• Adams Compensator Guitar

From ibobcohen@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 6 20:58:35 2016
    i met andy in ....i guess it was 78 or 79....i was on tour with jesse winchester and andy showed up with one of his guitars to show us....he also had a contact pickup he had designed...a transducer type covered in a black plastic cover with a dagger
    molded in...i bought a few of them...they were certainly better sounding than the barcus berry's we had been using....i might still have one in a case somewhere....
    i wish i had bought one of those "strutted" guitars....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From ibobcohen@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 6 20:59:07 2016
    i met andy in ....i guess it was 78 or 79....i was on tour with jesse winchester and andy showed up with one of his guitars to show us....he also had a contact pickup he had designed...a transducer type covered in a black plastic cover with a dagger
    molded in...i bought a few of them...they were certainly better sounding than the barcus berry's we had been using....i might still have one in a case somewhere....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kensingtonhcp@gmail.com@21:1/5 to ibob...@gmail.com on Sun May 14 13:05:36 2017
    On Friday, May 6, 2016 at 11:58:36 PM UTC-4, ibob...@gmail.com wrote:

I have an Andy Adams 12-string guitar that I am trying to evaluate for estate purposes; would appreciate any assistance.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From geerkenf@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 30 06:47:12 2017
    I own two Andy Adams guitars. I hope to inherit two more. I will be glad to post some history. Andy passed away a couple years ago but I had many years of history with him. send me an email at: fgeerken@earthlink.net and I can share pictures, etc.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From geerkenf@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 30 11:48:14 2017
    Andy Adams guitars were based on moving the struts and amplication. I know personally that when one 12 string was used in many concerts it only needed to be plugged into the mike cord. Fgeerken@earthlink.net

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ibobcohen@gmail.com@21:1/5 to geer...@gmail.com on Sat Aug 19 20:55:09 2017
    On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 9:47:13 AM UTC-4, geer...@gmail.com wrote:
    I own two Andy Adams guitars. I hope to inherit two more. I will be glad to post some history. Andy passed away a couple years ago but I had many years of history with him. send me an email at: fgeerken@earthlink.net and I can share pictures, etc.

i would certainly be interested ....

ibobcohen@gmail.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From arabbit@earthlink.net@21:1/5 to David M. Parry on Sat Feb 22 11:43:42 2020
    On Tuesday, June 25, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, David M. Parry wrote:
    Any luthiers out there who've hear of Andy Adams and his compensator
    bracing system? I heard that there is an expired patent on this system
    which turns the back of the guitar into a soundboard. Any info would be appreciated.

I was a friend of Andy's. His guitars were unbelievably bright and crisp. I never heard a guitar sound anywhere near as good.
    He had a couple of thin struts from the sound hole to the sides to replace the sound post. I think he also had a reinforcing ring around the sound hole to hold the struts.
    I seem to remember that Niel Young has one of his guitars. The sound quality was amazing.
    He took his idea to Martin and was told if they wanted to build it they would simply wait out his patent. This is what Andy told me.
    Everything Andy made was the best he could make it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From arabbit@earthlink.net@21:1/5 to David M. Parry on Sat Feb 22 11:59:16 2020
    On Tuesday, June 25, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, David M. Parry wrote:
    Any luthiers out there who've hear of Andy Adams and his compensator
    bracing system? I heard that there is an expired patent on this system which turns the back of the guitar into a soundboard. Any info would be appreciated.

I took a look at the patent drawings and they do not resemble the one I saw. The one I saw had the struts going from the sound hole to the sides of the guitar. If one could locate his wife Carla Adams who I think is in Moosonee, Ontario Canada, she
    could shed some light on this.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05