• Russian Sailors' Dance or Russian Sailor's Dance

From Dave Tholen@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 28 14:12:27 2020
    I've got a recording of Gliere's "Russian Sailor's Dance", but the printing on the CD is inconsistent (the disc itself, the U card
    insert, the booklet track listing, the program notes) where it is also printed as "Russian Sailors' Dance". I've tried Googling it
    and found images of many different scores, some of which have it printed as "Russian Sailor's Dance" and others as "Russian Sailors'
    Dance". So far I haven't found any definitive source. Is it supposed to be the dance of a Russian sailor or the dance of many
    Russian sailors? Maybe it's not such a big deal to some, but I'm cataloging all my CDs, and need to choose which way to enter it
    into my database. If there is no definitive answer, I'm inclined to go with whatever the transcriber used, which in this case
    happens to be Erik Leidzen. According to the Wind Repertory Project, the Leidzen transcription has it as "Russian Sailors' Dance",
    but I have to assume the web site paid attention to that particular detail.

Anybody know more, or can argue for the alternate spelling?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Peter T. Daniels@21:1/5 to Dave Tholen on Tue Dec 29 06:02:39 2020
    On Monday, December 28, 2020 at 7:12:30 PM UTC-5, Dave Tholen wrote:
    I've got a recording of Gliere's "Russian Sailor's Dance", but the printing on the CD is inconsistent (the disc itself, the U card
    insert, the booklet track listing, the program notes) where it is also printed as "Russian Sailors' Dance". I've tried Googling it
    and found images of many different scores, some of which have it printed as "Russian Sailor's Dance" and others as "Russian Sailors'
    Dance". So far I haven't found any definitive source. Is it supposed to be the dance of a Russian sailor or the dance of many
    Russian sailors? Maybe it's not such a big deal to some, but I'm cataloging all my CDs, and need to choose which way to enter it
    into my database. If there is no definitive answer, I'm inclined to go with whatever the transcriber used, which in this case
    happens to be Erik Leidzen. According to the Wind Repertory Project, the Leidzen transcription has it as "Russian Sailors' Dance",

It's not "alternate spelling,". it's singular vs. plural. Just see what the original Russian is.

"Possibly the most famous dance from this ballet is the Sailors Dance, sometimes referred to as the "Russian Sailors Dance" (although it is described as "Dance of the Sailors from the Soviet Ship" in the score and libretto).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Poppy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Tholen@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 30 04:42:33 2020
    but I have to assume the web site paid attention to that particular detail. >>

It's not "alternate spelling,".

It's two alternatives for the spelling of the title that I've encountered.

it's singular vs. plural.

Gosh, wish I had thought of that. Oh gee, I already did! See the above, where I ask whether it's the dance of "a Russian sailor"
    or the dance of "many Russian sailors".

Just see what the original Russian is.

(1) I don't know where to look for the "original" Russian, and (2) even if I could find it, I don't read Cyrillic, so figuring out
    whether it's singular or plural would be problematic.

"Possibly the most famous dance from this ballet is the Sailors Dance, sometimes referred to as the "Russian Sailors Dance" (although it is described as "Dance of the Sailors from the Soviet Ship" in the score and libretto).

Well, that neatly gets around the issue by avoiding the apostrophe altogether. I was hoping that somebody who actually saw a
    performance of "The Red Poppy" could say how many Russians were dancing while that music was being played, one or many.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter T. Daniels@21:1/5 to Dave Tholen on Wed Dec 30 08:25:36 2020
    On Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at 9:42:38 AM UTC-5, Dave Tholen wrote:

No, it is not. See my next line:

Gosh, wish I had thought of that. Oh gee, I already did! See the above, where I ask whether it's the dance of "a Russian sailor"

Why didn't you look it up? It would have been a hell of a lot quicker than typing out your whole life story above.

