• The Double Life of Bob Dylan

From Will Dockery@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 15 20:05:24 2021
    I haven't read a Clinton Heylin book in about thirty years, but this one was at the library today and looks pretty interesting.

Any thoughts on it out there?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Zod@21:1/5 to Will Dockery on Thu Dec 16 15:49:51 2021
    On Wednesday, December 15, 2021 at 11:05:26 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:

I haven't read a Clinton Heylin book in about thirty years, but this one was at the library today and looks pretty interesting.

Anything really NEW in the book....?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Willie@21:1/5 to Zod on Fri Dec 17 12:34:38 2021
    On Thursday, December 16, 2021 at 6:49:53 PM UTC-5, Zod wrote:

Just read the David Kirby review in the Washington Post, and it seems that by "double life" this means his pre- and post-motorcycle lives. So far just the pre-motorcycle accident is published (basically, volume 1). The review doesn't mention any new
    revelations, just the "new angle" that there are two Bobs, the pre and post Bobs. Stephan Pickering would no doubt scoff.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Willie@21:1/5 to Willie on Fri Dec 17 12:40:00 2021
    On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 3:34:40 PM UTC-5, Willie wrote:

Just read the David Kirby review in the Washington Post, and it seems that by "double life" this means his pre- and post-motorcycle lives. So far just the pre-motorcycle accident is published (basically, volume 1). The review doesn't mention any new
    revelations, just the "new angle" that there are two Bobs, the pre and post Bobs. Stephan Pickering would no doubt scoff.
    I think Kirby's implication from the book is that Bob will become a warmer person in volume 2.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to Willie on Fri Dec 17 12:42:29 2021
    On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 2:34:40 PM UTC-6, Willie wrote:

However, the pre and post photos just might support this...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Willie@21:1/5 to pamel...@gmail.com on Fri Dec 17 12:53:16 2021
    On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 3:42:30 PM UTC-5, pamel...@gmail.com wrote:

I agree. The "Pickering would no doubt scoff" comment is a bit of a joke, as Stephan DESPISED Heylin, and had some derisive labels for him (one was "gossipographer").

A more in-depth review (this https://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/book-review/double-life-bob-dylan) gives some details about what's new in the book:

"But the real excitement and joy of this book emerges from Heylin’s discussion and analysis of copious party tapes, bootlegs, between-takes conversations and outbursts, combative and occasionally revealing interviews, contracts and related documents,
    and hand-scrawled manuscript revisions that he weaves into a fresh and engaging narrative. This portion of the Dylan story stretches from young Bobby Zimmerman’s adventures at north country Jewish summer camps and teenage forays into ’50s rock and
    roll through his many cycles of self-reinvention and past-rejection.

The narrative picks up speed as it moves Dylan through the Minneapolis and Greenwich Village folk scenes to the blistering, drug-fueled 1966 rock tour of Europe that sparked angry clashes with traditionalist fans and took Dylan to the fraying end of his
    personal tether, culminating in the motorcycle accident that ushered in a prolonged retreat from public life."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Dockery@21:1/5 to Willie on Fri Dec 17 13:19:18 2021

The book is a real page turner, two nights it's kept me up past the dawn.

🙂

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From General Zod@21:1/5 to Willie on Fri Dec 17 14:47:16 2021
    On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 3:53:18 PM UTC-5, Willie wrote:

Just read the David Kirby review in the Washington Post, and it seems that by "double life" this means his pre- and post-motorcycle lives. So far just the pre-motorcycle accident is published (basically, volume 1). The review doesn't mention any
    new revelations, just the "new angle" that there are two Bobs, the pre and post Bobs. Stephan Pickering would no doubt scoff.
    I agree. The "Pickering would no doubt scoff" comment is a bit of a joke, as Stephan DESPISED Heylin, and had some derisive labels for him (one was "gossipographer").

