• Rodney Russell Bennett?

From Dave Tholen@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 28 16:47:10 2020
    Another CD printing inconsistency. Volume 16 of "The Begian Years" includes an arrangement of Gershwin's "Porgy and Bess". The U
    card says the arrangement is by Rodney Russell Bennett, but the booklet says the arrangement is by Robert Russell Bennett. I'm
    inclined the believe the latter, as Robert Russell Bennett is well known, but in 2017 the Iceland Symphony Orchestra performed
    Gershwin's "Porgy and Bess Symphonic Portrait" and indicates the arranger is Rodney Russell Bennett. And in the program notes for
    Carmina Burana by the Victoria Symphony, we have "Rachmaninoff looked to Rodney Russell Bennett, the Broadway arranger". I've found
    nothing to indicate that Robert ever went by the name Rodney, so I don't think we're dealing with a case of an alias for the same
    person, but it seems much too coincidental for there to be two arrangements of Porgy and Bess by two different people who both
    happen to have middle and family names of Russell Bennett. However, it's also much too coincidental for three different
    organizations to make the same printing error.

Can anybody shed some light on the inconsistency?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Peter T. Daniels@21:1/5 to Dave Tholen on Tue Dec 29 05:58:34 2020
    On Monday, December 28, 2020 at 9:47:14 PM UTC-5, Dave Tholen wrote:
    Another CD printing inconsistency. Volume 16 of "The Begian Years" includes an arrangement of Gershwin's "Porgy and Bess". The U
    card says the arrangement is by Rodney Russell Bennett, but the booklet says the arrangement is by Robert Russell Bennett. I'm
    inclined the believe the latter, as Robert Russell Bennett is well known, but in 2017 the Iceland Symphony Orchestra performed
    Gershwin's "Porgy and Bess Symphonic Portrait" and indicates the arranger is Rodney Russell Bennett. And in the program notes for
    Carmina Burana by the Victoria Symphony, we have "Rachmaninoff looked to Rodney Russell Bennett, the Broadway arranger". I've found
    nothing to indicate that Robert ever went by the name Rodney, so I don't think we're dealing with a case of an alias for the same
    person, but it seems much too coincidental for there to be two arrangements of Porgy and Bess by two different people who both
    happen to have middle and family names of Russell Bennett. However, it's also much too coincidental for three different

Richard Rodney Bennett (1936-2012) was a different person from Robert Russell Bennett (1894-1981).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Rodney_Bennett

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Russell_Bennett

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Tholen@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 30 04:33:11 2020

Richard Rodney Bennett (1936-2012) was a different person from Robert Russell Bennett (1894-1981).

Yes, I was already aware of that, as the Google search turned up that name as well. However, neither the Iceland nor Victoria
    references were to a Richard Rodney Bennett, but rather to a Rodney Russell Bennett.

Maybe it's a case of error carried forward, if one writer of program notes winds up referring to the other as a source of information.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter T. Daniels@21:1/5 to Dave Tholen on Wed Dec 30 08:20:50 2020
    On Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at 9:33:16 AM UTC-5, Dave Tholen wrote:

Yes, I was already aware of that, as the Google search turned up that name as well. However, neither the Iceland nor Victoria
    references were to a Richard Rodney Bennett, but rather to a Rodney Russell Bennett.

Maybe it's a case of error carried forward, if one writer of program notes winds up referring to the other as a source of information.

How could a basic mistake be less obvious? The two composers were active simultaneously, the names are very similar, and confusing them together is a very simple thing to do.

Broadway arrangements are by Robert Russell. They are not by Richard Rodney. There is no Rodney Russell.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Tholen@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 31 14:23:18 2020
    inclined to believe the latter, as Robert Russell Bennett is well known, but in 2017 the Iceland Symphony Orchestra performed

How could a basic mistake be less obvious? The two composers were active simultaneously, the names are very similar, and confusing them together is a very simple thing to do.

Richard Rodney is not at all similar to Robert Russell. The only thing they have in common is the surname. How simple is it to
    confuse you with Jack Daniels?

Broadway arrangements are by Robert Russell. They are not by Richard Rodney. There is no Rodney Russell.

And yet three different and disparate sources all printed "Rodney Russell Bennett". What are the odds?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter T. Daniels@21:1/5 to Dave Tholen on Fri Jan 1 06:55:58 2021
    On Thursday, December 31, 2020 at 7:23:24 PM UTC-5, Dave Tholen wrote:
    inclined to believe the latter, as Robert Russell Bennett is well known, but in 2017 the Iceland Symphony Orchestra performed

How could a basic mistake be less obvious? The two composers were active simultaneously, the names are very similar, and confusing them together is a
    very simple thing to do.
    Richard Rodney is not at all similar to Robert Russell. The only thing they have in common is the surname. How simple is it to
    confuse you with Jack Daniels?\

The liquor person's name is Jack Daniel.

Both Bennetts have first and second names beginning with R, each of two syllables, with the same stress pattern. If you've seen one of them you might not realize when seeing the other that it wasn't the name you'd seen before.

When you tried to remember one or the other, you might have mixed up-
    parts of the names.

They're a lot more similar to each other than "Jack" is to "Peter."

Why don't you just crawl back under the rock you've been hiding under for years?

Broadway arrangements are by Robert Russell. They are not by Richard Rodney.
    There is no Rodney Russell.
    And yet three different and disparate sources all printed "Rodney Russell Bennett". What are the odds?