(1) I don't know where to look for the "original" Russian, and (2) even if I could find it, I don't read Cyrillic, so figuring out

You've never heard of Google or Wikipedia? I had never heard of this piece
    and had no idea it was part of The Red Poppy, which I have heard of, but
    have never had any interest in hearing.

Well, that neatly gets around the issue by avoiding the apostrophe altogether. I was hoping that somebody who actually saw a
    performance of "The Red Poppy" could say how many Russians were dancing while that music was being played, one or many.

And you never heard of YouTube either?

It is not a possessive. It is a plural.

Is "Dance of the Sailors" not clear enough for you?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Tholen@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 31 14:17:18 2020

Once you include the cases with no apostrophe at all, we now have three alternatives from which to choose.

Why didn't you look it up?

Still suffering from reading comprehension problems, Daniels? I *did* look it up, but I couldn't find a definitive answer.
    Roughly half the cases had it one way and the other half had it the other way.

It would have been a hell of a lot quicker than typing out your whole life story above.

Still suffering from reading comprehension problems, Daniels? My whole life story isn't shown above.

You've never heard of Google or Wikipedia?

Still suffering from reading comprehension problems, Daniels? My second sentence begins with "I've tried Googling it".

I had never heard of this piece and had no idea it was part of The Red Poppy, which I have heard of, but have never had any interest in hearing.

Still suffering from reading comprehension problems, Daniels? My question had nothing to do with your familiarity or interest in
    the music. It just more of your typical response style when you don't know the answer, which is to pick on something else.

"Possibly the most famous dance from this ballet is the Sailors Dance, sometimes referred to as the "Russian Sailors Dance" (although it is
    described as "Dance of the Sailors from the Soviet Ship" in the score and libretto).

"I had never heard of this service and had no idea it was part of Google, which I have heard of, but have never had any interest in
    viewing."

To coin a phrase.

It is not a possessive.

Oh, so you're now claiming that there shouldn't be any apostrophe at all, eh Daniels?

It is a plural.

Or singular, depending on the placement of the apostrophe, which appears both before and after the "s" in various scores, hence the
    question in the first place.

Gee, "of the" makes it possessive, which you just finished claiming it wasn't. You can't even be consistent yourself!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter T. Daniels@21:1/5 to Dave Tholen on Fri Jan 1 06:51:48 2021
    On Thursday, December 31, 2020 at 7:17:24 PM UTC-5, Dave Tholen wrote:

Once you include the cases with no apostrophe at all, we now have three alternatives from which to choose.

Still suffering from reading comprehension problems, Daniels? I *did* look it up, but I couldn't find a definitive answer.
    It would have been a hell of a lot quicker than typing out your whole life story above.
    Still suffering from reading comprehension problems, Daniels? My whole life story isn't shown above.

Still suffering from reading comprehension problems, Daniels? My second sentence begins with "I've tried Googling it".
    I had never heard of this piece and had no idea it was part of The Red Poppy, which I have heard of, but have never had any interest in hearing.
    Still suffering from reading comprehension problems, Daniels? My question had nothing to do with your familiarity or interest in
    the music. It just more of your typical response style when you don't know the answer, which is to pick on something else.
    "Possibly the most famous dance from this ballet is the Sailors Dance, sometimes referred to as the "Russian Sailors Dance" (although it is
    described as "Dance of the Sailors from the Soviet Ship" in the score and libretto).

"I had never heard of this service and had no idea it was part of Google, which I have heard of, but have never had any interest in
    viewing."

To coin a phrase.
    It is not a possessive.
    Oh, so you're now claiming that there shouldn't be any apostrophe at all, eh Daniels?

It is a plural.

Or singular, depending on the placement of the apostrophe, which appears both before and after the "s" in various scores, hence the
    Gee, "of the" makes it possessive, which you just finished claiming it wasn't. You can't even be consistent yourself!

Tholen, it must be 20 years since I first encountered your nonsense here.

The complete literal translation of the title is in the Wikipedia article that googling
    took me to, and it clearly shows the plural.