A more in-depth review (this https://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/book-review/double-life-bob-dylan) gives some details about what's new in the book:

"But the real excitement and joy of this book emerges from Heylin’s discussion and analysis of copious party tapes, bootlegs, between-takes conversations and outbursts, combative and occasionally revealing interviews, contracts and related documents,
    and hand-scrawled manuscript revisions that he weaves into a fresh and engaging narrative. This portion of the Dylan story stretches from young Bobby Zimmerman’s adventures at north country Jewish summer camps and teenage forays into ’50s rock and
    roll through his many cycles of self-reinvention and past-rejection.

The narrative picks up speed as it moves Dylan through the Minneapolis and Greenwich Village folk scenes to the blistering, drug-fueled 1966 rock tour of Europe that sparked angry clashes with traditionalist fans and took Dylan to the fraying end of
    his personal tether, culminating in the motorcycle accident that ushered in a prolonged retreat from public life."

I liked Pickering....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Willie@21:1/5 to Will Dockery on Fri Dec 17 18:18:10 2021
    On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 4:19:20 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:

🙂
    Like Johanna.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Dockery@21:1/5 to Willie on Fri Dec 17 23:09:31 2021
    On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 9:18:12 PM UTC-5, Willie wrote:

Just read the David Kirby review in the Washington Post, and it seems that by "double life" this means his pre- and post-motorcycle lives. So far just the pre-motorcycle accident is published (basically, volume 1). The review doesn't mention any
    new revelations, just the "new angle" that there are two Bobs, the pre and post Bobs. Stephan Pickering would no doubt scoff.

Like Johanna.

Yes, Heylin has a fairly long section on the night of the blackout in New York City, when Visions of Johanna was possibly written, interesting stuff.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Willie@21:1/5 to Will Dockery on Sat Dec 18 10:16:53 2021
    On Saturday, December 18, 2021 at 2:09:32 AM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:

Like Johanna.
    Yes, Heylin has a fairly long section on the night of the blackout in New York City, when Visions of Johanna was possibly written, interesting stuff.
    Okay, I put it on my Christmas wish list. I haven't read any Heylin books. I'll bet what set Stephan off on him was his book "Trouble in Mind: Bob Dylan's Gospel Years – What Really Happened. Lesser Gods." Or if Stephan already disliked Heylin, I'm
    sure that book was the final straw. I do wonder what became, not just of Stephan (it's pretty certain he died), but of his work-in-progress.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zod@21:1/5 to Will Dockery on Sat Dec 18 14:34:22 2021
    On Saturday, December 18, 2021 at 2:09:32 AM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:

Like Johanna.

Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones was there, I have read.....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to Will Dockery on Sun Dec 19 06:04:59 2021
    On Wednesday, December 15, 2021 at 10:05:26 PM UTC-6, Will Dockery wrote:

I see that a copy is waiting for me a the library...
    I am tentatively hopeful that it is forthcoming, but do consider Heylin a Dylan apologist...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From General Zod@21:1/5 to pamel...@gmail.com on Sun Dec 19 14:50:37 2021
    On Sunday, December 19, 2021 at 9:05:01 AM UTC-5, pamel...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, December 15, 2021 at 10:05:26 PM UTC-6, Will Dockery wrote:

I see that a copy is waiting for me a the library...
    I am tentatively hopeful that it is forthcoming, but do consider Heylin a Dylan apologist...

Cool...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to Will Dockery on Thu Dec 23 07:53:02 2021
    On Saturday, December 18, 2021 at 1:09:32 AM UTC-6, Will Dockery wrote:

Like Johanna.
    I look forward to perusing that section, and will probably be doing a post on the blackout and VOJ. I happened to be at a French restaurant in Midtown that night...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From General Zod@21:1/5 to pamel...@gmail.com on Mon Dec 27 16:24:26 2021
    On Thursday, December 23, 2021 at 10:53:04 AM UTC-5, pamel...@gmail.com wrote:

Just read the David Kirby review in the Washington Post, and it seems that by "double life" this means his pre- and post-motorcycle lives. So far just the pre-motorcycle accident is published (basically, volume 1). The review doesn't mention
    any new revelations, just the "new angle" that there are two Bobs, the pre and post Bobs. Stephan Pickering would no doubt scoff.

