• OT: Google Groups Access to Usenet

From Matt Faunce@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 15 21:29:26 2021
    I wonder how many people used to post messages here via Google Groups on
    their phone, but now don’t post here because that’s not an option anymore. I just noticed this on Google Groups:

“Using new Groups on mobile

“You can use Groups on your mobile device to search for and view groups, conversations, and your membership settings.

“To perform tasks such as creating a group or posting to a conversation,
    use the full desktop version of Groups. Many popular browsers let you view
    the desktop version of a site on a mobile device. For example, in Google Chrome, in the top right,”

--
    Matt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Matt Faunce@21:1/5 to Matt Faunce on Sat May 15 21:46:27 2021
    Matt Faunce <mattfaunce@gmail.com> wrote:
    I wonder how many people used to post messages here via Google Groups on their phone, but now don’t post here because that’s not an option anymore.
    I just noticed this on Google Groups:

“You can use Groups on your mobile device to search for and view groups, conversations, and your membership settings.

“To perform tasks such as creating a group or posting to a conversation, use the full desktop version of Groups. Many popular browsers let you view the desktop version of a site on a mobile device. For example, in Google Chrome, in the top right,”

OK, it is an option, but... On the iPhone, on Safari, in the upper left
    corner, next to the URL, you can tap on “Aa” and a menu will fall down which has “Request Desktop Website”. But then, damn, it’s so small. You can
    then magnify it up to 300%... I wonder why they eliminated the ability to
    post via their mobile website. Actually, I think I know.

--
    Matt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From dsi1@21:1/5 to mattf...@gmail.com on Sun May 23 22:36:39 2021
    On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 11:29:28 AM UTC-10, mattf...@gmail.com wrote:
    I wonder how many people used to post messages here via Google Groups on their phone, but now don’t post here because that’s not an option anymore.
    I just noticed this on Google Groups:

“To perform tasks such as creating a group or posting to a conversation, use the full desktop version of Groups. Many popular browsers let you view the desktop version of a site on a mobile device. For example, in Google Chrome, in the top right,”

--
    Matt

The new GG won't let you examine the header information of a post. You can't access the group analytics such as posting frequency of individual posters or number of posts per months or the top ten posters of a newsgroup. These features were useful in
    verifying the identity of the persons posting. These days, you're flying blind. The mobile interface is read only. The new GG interface mostly removed access to useful features. That's the breaks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05