Whether that is rendered IN ENGLISH with a bare noun-noun construction
    (Sailors Dance) or with a possessive (Sailors' Dance) is entirely a matter
    of taste. Neither is incorrect, and neither is "official."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Tholen@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 1 13:25:24 2021

viewing."

To coin a phrase.

It is not a possessive.

It is a plural.

In what way does an attempt to determine whether the correct title is "Russian Sailors' Dance" or "Russian Sailor's Dance" represent
    nonsense, Daniels?

Ironically, such a claim made without substantiation represents more of your own nonsense, Daniels.

The complete literal translation of the title is in the Wikipedia article that googling

While other sources clearly show the singular, Daniels, hence the question in the first place.

Whether that is rendered IN ENGLISH with a bare noun-noun construction (Sailors Dance) or with a possessive (Sailors' Dance) is entirely a matter
    Given that the original question wasn't about "Russian Sailors Dance" versus "Russian Sailors' Dance", the above represents yet
    another example of your reading comprehension problem, Daniels. The difference between "Russian Sailors' Dance" (plural) and
    "Russian Sailor's Dance" (singular) isn't entirely a matter of taste.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter T. Daniels@21:1/5 to Dave Tholen on Sat Jan 2 06:55:24 2021
    On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 6:25:28 PM UTC-5, Dave Tholen wrote:

viewing."
    To coin a phrase.
    It is not a possessive.
    It is a plural.

In what way does an attempt to determine whether the correct title is "Russian Sailors' Dance" or "Russian Sailor's Dance" represent
    nonsense, Daniels?

Because NEITHER of them is "correct" to the exclusion of the other.
    Both are completely acceptable.

IF the composer had titled the work in English, and IF he never spelled
    it more than one way, then that would be the correct title. For instance, Vaughan Williams titled his work "Sinfonia Antartica" even though
    "Antartica" is not an English word, so that is the title of the work. As a little boy, Britten wrote pieces labeled "Waltztes," and when he published
    them toward the end of his life, he retained that spelling, so that is the correct spelling of the title, even though "waltzt" is not an English word.

The nonsense I referred to is not just these two examples, but everything
    you used to post here. Including your inappropriate uses of vocatives, Tholen.

Ironically, such a claim made without substantiation represents more of your own nonsense, Daniels.

More, Tholen, in addition to what, Tholen?

While other sources clearly show the singular, Daniels, hence the question in the first place.

Yet you couldn't be bothered to do the slightest bit of investigation on your own.

I understand you are supposed to be a planetary astronomer. I wonder
    whether you were involved in the great Mars fuckup when some of the
    parts were made in metric measurements and some in customary
    measurements.

Whether that is rendered IN ENGLISH with a bare noun-noun construction (Sailors Dance) or with a possessive (Sailors' Dance) is entirely a matter of taste. Neither is incorrect, and neither is "official."

Given that the original question wasn't about "Russian Sailors Dance" versus "Russian Sailors' Dance", the above represents yet
    another example of your reading comprehension problem, Daniels. The difference between "Russian Sailors' Dance" (plural) and

Obviously. It was a simple matter of discovering what the piece was
    actually called in the original, and it was utterly simple to find the literal translation "Dance of the Russian Sailors." Why was that too difficult
    for you?

I suppose I shouldn't have supposed you were so stupid you couldn't
    manage that, and your problem was with whether to use an apostrophe
    at all, since _that_ is a question that has two different and legitimate answers. But it turns out you were and are.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Tholen@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 2 19:43:09 2021

viewing."
    To coin a phrase.

It is not a possessive.

It is a plural.

nonsense, Daniels?

So, you're now claiming that Gliere himself wrote the piece with both titles so that future generations could whichever they prefer
    and have it "completely acceptable", eh Daniels?

That's like claiming both Daniels and Daniel are completely acceptable forms of your surname.

it more than one way, then that would be the correct title.

For a piece of music that you had never heard of, suddenly you seem to an authority on the number of ways in which Gliere spelled it.

