• Another outstanding review of "We Were Here"

From malcolmcs@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 17 15:55:21 2016
    Greetings prog fans! May I share with you the latest review of my CD "We Were Here" - this one in the most recent issue of the great Progression Magazine. It's a short review so I'll reprint the entire thing below. Please visit www.tropeaudio.com for
    samples and purchase info!

thanks,

malcolm

Progression Magazine
    Review by Nick Tate
    Spring, 2016

One of the great joys of writing about progressive music is finding and spot-lighting talent as bright and inventive as San Francisco’s Malcolm Smith, composer/guitarist and founding member of prog-rock band Metaphor.

We Were Here is a winning, if jubilantly quirky, collection of prog-rock originals demonstrating that the genre is hitting stride with a new generation of artists, nearly 50 years since its audacious beginnings. Here, Smith teams with Anglagard drummer
    Mattias Olsson, longtime collaborator Marc Spooner on keys, bassist Loren Gustafson and a host of guest musicians to produce largely instrumental suites, cleverly arranged, riding odd time signatures and solid virtuosic playing.

“Peyronie’s Angle” kicks the album off and up, with its high-stepping romp through a handful of progressive jazz and rock motifs. “Cavity Research” is a crazy quilt of complex guitar/synth/bass-drum ensemble jamming. “Monkey Signature”
    sounds like inspired circus music imagined by the mad genius of Frank Zappa. And the album’s centerpiece – the eight-part, 13-minute “Sykiatry” – is a lavish showcase for Smith’s extraordinary compositional skills and derring-do musical chops.

4.5 / 5 stars

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)