• Ovation owners: How do you keep it from slipping?

From neasmichael6412@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Kinstrey on Tue Jan 29 07:30:22 2019
    On Wednesday, February 15, 1995 at 1:07:13 PM UTC-8, Kinstrey wrote:
    I just picked up an Ovation Ultra Deluxe super-shallow-bowl,
    and am having problems keeping it in my lap while playing.
    Does anyone have a any suggestions for preventing the slippage?
    I'm thinking of attaching some kind of foam-rubber lining or
    something non-skid to the bottom of the guitar, but I'm not
    sure. I not thrilled with the idea of glueing something to
    the guitar, 'cuz how do I then remove it to replace it?

Any ideas?
    Mike
    --
    __________________________________________________________________________ Mike Kinstrey (518)385-8214 "...like Houston. It's 180 degrees, kinstrmi@gnes02.sch.ge.com but it's a dry heat." kinstrmi@phecda.crd.ge.com - "Space-Dye Vest", Dream Theater __________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for your question, I've been shopping for qn ovation and now I will not buy one for this reason

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From geoff@21:1/5 to neasmichael6412@gmail.com on Wed Jan 30 12:50:11 2019
    On 30/01/2019 4:30 AM, neasmichael6412@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, February 15, 1995 at 1:07:13 PM UTC-8, Kinstrey wrote:
    I just picked up an Ovation Ultra Deluxe super-shallow-bowl,
    and am having problems keeping it in my lap while playing.
    Does anyone have a any suggestions for preventing the slippage?
    I'm thinking of attaching some kind of foam-rubber lining or
    something non-skid to the bottom of the guitar, but I'm not
    sure. I not thrilled with the idea of glueing something to
    the guitar, 'cuz how do I then remove it to replace it?

Any ideas?
    Mike
    --
    __________________________________________________________________________ >> Mike Kinstrey (518)385-8214 "...like Houston. It's 180 degrees,
    kinstrmi@gnes02.sch.ge.com but it's a dry heat."
    kinstrmi@phecda.crd.ge.com - "Space-Dye Vest", Dream Theater

Thank you for your question, I've been shopping for qn ovation and now I will not buy one for this reason

Jeepers a reply to a 14-year-old question !

Answer 1 - Use a strap.
    Answer 2 - Don't sit.
    Answer 3 - Don't buy this guitar is answers 1 and 2 are a problem.

geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nil@21:1/5 to geoff on Wed Jan 30 15:57:09 2019
    On 29 Jan 2019, geoff <geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org> wrote in rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic:

Thank you for your question, I've been shopping for qn ovation
    and now I will not buy one for this reason

Jeepers a reply to a 14-year-old question !

Answer 1 - Use a strap.
    Answer 2 - Don't sit.
    Answer 3 - Don't buy this guitar is answers 1 and 2 are a problem.

My Ovation has a rough, almost sandpaper-y patch on the lower side so
    it can grip the leg when you're seated. It works pretty well. I prefer
    to stand in any case. I don't play this guitar much, but that's not
    because of any slipping issue.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Easy T@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 30 00:04:12 2021
    There is a good solution below to keep your Ovation from slipping. You don’t have to stand up, or use a strap or simply not use Ovation the way you want to. Please read on=>

Ovation's kick ass in a lot of ways and they have their own sound. I have a 1977 USA Glen Campbell that had a crescent shaped anti-slip pad on it that was coming off so I just yanked it off the rest of the way. Ovation used to sell them with this feature
    but they got away from it in the 80's for whatever reason. I then bought a US made 1978 model 1768 Elite, black with gold h/ware. Both are amplified and both have their place in the studio. When I began playing 45 minute sets on Pearl Street in Boulder,
    CO I noticed my model 1768 would slip, a real drag when playing live sitting down. And come to think of it the Glen Campbell also slipped when sitting after I pulled what was left of the factory anti-slip pad off.

I have other dreadnaughts I can play on Pearl Street but I happen to like the way my 1768 sounds when amplified a bit through my AC/DC, battery powered Roland Micro Cube amp.

So I therefore needed to keep if from slipping, and this is what I came up with:

1) Foam like kitchen cabinet liners. Cut to size and use silicone to adhere it to the bottom edge of the guitar where it makes contact with your thigh. Don't use Epoxy or super glue or similar adhesive because they are difficult to get off of the guitar
    when the anti-slip pad begins to wear out and you want to replace it with a new one, or when you want to remove it for whatever reason. I've found that a "fat" oval shape is best.

2) Get anti-slip tape with adhesive backing from Home Depot and Lowes. 3M makes it and they call it Safety-Walk. It comes in pieces about 20” x 5” for about $8.00. Ace h/ware also sells something similar but they are smaller pre-cut pieces and they
    are $12.00. Use MS Word or MS PowerPoint or similar to draw the correct size oval for your Ovation to use as a template. The size will depend on the depth of the bowl, but you want as much contact as possible for best results. Cut the template out after
    printing it and trace around it on the backing paper. Then use aviation snips (or your wife’s good crafting scissors if you enjoy sleeping on the couch for a week or more) to cut out the oval anti-slip pad. Carefully install it and your Ovation will no
    longer slip while playing sitting down.

3) Buy a no-slip pad from the grocery store in the gadget aisle. Women use these to help them open cans and such, and they will also keep your Ovation in place nicely. These pads are about 6” square so you will need to cut to size.
    Number 2 (above) is my preferred method because of the adhesive backing. This makes it easier to install. I have never tried number 3, but may if I get a third Ovation.

Good luck with it and hope you can now enjoy your Ovation for years to come, even when playing while sitting down.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05