• Marsyas or Fehr or Huber recorders

From mariehelenedestrempes@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Red Belly on Sat Aug 1 21:35:48 2020
    On Wednesday, 26 February 2003 14:22:36 UTC-4, Red Belly wrote:
    Has anyone tried these makers instruments?

If so, any thoughts re. quality, value for money etc compared to the more widely used and available Moeck/Mollenhauer instruments?

I know it's all a matter of opinion but it's opinions I'm after!

rb

Hi everyone!
    I know this is a very old conversation, but I wanted to add some information, as I have newly purchased both Moeck Rottenburg and Huber recorders.
    I ordered from Thomann, which is a great store, but difficult to deal with if you live in Canada or the US (return shipping is at your cost). a soprano and an alto in Tulipwood, as well as a Tenor in Maracaibo boxwood. The soprano was both beautiful in
    sound as in appearance; the alto did not sound quite as rich and it looked honestly awful ( their were knots in the wood that made it look as if it were stained, and, when you know you're going to play and look at it every day, it's best to exchange);
    the tenor sounded very reedy, so I only kept the soprano and returned the two other instruments (at my cost).
    I then read and read and read, and finally decided to order two recorders from Huber. More expansive but hand made. I wrote directly to Markus Huber, talked to him on the phone, discussed wood with him (I live mainly in two cities where the humidity is
    high, and changes a lot, so I decided not to buy European boxwood: too sensitive). I went for Palisander. Though I prefer lighter woods, the sound is astonishing : round, both high and low notes came right away. Astonishing instruments. I can only
    recommend Huber recorders for those who can afford them; and if you go with Moeck or Mollenhauer, make sure you can try the instrument and return it, if you need too, because they are factory made and some will be great, and others real lemons,
    unfortunately.
    AGAIN : if you can afford it : HUBER : great instruments, all the way!
    Enjoy your recorders!
    Helene

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Ken in Dallas@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 26 18:00:50 2020
    Hi Helene, I am currently researching before purchasing a keyless pearwood tenor. Does your Huber have a curved windway? Is your Huber by any chance a bent neck? ...and, as long as I'm pressing you for all you know and think... Do you have any
    observations from investigating other Tenors. It's so hard not being able to go to the shops and try instruments out. I am though becoming a far better player by much more practice during this Pandemic. What a way to learn. Thanks in advance, Ken

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)