They must be as stupid as you, copying from one to another without checking.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Tholen@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 1 13:45:30 2021

How could a basic mistake be less obvious? The two composers were active >>> simultaneously, the names are very similar, and confusing them together is a
    very simple thing to do.

Ah, but the liquor's name is Jack Daniels. As for the apostrophe, I refer you to discussion about the Russian Sailors' Dance.

Both Bennetts have first and second names beginning with R, each of two syllables, with the same stress pattern. If you've seen one of them you might not realize when seeing the other that it wasn't the name you'd seen before.

However, if "Rodney Russell Bennett" doesn't exist, then the writer shouldn't have seen that name at all in the first place.

parts of the names.

I'm not the one who mixed them up, Daniels. There are three different authors involved, the one who wrote the program notes for the
    Victoria Symphony, the one who wrote the program notes for the Iceland Symphony, and the one who wrote the U card insert for Volume
    XVI of the Begian Years CD. Three people making the same mistake involving the name of person who you claim doesn't exist.

You're as bad at recognizing sarcasm as Sheldon Cooper.

Why don't you just crawl back under the rock you've been hiding under for years?

Classic erroneous presupposition.

Still suffering from reading comprehension problems, Daniels? I'm not the one who copied the name. I am the one who is doing the
    checking on somebody else's work BEFORE I put the name in my database.

Talk about stupidity. Ironic.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter T. Daniels@21:1/5 to Dave Tholen on Sat Jan 2 07:04:11 2021
    On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 6:45:34 PM UTC-5, Dave Tholen wrote:

How could a basic mistake be less obvious? The two composers were active >>> simultaneously, the names are very similar, and confusing them together is a
    very simple thing to do.

Ah, but the liquor's name is Jack Daniels. As for the apostrophe, I refer you to discussion about the Russian Sailors' Dance.

No, it is not. It is "Jack Daniel's," and has nothing to do with singular/ plural and all to do with a possessive and a registered trademark.

Both Bennetts have first and second names beginning with R, each of two syllables, with the same stress pattern. If you've seen one of them you might
    not realize when seeing the other that it wasn't the name you'd seen before.

However, if "Rodney Russell Bennett" doesn't exist, then the writer shouldn't have seen that name at all in the first place.

Then go attack that writer for research even sloppier than your own,
    not someone who tries to set you straight (no matter how fruitless
    that attempt is).

parts of the names.

I'm not the one who mixed them up, Daniels.

Tholen, are you so stupid, Tholen, that you don't know that "you:" is
    often used as a generic pronoun meaning 'someone', Tholen?

There are three different authors involved, the one who wrote the program notes for the
    Victoria Symphony, the one who wrote the program notes for the Iceland Symphony, and the one who wrote the U card insert for Volume
    XVI of the Begian Years CD. Three people making the same mistake involving the name of person who you claim doesn't exist.

Who does not exist.

Why are you making your asinine comments here, instead of writing
    to the CD company, the Victoria Symphony, and the Iceland Symphony?

Aspies like you don't do sarcasm.

Ah, that brings back memories! Memories of the days you were hated
    by every sane poster to this now moribund newsgroup.

Still suffering from reading comprehension problems, Daniels?

Ah, Tholen, the other hackneyed blast from the past, Tholen!

I'm not the one who copied the name. I am the one who is doing the

Obviously, you're not.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Tholen@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 2 20:06:43 2021

How could a basic mistake be less obvious? The two composers were active >>>>> simultaneously, the names are very similar, and confusing them together is a
    very simple thing to do.

No, it is not. It is "Jack Daniel's," and has nothing to do with singular/ plural and all to do with a possessive and a registered trademark.

Amazing that you STILL don't understand the question about the Russian Sailors' Dance.

Both Bennetts have first and second names beginning with R, each of two
    syllables, with the same stress pattern. If you've seen one of them you might
    not realize when seeing the other that it wasn't the name you'd seen before.

Then go attack that writer

THREE writers, Daniels. THREE. How many does it take before it's no longer a coincidence?

for research even sloppier than your own,

Classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim.

not someone who tries to set you straight (no matter how fruitless
    that attempt is).

How nice that you've managed to convince yourself that you're so absolutely correct that you're in a position to set other people
    "straight", Daniels. You should brush up on your writing skills, because you've not been at all convincing.

parts of the names.

I'm not the one who mixed them up, Daniels.

Tholen, are you so stupid, Tholen, that you don't know that "you:" is
    often used as a generic pronoun meaning 'someone', Tholen?

Daniels, are you so stupid, Daniels, that you don't know the difference between the second person and the third person?

There are three different authors involved, the one who wrote the program notes for the

Who does not exist.

Does repeating your claim make it any more authoritative, Daniels?

Why are you making your asinine comments here, instead of writing
    to the CD company, the Victoria Symphony, and the Iceland Symphony?

Classic unsubstantiated and erroneous presupposition.

Aspies like you don't do sarcasm.

Another classic unsubstantiated and erroneous presupposition.

Ah, that brings back memories! Memories of the days you were hated
    by every sane poster to this now moribund newsgroup.

Another classic unsubstantiated and erroneous presupposition. Interesting that you hang out in a newsgroup you deem "moribund",
    Daniels. Lonely?

Still suffering from reading comprehension problems, Daniels?

Ah, Tholen, the other hackneyed blast from the past, Tholen!

Yes, you've exhibited reading comprehension problems in the past, Daniels, and I pointed some of those out as well.

I'm not the one who copied the name. I am the one who is doing the

Obviously, you're not.

You should have your hallucination checked out, Daniels.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05