Like Johanna.
    I look forward to perusing that section, and will probably be doing a post on the blackout and VOJ. I happened to be at a French restaurant in Midtown that night...

Cool... cool...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to genera...@gmail.com on Tue Dec 28 19:28:43 2021
    On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 6:24:27 PM UTC-6, genera...@gmail.com wrote:

Just read the David Kirby review in the Washington Post, and it seems that by "double life" this means his pre- and post-motorcycle lives. So far just the pre-motorcycle accident is published (basically, volume 1). The review doesn't mention
    any new revelations, just the "new angle" that there are two Bobs, the pre and post Bobs. Stephan Pickering would no doubt scoff.

Like Johanna.
    Cool... cool...
    Ta da... https://dylagence.wordpress.com/2021/12/29/freeze-out-a-busy-night-at-the-chelsea-hotel-and-elsewhere-in-new-york-city/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Willie@21:1/5 to pamel...@gmail.com on Wed Dec 29 08:50:58 2021
    On Tuesday, December 28, 2021 at 10:28:44 PM UTC-5, pamel...@gmail.com wrote:

Just read the David Kirby review in the Washington Post, and it seems that by "double life" this means his pre- and post-motorcycle lives. So far just the pre-motorcycle accident is published (basically, volume 1). The review doesn't
    mention any new revelations, just the "new angle" that there are two Bobs, the pre and post Bobs. Stephan Pickering would no doubt scoff.

Like Johanna.
    Cool... cool...
    Ta da... https://dylagence.wordpress.com/2021/12/29/freeze-out-a-busy-night-at-the-chelsea-hotel-and-elsewhere-in-new-york-city/
    Very interesting and atmospheric. My recollection of November 9 is, well, nonexistent. I guess I was up at college in Massachusetts. I only vaguely remember the blackout. What did you dance to back at your apartment? The blackout had already occurred,
    right, so you couldn't play a record player, could you? Or was there spotty electricity for a while? I see that Wikipedia says:

"An aircheck of New York City radio station WABC from November 9, 1965 reveals disc jockey Dan Ingram doing a segment of his afternoon drive time show, during which he noted that a record he was playing (Jonathan King's 'Everyone's Gone to the Moon')
    sounded slow, as did the subsequent jingles played during a commercial break. Ingram quipped that the King record 'was in the key of R.' The station's music playback equipment used AC motors whose speed was dependent on the frequency of the powerline,
    normally 60 Hz. Comparisons of segments of the hit songs played at the time of the broadcast, minutes before the blackout happened, in this aircheck, as compared to the same song recordings played at normal speed reveal that approximately six minutes
    before blackout the line frequency was 56 Hz, and just two minutes before the blackout that frequency dropped to 51 Hz.[5] As Si Zentner's recording of '(Up a) Lazy River' plays in the background – again at a slower-than-normal tempo – Ingram
    mentions that the lights in the studio are dimming, then suggests that the electricity itself is slowing down, adding, 'I didn't know that could happen.' When the station's Action Central News report comes on at 5:25 pm ET, the staff remains oblivious to
    the impending blackout. The lead story is still Roger Allen LaPorte's self-immolation at United Nations Headquarters earlier that day to protest American military involvement in the Vietnam War; a taped sound bite with the attending physician plays
    noticeably slower and lower than usual. The newscast gradually fizzles out as power is lost by the time newscaster Bill Rice starts delivering the second story about New Jersey Senator Clifford P. Case's comments on his home state's recent gubernatorial
    election."

We had a go around a couple of years ago on the blackout and VoJ, and wondered about the lines

"The country music station plays soft
    But there's nothing, really nothing to turn off"

"nothing to turn off" seems a reference to the blackout, but how did the country music station play soft (unless they were playing a transistor radio?)?

My favorite line (among many) in VoJ has always been "Oh, jewels and binoculars hang from the head of the mule." Where did he come up with that?

