• Music in the ICU, NEA grant

From Andrew Schulman@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 17 17:29:12 2021
    I have spent my time during this pandemic doing three things. One, writing a second book. Two, organizing the music for a new study of music in ICUs which just got a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts:
    https://lombardi.georgetown.edu/lombardi-stories/georgetown-lombardi-arts-and-humanities-program-receives-national-endowment-for-the-arts-grant/
    Three, letting my hair grow long again, like I had it back in the hippie days of the early seventies.

Only here at the good 'ol RMCG would I include number three.

Andrew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Andrew Schulman@21:1/5 to mattf...@gmail.com on Wed Feb 17 20:04:18 2021
    On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 10:47:29 PM UTC-5, mattf...@gmail.com wrote:
    Andrew Schulman wrote:
    I have spent my time during this pandemic doing three things. One,
    writing a second book. Two, organizing the music for a new study of music in ICUs which just got a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts: https://lombardi.georgetown.edu/lombardi-stories/georgetown-lombardi-arts-and-humanities-program-receives-national-endowment-for-the-arts-grant/
    Three, letting my hair grow long again, like I had it back in the hippie days of the early seventies.

Andrew

Ever since then, I’ve thought that the rhythmic and sound-quality aspects of music are primary to our attraction to music.

Sound that serves this lower self are rich in harmonics.
    A full bass response in the music is needed.

The rhythm needs to be pulsating in a danceable way.
    --
    Matt

There is a lot to learn when you do medical music. We are hoping this study will be the first of a series.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Matt Faunce@21:1/5 to Andrew Schulman on Thu Feb 18 03:47:27 2021
    Andrew Schulman <andrew@abacaproductions.com> wrote:
    I have spent my time during this pandemic doing three things. One,
    writing a second book. Two, organizing the music for a new study of music
    in ICUs which just got a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts: https://lombardi.georgetown.edu/lombardi-stories/georgetown-lombardi-arts-and-humanities-program-receives-national-endowment-for-the-arts-grant/
    Three, letting my hair grow long again, like I had it back in the hippie
    days of the early seventies.

Andrew

On the second thing, I have this story. Many years ago I was at a small new-year’s-eve party. There were 10-12 people there, and I had known
    everyone for years. I drank way too much whiskey. The more I drank, the
    more I danced. After I had my last drink, I knew that if I stopped dancing,
    the room would soon start spinning. So, to everyone’s amusement, I kept dancing. The music playing was mostly classic rock or stuff with a strong rhythm. Then someone changed the music to my own solo-guitar recording of
    an abstract expressionist piece (which is on a complication CD). This was
    the last thing I wanted to hear. I tried dancing over it anyway, but that wasn’t good enough. I needed that pulsating, danceable rhythm, the bass,
    and the saturated sound that electric instruments give so well.

Ever since then, I’ve thought that the rhythmic and sound-quality aspects
    of music are primary to our attraction to music. Harmony, melody and composition are secondary. Perhaps the ethereal harmonies of Debussy and
    the bare, delicate sounds of the classical guitar appeal mostly to our
    higher selves, and not very much to our lower selves. We love them because we’ve come to recognize the needs of our higher selves, and also because we recognize that these needs aren’t satisfied with most music that’s available. But, in an inebriated state, well, I for one, felt the need for music that wholly serves the primitive, lower self. I wonder if the needs,
    that can be met with music, of certain categories of critical care patients
    are similar.

Sound that serves this lower self are rich in harmonics. The saturated, distortion from an electric guitar, with bass and drums fill the need very well. I can imagine a string quartet, especially with a percussionist would fulfill the need, also. On the opposite end are classical guitar, harp, and flute.

A full bass response in the music is needed.

The rhythm needs to be pulsating in a danceable way.

By the term, higher self, I was thinking of a theory that philosopher,
    Joseph Margolis, puts forward saying our thoughts are in two major camps,
    viz., enlanguaged thought and non-languaged thoughts. Non-human animals
    only have the latter, as did our pre-languaged ancestors. Although it may
    be that the division of music, meeting the higher vs. lower self, is a
    division wholly within what Margolis called enlanguaged thought. I’d like
    to see studies of animals’ responses to the different types of music that I describe.