For instance,
    Vaughan Williams titled his work "Sinfonia Antartica" even though
    "Antartica" is not an English word, so that is the title of the work. As a little boy, Britten wrote pieces labeled "Waltztes," and when he published them toward the end of his life, he retained that spelling, so that is the correct spelling of the title, even though "waltzt" is not an English word.

Classic inappropriate analogy, given that we're not talking about the translation of a Russian word into an English word, but rather
    whether the possessive of the English word refers to the singular "Sailor" or the plural "Sailors", which *DOES* affect the correct
    placement of the apostrophe. I wasn't asking if Gliere's title has exact English counterparts, Daniels, but it's quite clear that
    you didn't bother to read the question for comprehension. So what else is new?

you used to post here.

Classic unsubstantiated and incorrect claim.

Including your inappropriate uses of vocatives, Tholen.

Yet another unsubstantiated claim of inappropriateness, Daniels.

In addition to the multiple examples above, Daniels.

Yet you couldn't be bothered to do the slightest bit of investigation on your own.

There's your reading comprehension problem getting in the way again, Daniels. Try reading my second original sentence again,
    Daniels, this time for comprehension.

measurements.

Non sequitur. Ironically, you couldn't be bothered to do the slightest bit of investigation on your own, Daniels.

(Sailors Dance) or with a possessive (Sailors' Dance) is entirely a matter >>> of taste. Neither is incorrect, and neither is "official."

Obviously.

So, you just contradicted yourself, Daniels. No surprise there, really.

It was a simple matter of discovering what the piece was
    actually called in the original, and it was utterly simple to find the literal
    translation "Dance of the Russian Sailors." Why was that too difficult
    for you?

That, coming from the person who declared "It is not a possessive", but obviously fails to understand how "of the" makes it possessive.

at all, since _that_ is a question that has two different and legitimate answers. But it turns out you were and are.

Well, if you had bothered to read the original question for comprehension in the first place, Daniels, you would have realized that
    the question involved the placement of the apostrophe, not the use of the apostrophe, and you could have avoided making a complete
    fool of yourself in a public forum. Again.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter T. Daniels@21:1/5 to Dave Tholen on Sun Jan 3 06:40:57 2021
    On Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 12:43:16 AM UTC-5, Dave Tholen wrote:

viewing."
    To coin a phrase.

It is not a possessive.

It is a plural.

nonsense, Daniels?

So, you're now claiming that Gliere himself wrote the piece with both titles so that future generations could whichever they prefer

THERE ARE NOT TWO DIFFERENT TITLES.

THERE IS ONE TITLE, AND THERE ARE AT LEAST THREE DIFFERENT
    WAYS TO TRANSLATE IT INTO ENGLISH.

WHY IS THAT SO DIFFICULT FOR YOU?

That's like claiming both Daniels and Daniel are completely acceptable forms of your surname.

NO, IT IS NOT. THOSE ARE TWO DIFFERENT NAMES.

For a piece of music that you had never heard of, suddenly you seem to an authority on the number of ways in which Gliere spelled it.
    For instance,
    Vaughan Williams titled his work "Sinfonia Antartica" even though "Antartica" is not an English word, so that is the title of the work. As a little boy, Britten wrote pieces labeled "Waltztes," and when he published them toward the end of his life, he retained that spelling, so that is the correct spelling of the title, even though "waltzt" is not an English word.

Classic inappropriate analogy, given that we're not talking about the translation of a Russian word into an English word, but rather

THAT IS E X A C T L Y WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.

whether the possessive of the English word refers to the singular "Sailor" or the plural "Sailors", which *DOES* affect the correct
    placement of the apostrophe. I wasn't asking if Gliere's title has exact English counterparts, Daniels, but it's quite clear that

THE SINGULAR IS COMPLETELY WRONG. WHY YOU CANNOT COMPREHEND
    THAT, THOLENS, IS UTTERLY BEYOND ME.

