• Ultra light Acoustic piano exist?

From mediabeing@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 11 15:26:29 2015
    Actually, there are now some amazing hybrid keyboards now out. One somehow makes a large speaker into the soundboard.It's pretty weird. There are demonstration videos available online. I forget the maker, but it does signal a new wave of keyboard devices.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From vaikohansson@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 29 12:34:07 2016
    what about Klavin's Una Corda. I know it doesn't sound like a regular piano, but it's 100kg + you can remove the mechanism for extreme portability.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From nousndthem@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 31 14:45:24 2017
    I was in a band in the early 70's that had a strung spinet that was light enough for 2 of us guys to get it into the van.
    Can't remember the brand name but it was portable.
    We carried it around to every gig.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From helpimstuckinausernamefactory@gmail@21:1/5 to MaestroJim on Thu Apr 30 09:22:44 2020
    On Saturday, April 15, 1995 at 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, MaestroJim wrote:
    RE: Ultralight acoustic piano - Sorry to disappoint you, but the majority
    of the weight in an acoustic piano does not come from the "furniture"
    aspect. It is due to the heavy cast iron plate and corresponding structual assembly required to support the combined string tension of approximately
    20 tons of tension! Although modern metalurgy can produce an appropriate structure, it is presently way out of line from a financial standpoint. Although I rebuild, tune and prefer to play acoustic pianos, and use the
    next best SUBSTITUTE, the electronic keyboard when I need portability.
    Note: before you electronic fans start screaming replys to this, keep in
    mind that there is NO electronic keyboard that can do what an acoustic
    piano can do. They can digitize it, synthesize it, ALMOST sound like an acoustic piano, but when being played, I have not found ANY electronic
    piano that can reproduce the effect that can be gotten from an acoustic piano, i.e. sound waves blending, amplifying each other, canceling each other, etc. which can only be gotten from a vibrating membrane such as an acoustic soundboard.

Well, I did find this... It's a new-built square piano. https://www.jc-neupert.de/en/component/virtuemart/neue-instrumente/tafelklaviere/square-piano-mahr-detail

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Becky Thompson@21:1/5 to MaestroJim on Fri Oct 2 10:57:11 2020
    On Saturday, April 15, 1995 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, MaestroJim wrote:
    RE: Ultralight acoustic piano - Sorry to disappoint you, but the majority
    of the weight in an acoustic piano does not come from the "furniture"
    aspect. It is due to the heavy cast iron plate and corresponding structual assembly required to support the combined string tension of approximately
    20 tons of tension! Although modern metalurgy can produce an appropriate structure, it is presently way out of line from a financial standpoint. Although I rebuild, tune and prefer to play acoustic pianos, and use the
    next best SUBSTITUTE, the electronic keyboard when I need portability.
    Note: before you electronic fans start screaming replys to this, keep in
    mind that there is NO electronic keyboard that can do what an acoustic
    piano can do. They can digitize it, synthesize it, ALMOST sound like an acoustic piano, but when being played, I have not found ANY electronic
    piano that can reproduce the effect that can be gotten from an acoustic piano, i.e. sound waves blending, amplifying each other, canceling each other, etc. which can only be gotten from a vibrating membrane such as an acoustic soundboard.
    Just lose power and see who can still make music on their piano!!! :)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05