Must have been fun, Pamela, to be in that scene in '65.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to Willie on Wed Dec 29 10:31:08 2021
    On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 10:51:00 AM UTC-6, Willie wrote:

Just read the David Kirby review in the Washington Post, and it seems that by "double life" this means his pre- and post-motorcycle lives. So far just the pre-motorcycle accident is published (basically, volume 1). The review doesn't
    mention any new revelations, just the "new angle" that there are two Bobs, the pre and post Bobs. Stephan Pickering would no doubt scoff.

Like Johanna.
    Cool... cool...
    Very interesting and atmospheric. My recollection of November 9 is, well, nonexistent. I guess I was up at college in Massachusetts. I only vaguely remember the blackout. What did you dance to back at your apartment? The blackout had already occurred,
    right, so you couldn't play a record player, could you? Or was there spotty electricity for a while? I see that Wikipedia says:
    ***I've updated the post to clarify my recollections a bit. Yes, I think we had reception on transistor radios of one sort or another during the night...

"An aircheck of New York City radio station WABC from November 9, 1965 reveals disc jockey Dan Ingram doing a segment of his afternoon drive time show, during which he noted that a record he was playing (Jonathan King's 'Everyone's Gone to the Moon')
    sounded slow, as did the subsequent jingles played during a commercial break. Ingram quipped that the King record 'was in the key of R.' The station's music playback equipment used AC motors whose speed was dependent on the frequency of the powerline,
    normally 60 Hz. Comparisons of segments of the hit songs played at the time of the broadcast, minutes before the blackout happened, in this aircheck, as compared to the same song recordings played at normal speed reveal that approximately six minutes
    before blackout the line frequency was 56 Hz, and just two minutes before the blackout that frequency dropped to 51 Hz.[5] As Si Zentner's recording of '(Up a) Lazy River' plays in the background – again at a slower-than-normal tempo – Ingram
    mentions that the lights in the studio are dimming, then suggests that the electricity itself is slowing down, adding, 'I didn't know that could happen.' When the station's Action Central News report comes on at 5:25 pm ET, the staff remains oblivious to
    the impending blackout. The lead story is still Roger Allen LaPorte's self-immolation at United Nations Headquarters earlier that day to protest American military involvement in the Vietnam War; a taped sound bite with the attending physician plays
    noticeably slower and lower than usual. The newscast gradually fizzles out as power is lost by the time newscaster Bill Rice starts delivering the second story about New Jersey Senator Clifford P. Case's comments on his home state's recent gubernatorial
    election."

We had a go around a couple of years ago on the blackout and VoJ, and wondered about the lines

"nothing to turn off" seems a reference to the blackout, but how did the country music station play soft (unless they were playing a transistor radio?)?
    *** Probably.

My favorite line (among many) in VoJ has always been "Oh, jewels and binoculars hang from the head of the mule." Where did he come up with that?

***I know. Isn't that an incredible line? If Bob did go to the Met to see the Mona Lisa (or was at a museum at another time) I would think he was probably high on something and seeing through the phoniness of the old ladies going to the museum in their
    jewels and furs without any understanding of the significance of the artwork they are blabbing about... much less that infinity has gone on trial?

I don't think I ever took. it for granted...
    Update... https://dylagence.wordpress.com/2021/12/29/freeze-out-a-busy-night-at-the-chelsea-hotel-and-elsewhere-in-new-york-city/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Willie@21:1/5 to Willie on Wed Dec 29 11:53:32 2021
    On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 2:37:05 PM UTC-5, Willie wrote:
    On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 1:31:10 PM UTC-5, pamel...@gmail.com wrote:

Like Johanna.
    Cool... cool...
    Very interesting and atmospheric. My recollection of November 9 is, well, nonexistent. I guess I was up at college in Massachusetts. I only vaguely remember the blackout. What did you dance to back at your apartment? The blackout had already
    occurred, right, so you couldn't play a record player, could you? Or was there spotty electricity for a while? I see that Wikipedia says:
    ***I've updated the post to clarify my recollections a bit. Yes, I think we had reception on transistor radios of one sort or another during the night...

