• Singer/Songwriter Valerie Carter, 64

From treg@iwvisp.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 5 17:06:24 2017
    There are numerous reports on the internet that singer-songwriter Valerie Carter has died at the age of 64.

Toto guitarist Steve Lukather wrote:

RIP Valerie Carter.. She was an amazing talent and very sweet girl. One of a kind voice ..

Shawn Colvin said:

The inimitable Valerie Carter is no longer with us. The first time I heard her all I wanted was to sing like THAT. And I tried, but no one ever will. Love you, Val.

Her passing has also been reported on her Official Fan Club page on Facebook. A cause of death has not been announced. Carter has been ill in recent years including a serious 2014 incident where reports had her "fighting for her life".

Valerie Carter's musical career started when she was still a teenager, playing in coffee houses and, at the age of twenty, she had her first hit with Judy Collins' recording of Valerie's Cooked With Honey (1973 / #32 Pop / #10 Adult Contemporary).

Carter was also part of the band Howdy Moon which released their one, self titled, album in 1974 with production by Little Feat's Lowell George. George would go on to produce Carter's solo debut, 1977's Just a Stone's Throw Away, which also included
    guest appearances from the likes of Linda Ronstadt, John Sebastian, Deniece Williams, Jackson Browne, Jeff Porcaro and Maurice White.

Valerie went on to record two more albums, 1978's Wild Child and 1996's The Way It Is along with the 1998 EP Find a River, but her greatest reputation came as a backup singer for a long list of artists over the years including James Taylor, Jackson
    Browne, Don Henley, Neil Diamond, Nicolette Larson, Ringo Starr, Jimmy Webb, Willie Nelson and many more.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Michael Black@21:1/5 to treg@iwvisp.com on Wed Mar 8 16:04:12 2017
    On Sun, 5 Mar 2017, treg@iwvisp.com wrote:

There are numerous reports on the internet that singer-songwriter
    Valerie Carter has died at the age of 64.

I remember ads for her solo albums in Rolling Stone. She may have even
    had a tshirt from Pacific Alliance (which was raising funds for the
    campaign against nuclear power), she performed with others involved in
    that.

But I never heard any of her solo material. However, I do have the Judy Collins album with "Cook with Honey", and it is a good song.

Michael

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)