The nonsense I referred to is not just these two examples, but everything you used to post here.

There's your reading comprehension problem getting in the way again, Daniels. Try reading my second original sentence again,
    I understand you are supposed to be a planetary astronomer. I wonder whether you were involved in the great Mars fuckup when some of the
    measurements.
    Non sequitur. Ironically, you couldn't be bothered to do the slightest bit of investigation on your own, Daniels.
    Whether that is rendered IN ENGLISH with a bare noun-noun construction >>> (Sailors Dance) or with a possessive (Sailors' Dance) is entirely a matter

THYE OPTION "SAILOR'S" WAS INSTANTLY RULED OUT WITH A
    MOMENT'S GOOGLING. WHY CAN YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THAT?

Obviously.
    for you?
    That, coming from the person who declared "It is not a possessive", but obviously fails to understand how "of the" makes it possessive.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR INADQUATE UNDERSTANDING
    OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR. NOT EVERYTHING WITH AN "OF" IS A
    POSSESSIVE.

Well, if you had bothered to read the original question for comprehension in the first place, Daniels, you would have realized that
    the question involved the placement of the apostrophe, not the use of the apostrophe, and you could have avoided making a complete

POT, KETTLE, BLACK.

THERE WAS NO EXCUSE FOR THE ORIGINAL POSTING, SINCE THE
    SIMPLE ANSWER WAS AVAILABLE WITH A SIMPLE GOOGLE.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Tholen@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 3 13:57:05 2021

viewing."
    To coin a phrase.

It is not a possessive.

It is a plural.

nonsense, Daniels?

So, now you're claiming that "Russian Sailor's Dance" and "Russian Sailors' Dance" are the same title, eh Daniels? Learn something
    about the difference between singular and plural, Daniels.

THERE IS ONE TITLE,

And I've been trying to find out which of the titles I've encountered is the correct one, Daniels. Why is that so difficult for you?

AND THERE ARE AT LEAST THREE DIFFERENT

Let's see, the singular way, the plural way, and the Daniels way?

How ironic.

Oh, so now you agree that "Russian Sailor's Dance" and "Russian Sailors' Dance" *ARE* two different titles. Strange, as you just
    finished claiming that there is only one title, Daniels. Do make up your mind.

For instance,
    "Antartica" is not an English word, so that is the title of the work. As a >>> little boy, Britten wrote pieces labeled "Waltztes," and when he published >>> them toward the end of his life, he retained that spelling, so that is the >>> correct spelling of the title, even though "waltzt" is not an English word.

I'm the one who asked the original question, Daniels, and I know what I've been talking about. What you've been talking about is
    something else.

THE SINGULAR IS COMPLETELY WRONG.

And your evidence for that claim is...?

WHY YOU CANNOT COMPREHEND

It's not a matter of comprehension, Daniels; rather, it's a lack of sufficient evidence on your part. Simply claiming that the
    singular is wrong isn't sufficient. I can refer you to several sources where the singular has been used, Daniels. Just because you
    can refer to one source where the plural has been used is hardly convincing. I've encountered plenty of those as well, which is why
    I asked the question in the first place!

The nonsense I referred to is not just these two examples, but everything >>> you used to post here.

measurements.

Note: no response to evidence of your own inconsistency, Daniels.

Whether that is rendered IN ENGLISH with a bare noun-noun construction >>>>> (Sailors Dance) or with a possessive (Sailors' Dance) is entirely a matter

Maybe you should try more than just an instant of Googling, Daniels. There are plenty of inconsistencies out there to be found.

Obviously.

for you?

POSSESSIVE.

Irrelevant, given that I never said that everything with an "of" is a possessive, Daniels. However, "Dance of the Sailors" is
    possessive. It's not the Dance of the Lumberjacks. It's not the Dance of the Electricians. I'm SO glad you're not responsible for
    my understanding of English grammar, which is obviously superior to yours in this case, Daniels.

at all, since _that_ is a question that has two different and legitimate >>> answers. But it turns out you were and are.