"An aircheck of New York City radio station WABC from November 9, 1965 reveals disc jockey Dan Ingram doing a segment of his afternoon drive time show, during which he noted that a record he was playing (Jonathan King's 'Everyone's Gone to the Moon'
    ) sounded slow, as did the subsequent jingles played during a commercial break. Ingram quipped that the King record 'was in the key of R.' The station's music playback equipment used AC motors whose speed was dependent on the frequency of the powerline,
    election."

*** Probably.

***I know. Isn't that an incredible line? If Bob did go to the Met to see the Mona Lisa (or was at a museum at another time) I would think he was probably high on something and seeing through the phoniness of the old ladies going to the museum in
    their jewels and furs without any understanding of the significance of the artwork they are blabbing about... much less that infinity has gone on trial?

Update... https://dylagence.wordpress.com/2021/12/29/freeze-out-a-busy-night-at-the-chelsea-hotel-and-elsewhere-in-new-york-city/
    I like your theory about the "jewels and binoculars" line. I wonder if anyone has ever asked him about that line. K? Will? JK?
    I mean, enough time has passed that he could accommodate a question like that. It's not as "artistically intrusive" as, say, who was Louise or the Sad-eyed lady?
    Just read the update. Wow, "Try to Remember." I'd totally forgotten about that, though it's one of those earworms that visits me periodically. I thought saw "The Fantasticks" in around 1963 in Chicago, but I can't find verification that it was there then.
    Maybe I saw the abbreviated TV version broadcast by the Hallmark Hall of Fame on October 18, 1964. I wonder if it plays well today.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Willie@21:1/5 to pamel...@gmail.com on Wed Dec 29 11:37:03 2021

Like Johanna.
    Cool... cool...

election."

*** Probably.

***I know. Isn't that an incredible line? If Bob did go to the Met to see the Mona Lisa (or was at a museum at another time) I would think he was probably high on something and seeing through the phoniness of the old ladies going to the museum in their
    jewels and furs without any understanding of the significance of the artwork they are blabbing about... much less that infinity has gone on trial?

I like your theory about the "jewels and binoculars" line. I wonder if anyone has ever asked him about that line. K? Will? JK?
    I mean, enough time has passed that he could accommodate a question like that. It's not as "artistically intrusive" as, say, who was Louise or the Sad-eyed lady?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From marc.catone@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 29 12:19:15 2021
    On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 11:51:00 AM UTC-5, Willie wrote:
    ET, the staff remains oblivious to the impending blackout. The lead story is still Roger Allen LaPorte's self-immolation at United Nations Headquarters earlier that day to protest American military involvement in the Vietnam War; a taped sound bite with
    the attending physician plays noticeably slower and lower than usual. The newscast gradually fizzles out as power is lost by the time newscaster Bill Rice starts delivering the second story about New Jersey Senator Clifford P. Case's comments on his home
    state's recent gubernatorial election."

Like Johanna.
    Cool... cool...

mentions that the lights in the studio are dimming, then suggests that the electricity itself is slowing down, adding, 'I didn't know that could happen.' When the station's Action Central News report comes on at 5:25 pm

The Blackout of the Northeast in 1965 had a long lasting effect on me. I was 15. My sister and I were listening to Dan Ingram when the lights went out. The last song Ingram played was "Up The Lazy River. He always played an instrumental before the news
    came on. Sometimes he played "the Stripper" by David Rose. I was in CT. lights came on around 10 PM. Unfortunately, it came back on for me to do my homework. LOL

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From General Zod@21:1/5 to Willie on Wed Dec 29 15:12:10 2021
    On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 2:37:05 PM UTC-5, Willie wrote:

Like Johanna.
    Cool... cool...
    Very interesting and atmospheric. My recollection of November 9 is, well, nonexistent. I guess I was up at college in Massachusetts. I only vaguely remember the blackout. What did you dance to back at your apartment? The blackout had already
    occurred, right, so you couldn't play a record player, could you? Or was there spotty electricity for a while? I see that Wikipedia says:

"An aircheck of New York City radio station WABC from November 9, 1965 reveals disc jockey Dan Ingram doing a segment of his afternoon drive time show, during which he noted that a record he was playing (Jonathan King's 'Everyone's Gone to the Moon'
    ) sounded slow, as did the subsequent jingles played during a commercial break. Ingram quipped that the King record 'was in the key of R.' The station's music playback equipment used AC motors whose speed was dependent on the frequency of the powerline,
    election."

