• Re: Frank Zappa and Bob Dylan

From Will Dockery@21:1/5 to James Zadok on Wed Jan 12 05:47:47 2022
    On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 12:19:35 PM UTC-5, James Zadok wrote:
    On Tuesday, 28 February 2017 07:30:27 UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:

Did I not read a small blurb around 1977 or so, in RS Random Notes or the Creem Magazine version, a rumor or report that Zappa might produce a Dylan record?

It was a very fleeting moment, sort of like the photograph that showed Lou RTeed and Ronnie Van Zandt drinking Budweiser, it is just about apocryphal, and of course never happened, either.

Anyone else remember this blip on the radar of rock-n-roll history?
    http://www.united-mutations.com/d/bob_dylan.htm

"On December 22, 1982, Dylan appeared, unannounced, on Zappa's doorsteps. According to Michael Gray, in his book Mother! Is The Story Of Frank Zappa (Proteus, 1984, pages 148-9), "Someone suddenly called up saying "This is Bob Dylan. I want to play you
    my new songs." Zappa went on to say that he had never met Dylan before, but could see someone (via a video screen) in the cold, with an open shirt, and no coat. Gray quoted Zappa, telling Karl Dallas, that Dylan played eleven new songs on the piano,
    humming the lyrics. "I thought they were good songs. He seemed like a nice guy . . .I asked him if it had any Jesus in it . . .and he said no." When Zappa gave him something to eat, his dogs barked at Dylan. Zappa joked that his dog didn't like
    Christians, but Dylan didn't laugh. "Maybe he's not supposed to," Zappa said.

"Dylan never followed up on the collaboration. Some of the songs he played for Zappa probably ended up on Dylan's next album, Infidels."

"As for Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited was really good. Then we got Blonde on Blonde and it started to sound like cowboy music. You know what I think of cowboy music." -Frank Zappa

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From General Zod@21:1/5 to Will Dockery on Wed Jan 12 16:38:37 2022
    On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 8:47:49 AM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:

Did I not read a small blurb around 1977 or so, in RS Random Notes or the Creem Magazine version, a rumor or report that Zappa might produce a Dylan record?

It was a very fleeting moment, sort of like the photograph that showed Lou RTeed and Ronnie Van Zandt drinking Budweiser, it is just about apocryphal, and of course never happened, either.

"On December 22, 1982, Dylan appeared, unannounced, on Zappa's doorsteps. According to Michael Gray, in his book Mother! Is The Story Of Frank Zappa (Proteus, 1984, pages 148-9), "Someone suddenly called up saying "This is Bob Dylan. I want to play
    you my new songs." Zappa went on to say that he had never met Dylan before, but could see someone (via a video screen) in the cold, with an open shirt, and no coat. Gray quoted Zappa, telling Karl Dallas, that Dylan played eleven new songs on the piano,
    humming the lyrics. "I thought they were good songs. He seemed like a nice guy . . .I asked him if it had any Jesus in it . . .and he said no." When Zappa gave him something to eat, his dogs barked at Dylan. Zappa joked that his dog didn't like

"Dylan never followed up on the collaboration. Some of the songs he played for Zappa probably ended up on Dylan's next album, Infidels."
    "As for Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited was really good. Then we got Blonde on Blonde and it started to sound like cowboy music. You know what I think of cowboy music." -Frank Zappa

Zappa is an all time favorite.....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Willie@21:1/5 to Will Dockery on Thu Jan 13 19:28:23 2022

"On December 22, 1982, Dylan appeared, unannounced, on Zappa's doorsteps. According to Michael Gray, in his book Mother! Is The Story Of Frank Zappa (Proteus, 1984, pages 148-9), "Someone suddenly called up saying "This is Bob Dylan. I want to play
    you my new songs." Zappa went on to say that he had never met Dylan before, but could see someone (via a video screen) in the cold, with an open shirt, and no coat. Gray quoted Zappa, telling Karl Dallas, that Dylan played eleven new songs on the piano,

Will wrote:

"As for Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited was really good. Then we got Blonde on Blonde
    and it started to sound like cowboy music. You know what I think of cowboy music."
    -Frank Zappa

What context did Zappa say this in? I'm hard put to hear cowboy music in Blonde on Blonde, so have to think there's a put on here. Or was he mixing BoB with the song John Wesley Harding or with Nashville Skyline?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Zadok@21:1/5 to Willie on Fri Jan 14 05:33:17 2022
    On Thursday, January 13, 2022 at 10:28:26 PM UTC-5, Willie wrote:

Will wrote:

"As for Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited was really good. Then we got Blonde on Blonde
    and it started to sound like cowboy music. You know what I think of cowboy music."
    -Frank Zappa
    What context did Zappa say this in? I'm hard put to hear cowboy music in Blonde on Blonde, so have to think there's a put on here. Or was he mixing BoB with the song John Wesley Harding or with Nashville Skyline?