--
    Matt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Curmudgeon@21:1/5 to and...@abacaproductions.com on Wed Feb 24 09:43:09 2021
    On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 8:29:14 PM UTC-5, and...@abacaproductions.com wrote:
    I have spent my time during this pandemic doing three things. One, writing a second book. Two, organizing the music for a new study of music in ICUs which just got a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts:
    https://lombardi.georgetown.edu/lombardi-stories/georgetown-lombardi-arts-and-humanities-program-receives-national-endowment-for-the-arts-grant/

Andrew
    Geez, Andrew, if I'da known you were visiting Georgetown I would have asked you to come to the Medstar Washington Hospital Center in early Jan where I was recovering from triple bypass surgery. I could have used some tunes in the ICU!.But I managed to
    recover without - doing fine now. But my playing has suffered - I'm not having much luck in that department. Getting old sucks.

Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Schulman@21:1/5 to Curmudgeon on Wed Feb 24 19:05:47 2021
    On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 12:43:10 PM UTC-5, Curmudgeon wrote:
    On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 8:29:14 PM UTC-5,:

Andrew
    Geez, Andrew, if I'da known you were visiting Georgetown I would have asked you to come to the Medstar Washington Hospital Center in early Jan where I was recovering from triple bypass surgery. I could have used some tunes in the ICU!.But I managed to
    recover without - doing fine now. But my playing has suffered - I'm not having much luck in that department. Getting old sucks.

Dave
    Hey Dave, As it's my 69th birthday today I can say I agree with you, getting old sucks. Would have been quite happy to play for you if I could have been there. Glad to hear you are doing fine now. All best, Andrew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Curmudgeon@21:1/5 to and...@abacaproductions.com on Thu Feb 25 06:47:34 2021
    On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 10:05:49 PM UTC-5, and...@abacaproductions.com wrote:

Andrew
    Geez, Andrew, if I'da known you were visiting Georgetown I would have asked you to come to the Medstar Washington Hospital Center in early Jan where I was recovering from triple bypass surgery. I could have used some tunes in the ICU!.But I managed
    to recover without - doing fine now. But my playing has suffered - I'm not having much luck in that department. Getting old sucks.

Dave
    Hey Dave, As it's my 69th birthday today I can say I agree with you, getting old sucks. Would have been quite happy to play for you if I could have been there. Glad to hear you are doing fine now. All best, Andrew
    Thanks, Andrew - Happy Birthday to you! You're still going strong and accomplishing a lot, which is a lot more than I can say. I'm now closer to 78 than 77 and am managing to remain mostly vertical.
    Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ken Blake@21:1/5 to Andrew Schulman on Thu Feb 25 09:10:20 2021
    On 2/24/2021 8:05 PM, Andrew Schulman wrote:

Andrew

Dave
    Hey Dave, As it's my 69th birthday today I can say I agree with you, getting old sucks.

As you both probably know, it's better than the alternative.

Anyway, 69 isn't old; you're a youngster. I'm 83.

--
    Ken

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steven Bornfeld@21:1/5 to Andrew Schulman on Thu Feb 25 13:15:49 2021
    On 2/24/2021 10:05 PM, Andrew Schulman wrote:

Andrew

Dave

Happy Birthday, old man!

Steve

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Carmichael@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 25 19:22:19 2021
    El 25/2/21 a las 17:10, Ken Blake escribió:

I think I might do a usenet venn diagram.

--
    Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Schulman@21:1/5 to Steven Bornfeld on Fri Feb 26 19:48:55 2021
    On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 1:15:52 PM UTC-5, Steven Bornfeld wrote:

Happy Birthday, old man!

Steve

Why thank you, young man!

Andrew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Schulman@21:1/5 to Paul Carmichael on Fri Feb 26 19:48:06 2021
    On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 1:22:22 PM UTC-5, Paul Carmichael wrote:

--
    Paul.

Had to look up Venn diagram again, because at my age, I don't remember stuff too good anymore. Except for Bach fugues.

Andrew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Carmichael@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 27 13:25:42 2021
    El 27/2/21 a las 4:48, Andrew Schulman escribió:
    On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 1:22:22 PM UTC-5, Paul Carmichael wrote:

Had to look up Venn diagram again, because at my age, I don't remember stuff too good anymore. Except for Bach fugues.

I'm subscribed to very few groups, and I see familiar names over several of them. I wonder
    if it's pure coincidence.

--
    Paul.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05