*** Probably.

***I know. Isn't that an incredible line? If Bob did go to the Met to see the Mona Lisa (or was at a museum at another time) I would think he was probably high on something and seeing through the phoniness of the old ladies going to the museum in
    their jewels and furs without any understanding of the significance of the artwork they are blabbing about... much less that infinity has gone on trial?

And later, Charlie Watts on the Yah Yahs cover....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to Willie on Thu Dec 30 08:25:10 2021
    On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 1:37:05 PM UTC-6, Willie wrote:

Like Johanna.
    Cool... cool...

election."

*** Probably.

Wouldn't it be awesome to hear Bob's recollections on this...we can hope...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to genera...@gmail.com on Thu Dec 30 08:26:17 2021

Like Johanna.
    Cool... cool...
    Well look what I just found...John and Yoko met on November 9 the following year...
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/on-this-day-in-1966-john-meets-yoko

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zod@21:1/5 to pamel...@gmail.com on Thu Dec 30 15:20:41 2021
    On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 11:25:12 AM UTC-5, pamel...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 1:37:05 PM UTC-6, Willie wrote:

Just read the David Kirby review in the Washington Post, and it seems that by "double life" this means his pre- and post-motorcycle lives. So far just the pre-motorcycle accident is published (basically, volume 1). The review doesn'
    t mention any new revelations, just the "new angle" that there are two Bobs, the pre and post Bobs. Stephan Pickering would no doubt scoff.

Like Johanna.
    Cool... cool...

"An aircheck of New York City radio station WABC from November 9, 1965 reveals disc jockey Dan Ingram doing a segment of his afternoon drive time show, during which he noted that a record he was playing (Jonathan King's 'Everyone's Gone to the
    Moon') sounded slow, as did the subsequent jingles played during a commercial break. Ingram quipped that the King record 'was in the key of R.' The station's music playback equipment used AC motors whose speed was dependent on the frequency of the
    powerline, normally 60 Hz. Comparisons of segments of the hit songs played at the time of the broadcast, minutes before the blackout happened, in this aircheck, as compared to the same song recordings played at normal speed reveal that approximately six
    minutes before blackout the line frequency was 56 Hz, and just two minutes before the blackout that frequency dropped to 51 Hz.[5] As Si Zentner's recording of '(Up a) Lazy River' plays in the background – again at a slower-than-normal tempo – Ingram
    election."

*** Probably.

Wouldn't it be awesome to hear Bob's recollections on this...we can hope...

Indeed....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Just Walkin'@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 5 16:08:10 2022

Like Johanna.
    Cool... cool...

election."

Hiya Willie. I remember that night well. I was about 13 when the lights went out in southern Connecticut. The only light on the roads were headlights. It took forever for my mother to pick us up where we were and get us home in an endless procession of
    cars lighting up the night. Interesting life lesson: Though the power was out, the phones worked; the phone company supplies its own power for landlines. Hence, it is wise to always have a corded landline!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Willie@21:1/5 to Just Walkin' on Fri Jan 7 11:56:14 2022
    On Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 7:08:11 PM UTC-5, Just Walkin' wrote:

Like Johanna.
    Cool... cool...

election."

Hiya Willie. I remember that night well. I was about 13 when the lights went out in southern Connecticut. The only light on the roads were headlights. It took forever for my mother to pick us up where we were and get us home in an endless procession of
    cars lighting up the night. Interesting life lesson: Though the power was out, the phones worked; the phone company supplies its own power for landlines. Hence, it is wise to always have a corded landline!
    Did not know that about landlines having their own power supply. I'm pretty sure, though, when we have a power outage, our "landline" goes down, as the phones are cordless and their base depends on the electrical outlet. Maybe I'll go back to a corded
    landline.