POT, KETTLE, BLACK.

Non sequitur.

For a simpleton like you, Daniels. Dig deeper.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter T. Daniels@21:1/5 to Dave Tholen on Mon Jan 4 04:59:53 2021
    On Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 6:57:11 PM UTC-5, Dave Tholen wrote:

Anybody know more, or can argue for the alternate spelling? >>>>>>>>> It's not "alternate spelling,".
    viewing."
    To coin a phrase.
    It is not a possessive.
    It is a plural.
    nonsense, Daniels?
    So, now you're claiming that "Russian Sailor's Dance" and "Russian Sailors' Dance" are the same title, eh Daniels? Learn something

ONE OF THEM IS AN ACCURATE TRANSLATION OF THE RUSSIAN
    ORIGINAL, THE OTHER ONE ISN'T, MORONIC THOLEN.

THERE IS ONE TITLE,

And I've been trying to find out which of the titles I've encountered is the correct one, Daniels. Why is that so difficult for you?

YOU HAVE BEEN SHOWN THE ANSWER MANY TIMES BY NOW.
    WHY ARE YOU SO STUPID, MORON THOLEN?

How ironic.
    Oh, so now you agree that "Russian Sailor's Dance" and "Russian Sailors' Dance" *ARE* two different titles. Strange, as you just
    IF the composer had titled the work in English, and IF he never spelled >>> it more than one way, then that would be the correct title.
    For instance,
    "Antartica" is not an English word, so that is the title of the work. As a
    little boy, Britten wrote pieces labeled "Waltztes," and when he published
    them toward the end of his life, he retained that spelling, so that is the
    correct spelling of the title, even though "waltzt" is not an English word.
    I'm the one who asked the original question, Daniels, and I know what I've been talking about. What you've been talking about is
    something else.
    It's not a matter of comprehension, Daniels; rather, it's a lack of sufficient evidence on your part. Simply claiming that the
    singular is wrong isn't sufficient. I can refer you to several sources where the singular has been used, Daniels. Just because you
    can refer to one source where the plural has been used is hardly convincing. I've encountered plenty of those as well, which is why

IF YOU CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PRIMARY
    AND SECONDARY SOURCES, HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO
    GET (ONE ASSUMES) DEGREES IN SCIENCES FROM UNIVERSITIES?

The nonsense I referred to is not just these two examples, but everything >>> you used to post here.
    measurements.
    Whether that is rendered IN ENGLISH with a bare noun-noun construction >>>>> (Sailors Dance) or with a possessive (Sailors' Dance) is entirely a matter
    Maybe you should try more than just an instant of Googling, Daniels. There are plenty of inconsistencies out there to be found.
    Obviously.
    So, you just contradicted yourself, Daniels. No surprise there, really. >>> It was a simple matter of discovering what the piece was
    translation "Dance of the Russian Sailors." Why was that too difficult >>> for you?
    POSSESSIVE.
    Irrelevant, given that I never said that everything with an "of" is a possessive, Daniels. However, "Dance of the Sailors" is
    possessive. It's not the Dance of the Lumberjacks. It's not the Dance of the Electricians. I'm SO glad you're not responsible for
    my understanding of English grammar, which is obviously superior to yours in this case, Daniels.

CHANGING "SAILORS" TO "LUMBERJACKS" DOES NOT MAKE OR
    UNMAKE "OF" A POSSESSIVE IN THIS CONSTRUCTI0N.

at all, since _that_ is a question that has two different and legitimate >>> answers. But it turns out you were and are.
    POT, KETTLE, BLACK.
    Non sequitur.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Tholen@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 5 00:45:44 2021

viewing."
    To coin a phrase.

It is not a possessive.

It is a plural.

nonsense, Daniels?

Ah, so *now* you admit that there is "the other one", after claiming "THERE ARE NOT TWO DIFFERENT TITLES". Do make up your mind,
    Daniels.

