• Maple and Sycamore for violins

From Quadibloc@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 10 14:02:18 2018
    In reading about how violins are made, I had seen statements to the effect that the front could be spruce or pine - and Stradivarius used spruce... and the back
    could be maple, sycamore, or maybe even pearwood - with Stradivarius using maple,
    but pearwood along with ash being used in the purfling.

I've noticed that on violins in general, typically the grain lines run up and down
    the instrument on the front, but across the instrument in the back. Since they run
    _across_ the instrument in the back, I'm surprised that the back is usually divided into two pieces that are side by side, because the length in that direction is limited only by the height of the tree. It's getting a tree with a trunk thick enough to match the height of a whole violin that would seem to be challenging.

So I may be missing something in my understanding.

Anyways, I thought I would look up information about maple trees, to see how big
    they are.

I found that the European maple tree is typically called a sycamore in Britain! This had me wondering.

However, further searching had things cleared up, I think.

_Acer pseudoplatanus_ is a maple tree, even if some people call it a sycamore because it has a resemblance to one;

_Platanus orientalis_ is the actual sycamore tree also found in the Old World.

John Savard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From melvyn@melvynhiscock.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 30 09:40:30 2018
    The grain on the back is along the length like on the front. The figueing is perpendicular to the grain in this instance

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)