Playboy interview, May 1993:

Playboy: Did any of the big acts of the time interest you? How about Dylan, Hendrix, the Stones?

Zappa: Some of the really good things that Hendrix did was the earliest stuff, when he was just ripping and brutal. Manic Depression was my favorite Jimi Hendrix song. The more experimental it got, the less interesting and the thinner it got. As for
    Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited was really good. Then we got Blonde on Blonde and it started to sound like cowboy music, and you know what I think of cowboy music. I liked the Rolling Stones.

Playboy: Did Mick Jagger once pull a splinter out of your toe?

Zappa: Yeah. He came by my house and I was hopping around because of this splinter, so he pulled it out. Good story, huh? I did like his attitude and the Stones’ attitude. Ultimately, though, the music was being done because it was product. It was pop
    music made because there was a record company waiting for records.

https://www.playboy.com/read/frank-zappa-s-1993-playboy-interview

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From K. Hematite@21:1/5 to Willie on Fri Jan 14 05:48:38 2022
    On Thursday, 13 January 2022 at 22:28:26 UTC-5, Willie wrote:

Will wrote:

-Frank Zappa

The first track of Blonde on Blonde was "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35." Give a listen to the beginning of Gene Autry's "Rheumatism Blues":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHKhpoj5l7E

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Willie@21:1/5 to K. Hematite on Fri Jan 14 09:43:33 2022
    On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 8:48:40 AM UTC-5, K. Hematite wrote:

"On December 22, 1982, Dylan appeared, unannounced, on Zappa's doorsteps. According to Michael Gray, in his book Mother! Is The Story Of Frank Zappa (Proteus, 1984, pages 148-9), "Someone suddenly called up saying "This is Bob Dylan. I want to
    play you my new songs." Zappa went on to say that he had never met Dylan before, but could see someone (via a video screen) in the cold, with an open shirt, and no coat. Gray quoted Zappa, telling Karl Dallas, that Dylan played eleven new songs on the
    piano, humming the lyrics. "I thought they were good songs. He seemed like a nice guy . . .I asked him if it had any Jesus in it . . .and he said no." When Zappa gave him something to eat, his dogs barked at Dylan. Zappa joked that his dog didn't like

Will wrote:

-Frank Zappa
    The first track of Blonde on Blonde was "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35." Give a listen to the beginning of Gene Autry's "Rheumatism Blues":

Oh yeah, forgot about that. We had a go around on this in 2016, and somone also noted that the "beat" of Rainy Day Woman came from the song "They’re Coming to Take Me Away." The guitar riff seems more plausible, though the beat *is* similar:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fn36l_z3WY

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From K. Hematite@21:1/5 to Willie on Fri Jan 14 13:46:04 2022
    On Friday, 14 January 2022 at 12:43:35 UTC-5, Willie wrote:

"On December 22, 1982, Dylan appeared, unannounced, on Zappa's doorsteps. According to Michael Gray, in his book Mother! Is The Story Of Frank Zappa (Proteus, 1984, pages 148-9), "Someone suddenly called up saying "This is Bob Dylan. I want to
    play you my new songs." Zappa went on to say that he had never met Dylan before, but could see someone (via a video screen) in the cold, with an open shirt, and no coat. Gray quoted Zappa, telling Karl Dallas, that Dylan played eleven new songs on the
    piano, humming the lyrics. "I thought they were good songs. He seemed like a nice guy . . .I asked him if it had any Jesus in it . . .and he said no." When Zappa gave him something to eat, his dogs barked at Dylan. Zappa joked that his dog didn't like

Will wrote:

-Frank Zappa

Oh yeah, forgot about that. We had a go around on this in 2016, and somone also noted that the "beat" of Rainy Day Woman came from the song "They’re Coming to Take Me Away." The guitar riff seems more plausible, though the beat *is* similar:

But I think we concluded that "Rainy Day Women" was released in April 1966 (and had been written the month before) and "They're Coming" was released in July 1966, making it unlikely that Dylan could have heard Napoleon XIV's masterpiece before he wrote
    his.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From General Zod@21:1/5 to Willie on Sat Jan 15 14:46:21 2022
    On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 12:43:35 PM UTC-5, Willie wrote:

Will wrote:

-Frank Zappa

Quite fascinating reading here...!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05