "Is there any promotional literature on it, some description I
    can read?"

"Nope."

"Nope."

"Nope."

Tired of the vacant looks and near-total apathy of the sales staff, I grabbed a
    flatpick from the display headed and headed back to the acoustic room.

I played it with a pick for quite a while longer than I had with my bare >> fingers, and was even more impressed with the sound and projection of the >> guitar. It really had a voice.

Just as I was hanging the guitar back on the wall, the store manager walked
    into the first acoustic room with a couple of Dutch Harbor fishermen in tow.
    They'd obviously just shared out from their last fishing voyage, had money in
    their pockets and were in the mood to spend, so I certainly didn't to interfere
    with his sale. But he gave me an opening when he said: "Hi, Wade."

"Hi, Randy. Do you happen to know what the wood on this Jewel model Taylor
    is?"

"Koa" he said without breaking stride.

Yeah, right, I thought, koa with a bad case of Hepatitis C, maybe. But it was
    too jaundiced-looking to be any koa I'VE ever seen, and I've seen an immense
    amount of koa.

But as Randy and the fishermen walked past me and into the inner acoustic room,
    I spotted several copies of the current Taylor publication "Wood & Steel" on a
    rack, so I grabbed one.

Needless to say, it had the whole story right there, and - needless to say -
    it's not koa, it's satinwood.

I had never seen satinwood on a musical instrument before, which is why I >> hadn't recognized it, but after reading their copy I didn't feel so bad: >> "Satinwood is a strikingly beautiful hardwood that, as far as we know, has >> never been used to make solid-wood guitars. Our stain brings out the wood's
    latent "light gold" coloration. Tonally, satinwood is similar to maple, but
    with a stronger bottom/bass."

I'm not sure that I would have described the tone in quite the same way: I >> might have described it as sounding like "koa lite." But it had an
    exceptionally good sound, and I was quite impressed with it.

I went back up front, paid for the flatpick, and said: "Mystery solved, boys -
    it's made out of satinwood. Says so right here in the latest issue of "Wood &
    Steel." There's a whole stack of these back there, so you can read up on it if
    you like."

"Oh, okay," said the guy with the goatee.

The other two didn't bother saying anything....

Anyway, it's a nice guitar - high gloss top, satin finish on the back and >> sides, reasonably priced. The price tag on this one was $1598, which I assume
    is full list, knowing how my local guys do business. (You can talk them down
    if you do some checking beforehand, but they'll make you work for it.)

It had an amazingly mature, full voice for a brand new instrument, and I was
    quite impressed, overall. The action was great, it played like a dream, and it
    introduced me to a tonewood I didn't know existed.

Which doesn't happen every day, believe me.

So - yeah, I liked it. Nice guitar.

Wade Hampton Miller

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From odrogirp@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Feb 11 12:02:52 2020
    On Thursday, July 27, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Hojo2x wrote:
    This afternoon I stopped by my local Taylor dealer, only to discover a brand new Jewel Kilcher signature model Taylor hanging from the wall.

It's quite striking in a low-key sort of way - it reminded me of both the Martin EMP-1 and the Tacoma EM-9 with its understated elegance.

The body shape is Taylor's answer to the OM, their x14 size. The one for sale
    here in Anchorage has just a killer Sitka spruce top on it, with extensive silking and a tight grain. But I couldn't figure out what the tonewood on the
    back and sides was: it looked almost like a quilted mahogany, but the structure
    of the pores was closer to koa, and the color of it (glimpsed through the soundhole) was more like myrtle.

I picked it up, played it with my bare fingers and it really barked! I was quite impressive with its tonal balance and suprisingly emphatic bass response.

Digging around in my pockets, I couldn't find a flatpick (which is unusual for
    me.) So I went back out front to find one and to ask the sales staff more about the guitar.

It's one of these stores where there are usually three or four sales clerks hanging around doing nothing, yet the high end acoustic room is always deserted. It's as though they're afraid that if they hang out there and answer
    customer questions, not only is there a chance that they'll actually sell something, but they might contract the dreaded "Acoustic Dweeb" syndrome, too.

Next thing you know they'll be playing coffeehouses and writing sensitive songs: "Here's a song I wrote about why you shouldn't use ivory on musical instruments..."

So these three headbangers were standing around behind the counter, looking bored, and so I asked them: "What's the wood on the back and sides of that new
    Jewel Kilcher Taylor?"

"I dunno."

"I dunno."

"I dunno."

Then the most helpful of the three (the one with the short haircut and the hipster goatee) said: "We just got that guitar in two days ago, so we don't know much about it yet."

Then I asked: "Is there any promotional literature on it, some description I can read?"

"Nope."

"Nope."

"Nope."

Tired of the vacant looks and near-total apathy of the sales staff, I grabbed a
    flatpick from the display headed and headed back to the acoustic room.

I played it with a pick for quite a while longer than I had with my bare fingers, and was even more impressed with the sound and projection of the guitar. It really had a voice.

Just as I was hanging the guitar back on the wall, the store manager walked into the first acoustic room with a couple of Dutch Harbor fishermen in tow. They'd obviously just shared out from their last fishing voyage, had money in their pockets and were in the mood to spend, so I certainly didn't to interfere
    with his sale. But he gave me an opening when he said: "Hi, Wade."

"Hi, Randy. Do you happen to know what the wood on this Jewel model Taylor is?"

"Koa" he said without breaking stride.

Yeah, right, I thought, koa with a bad case of Hepatitis C, maybe. But it was
    too jaundiced-looking to be any koa I'VE ever seen, and I've seen an immense amount of koa.

But as Randy and the fishermen walked past me and into the inner acoustic room,
    I spotted several copies of the current Taylor publication "Wood & Steel" on a
    rack, so I grabbed one.

Needless to say, it had the whole story right there, and - needless to say - it's not koa, it's satinwood.

I had never seen satinwood on a musical instrument before, which is why I hadn't recognized it, but after reading their copy I didn't feel so bad: "Satinwood is a strikingly beautiful hardwood that, as far as we know, has never been used to make solid-wood guitars. Our stain brings out the wood's latent "light gold" coloration. Tonally, satinwood is similar to maple, but with a stronger bottom/bass."

I'm not sure that I would have described the tone in quite the same way: I might have described it as sounding like "koa lite." But it had an exceptionally good sound, and I was quite impressed with it.

I went back up front, paid for the flatpick, and said: "Mystery solved, boys -
    it's made out of satinwood. Says so right here in the latest issue of "Wood &
    Steel." There's a whole stack of these back there, so you can read up on it if
    you like."

"Oh, okay," said the guy with the goatee.

The other two didn't bother saying anything....

Anyway, it's a nice guitar - high gloss top, satin finish on the back and sides, reasonably priced. The price tag on this one was $1598, which I assume
    is full list, knowing how my local guys do business. (You can talk them down if you do some checking beforehand, but they'll make you work for it.)

It had an amazingly mature, full voice for a brand new instrument, and I was quite impressed, overall. The action was great, it played like a dream, and it
    introduced me to a tonewood I didn't know existed.

Which doesn't happen every day, believe me.

So - yeah, I liked it. Nice guitar.

Wade Hampton Miller

Just a note that the Taylor 14 series is much closer to a Martin 0000 than an OM. Both have 16" lower bout. Taylor 12 series and OM/000 are closer to 14".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)