THERE IS ONE TITLE,

I've been shown multiple answers by multiple web sites, Daniels. Of course, I said that long ago, which you would know by now if
    you had better reading comprehension skills, Daniels.

How ironic.

IF the composer had titled the work in English, and IF he never spelled >>>>> it more than one way, then that would be the correct title.

For instance,

something else.

Note: no response.

Classic erroneous presupposition. Interesting that you regard Wikipedia as a "primary source", Daniels. You also made a reference
    to YouTube; is that also a "primary source" for you, Daniels? That's amusing, because today I received an email from someone who
    was concerned about something he saw on YouTube, which a quick glance showed to be quite wrong.

The nonsense I referred to is not just these two examples, but everything >>>>> you used to post here.

I understand you are supposed to be a planetary astronomer. I wonder >>>>> whether you were involved in the great Mars fuckup when some of the
    measurements.

Whether that is rendered IN ENGLISH with a bare noun-noun construction >>>>>>> (Sailors Dance) or with a possessive (Sailors' Dance) is entirely a matter

Obviously.

translation "Dance of the Russian Sailors." Why was that too difficult >>>>> for you?

POSSESSIVE.

Glad you agree that it doesn't unmake "of" a possessive in this construction, Daniels.

It does indicate that the dance is not of the lumberjacks or of the electricians, Daniels, but rather of the sailor or sailors,
    depending on the placement of the apostrophe, of course, so the dance belongs to the sailor or sailors, thus possessive.

at all, since _that_ is a question that has two different and legitimate >>>>> answers. But it turns out you were and are.

POT, KETTLE, BLACK.

Non sequitur.

"Neither is incorrect, and neither is 'official'."
    --Peter T. Daniels

"THERE IS ONE TITLE"
    --Peter T. Daniels

Interesting usage of "neither" in reference to "one" title", Daniels. Now do you see why I disregard your inconsistent claims in
    this matter?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter T. Daniels@21:1/5 to Dave Tholen on Tue Jan 5 05:10:33 2021
    On Tuesday, January 5, 2021 at 5:45:50 AM UTC-5, Dave Tholen wrote:

viewing."
    To coin a phrase.

It is not a possessive.

It is a plural.

nonsense, Daniels?

Because NEITHER of them is "correct" to the exclusion of the other. >>>>> Both are completely acceptable.

Ah, so *now* you admit that there is "the other one", after claiming "THERE ARE NOT TWO DIFFERENT TITLES". Do make up your mind,
    Daniels.
    THERE IS ONE TITLE,

I've been shown multiple answers by multiple web sites, Daniels. Of course, I said that long ago, which you would know by now if

How ironic.

IF the composer had titled the work in English, and IF he never spelled >>>>> it more than one way, then that would be the correct title.

For instance,

something else.

Classic erroneous presupposition. Interesting that you regard Wikipedia as a "primary source", Daniels. You also made a reference
    to YouTube; is that also a "primary source" for you, Daniels? That's amusing, because today I received an email from someone who
    was concerned about something he saw on YouTube, which a quick glance showed to be quite wrong.
    you used to post here.

I understand you are supposed to be a planetary astronomer. I wonder >>>>> whether you were involved in the great Mars fuckup when some of the >>>>> parts were made in metric measurements and some in customary
    measurements.

Obviously.

translation "Dance of the Russian Sailors." Why was that too difficult >>>>> for you?

POSSESSIVE.

Glad you agree that it doesn't unmake "of" a possessive in this construction, Daniels.

It does indicate that the dance is not of the lumberjacks or of the electricians, Daniels, but rather of the sailor or sailors,
    depending on the placement of the apostrophe, of course, so the dance belongs to the sailor or sailors, thus possessive.
    I suppose I shouldn't have supposed you were so stupid you couldn't >>>>> manage that, and your problem was with whether to use an apostrophe >>>>> at all, since _that_ is a question that has two different and legitimate >>>>> answers. But it turns out you were and are.

