• An invitation to anyone who has evidence of a god

From -------------- Atheist ------------@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 7 07:29:21 2019
    XPost: alt.atheism, alt.music.christian.rock, alt.christian.religion

Lurkers are welcome too.

No one has ever presented verifiable evidence of a god in
    alt.atheism (started over two decades ago).

Got evidence?, other than "faith"*, please present in alt.atheism.

Thank you.

*(faith can be used equally to "prove" or "disprove" anything)
    --
    There is no verifiable evidence of any god(s). None whatsoever.
    Atheist: anyone who says "I don't buy the claim 'a god exists'".
    Extortion (Believe or Burn) is _THE_ foundation of Christianity.
    Sycophant: a compulsive ass-kisser of un-evidenced dictator god.
    Christian: a person afraid of a hiding apparently imaginary god.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From James Titus@21:1/5 to -------------- Atheist ------------ on Thu Jan 17 06:15:05 2019
    On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 10:28:54 AM UTC-5, -------------- Atheist --------------- wrote:
    Lurkers are welcome too.

No one has ever presented verifiable evidence of a god in
    alt.atheism (started over two decades ago).

Got evidence?, other than "faith"*, please present in alt.atheism.
    You ask a simple question. I was raised agnostic/atheist, although my mother was a Greek language scholar, and so we had a fair amount of Greek mythology tales growing up. My older siblings did the rock and roll, sex and drug thing, so, like many kids
    in my school we were interested in "new" religions, like Transcendental Meditation, and Hinduism, which at the time seemed very trendy indeed.>

I met a girl over the summer break who said she was a Christian, and I went to a bible study with her. I found it awkward to sit in a circle as they prayed while I looked at their shoes. After that silent bit, one of the members asked me what I
    thought. I was just about to start a long speech about how Eastern Religions worked much better when an odd thing happened to me. I felt as if someone had come up behind me with a 5 gallon pail of warm honey and poured it over my head and shoulders. I
    sat there with my mouth opened, and after a full minute said that I had just experienced more love in the last minute than the entity of my life. I did not believe in God. I did not believe in their prayers. It was just something that happened to me
    experimentally.

Later that spring I was on the way to college classes on my bike one sunny morning and I looked right to make sure I would miss a big truck coming about half a block away. When I looked back left I saw the screaming face of some lady on her way to work
    in her station wagon one quarter second before she hit me going 45 miles an hour. Luckily, I flipped up and hit her windshield with my whole body which bounced me up into the spring day. I recall looking up at the blue sky as I sailed upward and had
    one thought: "There is a God". I woke up in the hospital. I had no idea what or who a God was, but I did somehow know that fact.

That summer I stopped going to college and followed the girl down to Mexico. I came down with a bad throat infection, with a high fever and lost my speech with the swelling. I had hundreds of white bumps inside my throat and felt pretty bad. I
    followed my lover to a Full Gospel prayer meeting and got upset that they could pray for help, but my throat was so sore that I could not utter. I managed a whisper of a prayer something like: "If you can hear me God, I want to be able to pray to you,
    but I can't because I am sick." Ten seconds later my fever left and I could talk. Satisfied, I did not bother to pray, recall that I did not believe in God, mind you. I went into the bathroom and looked and all the white spots were gone.

At that point I believed in God, and began a process of conversion.

Although I studied for many years, and had any number of religious experiences, those first few were the most important, and without them, I would not have been a person that said I believe in God.

Despite all my study, I will be the first to admit that we know very little about God, and that most things that people tell you about God they cannot prove, but are mostly a collection of made up stories that while inspirational, cannot add up to a
    proof.

My study of the Bible can be summarized by saying that the Jewish Bible was written down in Babylon about 1000 years after the events that were supposed to have occurred. Great stories, with much to be learned about the folly of mankind and the real
    nature of God. Read about how the Old prophet Samuel sought to choose the new King in Israel, going to all the handsome tall sons first, and finally ending up with the smallest son as the King who was not even at the house to greet the prophet, but was
    out playing his flute to the sheep.

The Gospels were all written down two generations after Christ, and while interesting stories, don't lend themselves to reliability.

Not so with Paul's letters. These appear to be historical, but do not include any of the details outlined in the Gospels. No one has been able to trace back from Paul's letters to an understanding of a historical Jesus, who may not have ever existed.

But in this writer's opinion, God exists based on person experiences with other worldly power.

Sorry, I cannot give you more than that, but what I give you is unvarnished and raw fact.

Thank you.

*(faith can be used equally to "prove" or "disprove" anything)
    --
    There is no verifiable evidence of any god(s). None whatsoever.
    Atheist: anyone who says "I don't buy the claim 'a god exists'".
    Extortion (Believe or Burn) is _THE_ foundation of Christianity.
    Sycophant: a compulsive ass-kisser of un-evidenced dictator god.
    Christian: a person afraid of a hiding apparently imaginary god.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From leejohnson047@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 22 09:24:51 2019
    Wow, that is truly sad. You’ve had these supernatural experiences, testimony from your “lover”, the experience of churches and studying and so forth, and you STILL doubt God or Jesus exists?? That truly takes some Herculean effort to deny God after
    all that. I wonder what else he’d have to do to get you to believe. Hundreds of people have spent centuries studying the Bible and history to prove it’s the divinely-inspired, accurate, complete word of God, but somehow YOU know better than them.
    Even in our modern era there are many books yes proving Jesus was a historical figure, like “evidence that demands a verdict” for one example. Jesus was absolutely a historical person at the very least. THen you have to contend with, He was either a
    lunatic or He was the actual Son of God on earth. God almost always puts things forward to CHOOSE to believe or not believe. That was in fact WHY we were created. God wants us to CHOOSE Him. One day long ago I CHOSE God, without any evidence or real
    belief, I just said “I’m going to try this now.” I was simply overwhelmed with the evidence, the anecdotes, the lessons, the science, the PROOF about God and Jesus and heaven and hell and Satan. I didn’t even ask for it! But it came in a flood
    and so it will for anyone who WANTS to choose God. Many atheists have. Go ask THEM why they accepted Christ into their hearts. Read their books. Do you still require more evidence after that? Finally, the evidence of a global flood is incredibly evident
    all around us, everywhere. From 12 incidents of soft dinosaur parts found frozen in fossils, to polonium radio-halos found in rocks, to the shifting of the earth’s magnetic field, to human footprints found alongside dinosaur footprints in certain
    fossilized locations, you really have to ask, what more proof do you need? It’s pure stubbornness to deny God with the absolute wealth of evidence left behind.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05