• Re: Daphnis et Chloe

From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to Josh Dougherty on Sun Jul 3 01:51:23 2022
    On Saturday, March 31, 2001 at 1:48:25 AM UTC-8, Josh Dougherty wrote:
    I'm a relative newcomer to the true study and appreciation of classical music, and I am coming up on a college assignment based on Ravel's "Daphnis et Chloe". I was wondering if anyone could maybe point me to particular points of interest in the piece or any important concepts or stories regarding it.
    BTW....I am a musician and fairly knowledgable as far as thoery and analysis is concerned. I have copies of the full score as well as the vocal/piano reduction for it, so I would also be interested in any points of reference that you might have in terms of thoeretical or orchestral points of
    interest. For instance, I have already established that the 1st section starts in an A lydian tonality and it wanders through various non-diatonic modes. So, maybe some of you can point me in certain theoretical directions that are of particular interest.
    This is really a free-form question where I would appreciate any and all information in regards to what you think are important points to check out about the piece, or Ravel's life at the time, or the Russian ballet or whatever. Any books, or reference material, or even any "before or after" Ravel pieces that you think would help me are also appreciated. Thanks.
    Josh

(Youtube upload):

Analysis of Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to gggg gggg on Sun Jul 3 12:54:15 2022
    On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 1:51:24 AM UTC-7, gggg gggg wrote:
    On Saturday, March 31, 2001 at 1:48:25 AM UTC-8, Josh Dougherty wrote:
    I'm a relative newcomer to the true study and appreciation of classical music, and I am coming up on a college assignment based on Ravel's "Daphnis
    et Chloe". I was wondering if anyone could maybe point me to particular points of interest in the piece or any important concepts or stories regarding it.
    BTW....I am a musician and fairly knowledgable as far as thoery and analysis
    is concerned. I have copies of the full score as well as the vocal/piano reduction for it, so I would also be interested in any points of reference that you might have in terms of thoeretical or orchestral points of interest. For instance, I have already established that the 1st section starts in an A lydian tonality and it wanders through various non-diatonic modes. So, maybe some of you can point me in certain theoretical directions
    that are of particular interest.
    This is really a free-form question where I would appreciate any and all information in regards to what you think are important points to check out about the piece, or Ravel's life at the time, or the Russian ballet or whatever. Any books, or reference material, or even any "before or after" Ravel pieces that you think would help me are also appreciated. Thanks. Josh
    (Youtube upload):

Analysis of Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe

(Youtube upload):

Maurice Ravel: "Daphnis et Chloé", analysis by Gerard Schwarz | Music | Khan Academy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)