POT, KETTLE, BLACK.

Non sequitur.

--Peter T. Daniels

"THERE IS ONE TITLE"
    --Peter T. Daniels

Interesting usage of "neither" in reference to "one" title", Daniels. Now do you see why I disregard your inconsistent claims in
    this matter?

THE ONE TITLE IS THE TITLE GIVEN BY THE COMPOSER.

IT WAS NOT GIVEN IN ENGLISH.

IT CAN BE TRANSLATED INTO ENGLISH IN SEVERAL DIFFERENT WAYS.

ONE OF THOSE WAYS IS "THE SOLDIERS DANCE."

(Compare "the Dodgers game.")

ANOTHER IS "THE SOLDIERS' DANCE.'

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Tholen@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 5 16:36:13 2021

viewing."
    To coin a phrase.

It is not a possessive.

It is a plural.

nonsense, Daniels?

Because NEITHER of them is "correct" to the exclusion of the other. >>>>>>> Both are completely acceptable.

Daniels.

THERE IS ONE TITLE,

How ironic.

IF the composer had titled the work in English, and IF he never spelled >>>>>>> it more than one way, then that would be the correct title.

For instance,
    Vaughan Williams titled his work "Sinfonia Antartica" even though >>>>>>> "Antartica" is not an English word, so that is the title of the work. As a

something else.

you used to post here.

I understand you are supposed to be a planetary astronomer. I wonder >>>>>>> whether you were involved in the great Mars fuckup when some of the >>>>>>> parts were made in metric measurements and some in customary
    measurements.

Obviously.

translation "Dance of the Russian Sailors." Why was that too difficult >>>>>>> for you?

POSSESSIVE.

I suppose I shouldn't have supposed you were so stupid you couldn't >>>>>>> manage that, and your problem was with whether to use an apostrophe >>>>>>> at all, since _that_ is a question that has two different and legitimate >>>>> answers. But it turns out you were and are.

POT, KETTLE, BLACK.

Non sequitur.

--Peter T. Daniels

"THERE IS ONE TITLE"
    --Peter T. Daniels

this matter?

THE ONE TITLE IS THE TITLE GIVEN BY THE COMPOSER.

And the other title, Daniels? You know, the other one that isn't incorrect and isn't official.

IT WAS NOT GIVEN IN ENGLISH.

I never claimed Gliere's title was given in English, Daniels. But just as an example of an arranger's title, given in English, we
    have Johnnie Vinson's:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRm3AGHhC-cqh8S0THTwbzMdMKFRWtoVFSSfhZ2W5pvK2-2vKEk

And Ricky Lombardo's:

https://www.justflutes.com/assets/images/products/994057-image-1-1.jpg

And we have the LP sleeve for Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic, also given in English:

https://img.discogs.com/8CLOhwt8T_RvzdzjHA1wEbVLrQ4=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(40)/discogs-images/R-5651686-1398980619-7812.jpeg.jpg

Bernstein! One of the giants in the field.

IT CAN BE TRANSLATED INTO ENGLISH IN SEVERAL DIFFERENT WAYS.

ONE OF THOSE WAYS IS "THE SOLDIERS DANCE."

Odd that none of the arrangements have used that particular translation, Daniels. Maybe the arrangers see a difference between a
    soldier and a sailor.

(Compare "the Dodgers game.")

Classic inappropriate analogy. "Dodgers" is the name of a team, and in certain contexts, the singular is appropriate when a term is
    used for a collective, as in "The orchestra plays wonderful music." If you want to regard the orchestra as a bunch of individuals,
    then the plural "The orchestra play wonderful music." would utilize the appropriate verb, but such a construct is rarely, if ever,
    used in my experience.

ANOTHER IS "THE SOLDIERS' DANCE.'

"THERE IS ONE TITLE"
    --Peter T. Daniels

I see that you still haven't made up your mind, Daniels.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05