• History of the guitar

From John@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 11 11:32:55 2021
    Or at least the last 5000 years. Interesting video.

https://www.openculture.com/2021/05/the-history-of-the-guitar-in-7-instruments.html

John R.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Matt Faunce@21:1/5 to John on Sat May 15 20:48:34 2021
    John <johnrethorst@gmail.com> wrote:

https://www.openculture.com/2021/05/the-history-of-the-guitar-in-7-instruments.html

John R.

That court lutenists were spies made me laugh. I remember one time I was playing guitar for a bridal shop, and right in front of me while I was
    playing, some guests, a bride-to-be and her friend, were talking about
    wanting to make their wedding invitations themselves by copying one of the designs that were on display. They asked the owner if they could take some samples of wedding invitations home with them so they can mull over their decision of which one to buy. I listened carefully in case the owner okayed their request, at which point I would have spoken up, but to my relief the owner didn’t OK it. I told her about it afterwards.

Of course, in this case, I wasn’t the spy, but it struck me how carelessly they plotted their scheme right in front of me, as if I wasn’t there. Or, maybe they thought I was so concentrated on playing the music that I
    wouldn’t be able to hear them.

--
    Matt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Murdick@21:1/5 to mattf...@gmail.com on Sun May 23 06:52:42 2021
    On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 3:48:36 PM UTC-5, mattf...@gmail.com wrote:
    John <johnre...@gmail.com> wrote:

John R.

That court lutenists were spies made me laugh. I remember one time I was playing guitar for a bridal shop, and right in front of me while I was playing, some guests, a bride-to-be and her friend, were talking about wanting to make their wedding invitations themselves by copying one of the designs that were on display. They asked the owner if they could take some samples of wedding invitations home with them so they can mull over their decision of which one to buy. I listened carefully in case the owner okayed their request, at which point I would have spoken up, but to my relief the owner didn’t OK it. I told her about it afterwards.

Of course, in this case, I wasn’t the spy, but it struck me how carelessly they plotted their scheme right in front of me, as if I wasn’t there. Or, maybe they thought I was so concentrated on playing the music that I wouldn’t be able to hear them.

--
    Matt
    It was my understanding that the lute and guitar had different lineages and were not related. John seems to contest that idea. May be my information is out of date.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Matt Faunce@21:1/5 to Murdick on Sun May 23 16:15:41 2021
    Murdick <lutemann@aol.com> wrote:
    On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 3:48:36 PM UTC-5, mattf...@gmail.com wrote:
    John <johnre...@gmail.com> wrote:

John R.

That court lutenists were spies made me laugh. I remember one time I was
    playing guitar for a bridal shop, and right in front of me while I was
    playing, some guests, a bride-to-be and her friend, were talking about
    wanting to make their wedding invitations themselves by copying one of the >> designs that were on display. They asked the owner if they could take some >> samples of wedding invitations home with them so they can mull over their
    decision of which one to buy. I listened carefully in case the owner okayed >> their request, at which point I would have spoken up, but to my relief the >> owner didn’t OK it. I told her about it afterwards.

Of course, in this case, I wasn’t the spy, but it struck me how carelessly >> they plotted their scheme right in front of me, as if I wasn’t there. Or, >> maybe they thought I was so concentrated on playing the music that I
    wouldn’t be able to hear them.

--
    Matt

It was my understanding that the lute and guitar had different lineages
    and were not related. John seems to contest that idea. May be my information is out of date.

That lutenists were spies is just a stray fact told in the video which John linked to.

--
    Matt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John@21:1/5 to Murdick on Sun May 23 21:03:22 2021
    On Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 6:52:43 AM UTC-7, Murdick wrote:

It was my understanding that the lute and guitar had different lineages and were not related. John seems to contest that idea. May be my information is out of date.

I actually didn't mean to contest any idea, since I know very little about the topic beyond the video. I do have a general impression that a wide range of fretted instruments developed in different cultures, many independently, but my general impressions
    are often fuzzy.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steven Bornfeld@21:1/5 to John on Mon May 24 11:56:11 2021
    On 5/24/2021 12:03 AM, John wrote:
    On Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 6:52:43 AM UTC-7, Murdick wrote:

I actually didn't mean to contest any idea, since I know very little about the topic beyond the video. I do have a general impression that a wide range of fretted instruments developed in different cultures, many independently, but my general
    impressions are often fuzzy.

I seem to remember an issue of the old GuitArt magazine that reviewed
    the evolution of the guitar. My rapidly decaying memory is that the development of the two instruments (lute and guitar) diverged, and that
    that separation was somehow related to the Inquisition (which, of
    course, nobody expects).
    I may still have that issue somewhere, if it wasn't destroyed in my last
    move. I'll look for it.

Steve

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05