• (Thoughts on) The Double Life of Bob Dylan

From W-Dockery@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 9 10:24:39 2022
    Clinton Heylin on Levon Helm:

"Pat Keeler he's tough on several here, Levon Helm is portrayed as clueless about or too stubborn, to properly back Dylan. I think Helm just didn't like having someone else in control of "his" band. Meanwhile, Heylin portrays Robertson as credit grabbing.
    Both may be true, of course. Heylin flatly states that The Hawks before Dylan are not worth listening to. Which reminds me, I've never heard the early, pre Dylan Hawks."

Suze:

"Martin Schaefer some extra details I haven't seen, such as I didn't realize Suze was still so close in 1965-66 [...] Martin Schaefer Surprising that Dylan sent for her to visit his recording session for Desolation Row... while pregnant Sara seems to sit
    at home most of the time. The myth I grew up with was Suze was pretty much gone after the events of Ballad In Plain D [...] Jane E. Walker Heylin quotes Dylan, second hand from another person, where his reasoning for marrying Sara looked awful cold.
    Something like he wanted someone to "be there when I get home and give me what I need when I need it". I kept reading fast because I'm not sure I can properly deal with what it seems to say about where Dylan's heart and head was at in 1965-66 at the
    moment. I'm having enough trouble exorcising the phantoms of my own youth."

Heylin gets in some interesting new details (for me) on 1965-66, which I actually read first and now that the hectic holiday season is over, I'm starting on the first section.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Zod@21:1/5 to Will Dockery on Sun Jan 9 14:29:18 2022
    On Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 5:25:07 AM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:

"Pat Keeler he's tough on several here, Levon Helm is portrayed as clueless about or too stubborn, to properly back Dylan. I think Helm just didn't like having someone else in control of "his" band. Meanwhile, Heylin portrays Robertson as credit
    grabbing. Both may be true, of course. Heylin flatly states that The Hawks before Dylan are not worth listening to. Which reminds me, I've never heard the early, pre Dylan Hawks."

Suze:

"Martin Schaefer some extra details I haven't seen, such as I didn't realize Suze was still so close in 1965-66 [...] Martin Schaefer Surprising that Dylan sent for her to visit his recording session for Desolation Row... while pregnant Sara seems to
    sit at home most of the time. The myth I grew up with was Suze was pretty much gone after the events of Ballad In Plain D [...] Jane E. Walker Heylin quotes Dylan, second hand from another person, where his reasoning for marrying Sara looked awful cold.
    Something like he wanted someone to "be there when I get home and give me what I need when I need it". I kept reading fast because I'm not sure I can properly deal with what it seems to say about where Dylan's heart and head was at in 1965-66 at the

Heylin gets in some interesting new details (for me) on 1965-66, which I actually read first and now that the hectic holiday season is over, I'm starting on the first section.

Hence, the "double life"...?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From General Zod@21:1/5 to Will Dockery on Sun Mar 27 12:53:21 2022
    On Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 5:25:07 AM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:

"Pat Keeler he's tough on several here, Levon Helm is portrayed as clueless about or too stubborn, to properly back Dylan. I think Helm just didn't like having someone else in control of "his" band. Meanwhile, Heylin portrays Robertson as credit
    grabbing. Both may be true, of course. Heylin flatly states that The Hawks before Dylan are not worth listening to. Which reminds me, I've never heard the early, pre Dylan Hawks."

Suze:

"Martin Schaefer some extra details I haven't seen, such as I didn't realize Suze was still so close in 1965-66 [...] Martin Schaefer Surprising that Dylan sent for her to visit his recording session for Desolation Row... while pregnant Sara seems to
    sit at home most of the time. The myth I grew up with was Suze was pretty much gone after the events of Ballad In Plain D [...] Jane E. Walker Heylin quotes Dylan, second hand from another person, where his reasoning for marrying Sara looked awful cold.

it is in the library.... i will observe for it,.....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05