I thought by now, Will, we'd be discussing the Heylin book, but I also got Keith Richards' "Life" as a present, and I dipped into it first and am hooked (and it's massive). Haven't even cracked the Heylin yet.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to Pamela Brown on Fri Jan 7 20:23:47 2022
    On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 10:26:19 AM UTC-6, Pamela Brown wrote:

Like Johanna.
    Cool... cool...
    Well look what I just found...John and Yoko met on November 9 the following year...

Another couple of odd co-incidences...while my husband-to-be and I were engaged, Donner's mother, Beatsy Brown, attended an opera at the Met and then unexpectedly died in her sleep. Donner and I flew to NYC for her memorial service, which was to be in
    the Brown's family apartment, around the corner from the Guggenheim Museum, just off Central Park...But we also wanted to pay our respects, so we went to the Campbell Funeral Home on Madison Ave...she was going to be cremated, and my first view of her
    was in a tacky plywood box. It was a very distressing experience, especially as she had meant the world to Donner.

After John Lennon's death, he was taken to Campbell Funeral Home and probably cremated there.
    Donner's Mother died on November 9, 1997, the same night as that NYC blackout, and the same day that John and Yoko met...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Willie@21:1/5 to pamel...@gmail.com on Sat Jan 8 09:02:56 2022
    On Friday, January 7, 2022 at 11:23:49 PM UTC-5, pamel...@gmail.com wrote:

Like Johanna.
    Cool... cool...
    Another couple of odd co-incidences...while my husband-to-be and I were engaged, Donner's mother, Beatsy Brown, attended an opera at the Met and then unexpectedly died in her sleep. Donner and I flew to NYC for her memorial service, which was to be in
    the Brown's family apartment, around the corner from the Guggenheim Museum, just off Central Park...But we also wanted to pay our respects, so we went to the Campbell Funeral Home on Madison Ave...she was going to be cremated, and my first view of her
    was in a tacky plywood box. It was a very distressing experience, especially as she had meant the world to Donner.

After John Lennon's death, he was taken to Campbell Funeral Home and probably cremated there.
    Donner's Mother died on November 9, 1997, the same night as that NYC blackout, and the same day that John and Yoko met...
    Those coincidences are eerie. (You have a lot of such.) I hadn't known that John was cremated, but why not. I wonder if George was, too. Ah, I see he was cremated in L.A., but this piece says his ashes were to be scattered into the Ganges: http://edition.
    cnn.com/2001/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/03/harrison.india/index.html
    Not sure they scattered all of his ashes there, as I've also seen reports that his burial place is the Hollywood Forever Cemetery (where he was cremated).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Dockery@21:1/5 to Willie on Sat Jan 8 21:39:23 2022
    On Friday, January 7, 2022 at 2:56:15 PM UTC-5, Willie wrote:
    On Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 7:08:11 PM UTC-5, Just Walkin' wrote:

Like Johanna.
    Cool... cool...

election."

Hiya Willie. I remember that night well. I was about 13 when the lights went out in southern Connecticut. The only light on the roads were headlights. It took forever for my mother to pick us up where we were and get us home in an endless procession
    of cars lighting up the night. Interesting life lesson: Though the power was out, the phones worked; the phone company supplies its own power for landlines. Hence, it is wise to always have a corded landline!
    Did not know that about landlines having their own power supply. I'm pretty sure, though, when we have a power outage, our "landline" goes down, as the phones are cordless and their base depends on the electrical outlet. Maybe I'll go back to a corded
    landline.

I thought by now, Will, we'd be discussing the Heylin book, but I also got Keith Richards' "Life" as a present, and I dipped into it first and am hooked (and it's massive). Haven't even cracked the Heylin yet.

Hello, Willie. I posted a lot of my thoughts on the book elsewhere, on a Facebook Bob Dylan group, a fairly good one but it's private, so anything posted there in theory never gets archived anywhere.

So... I'm thinking about importing some of my comments made there to here, for further discussion.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From W.Dockery@21:1/5 to Zod on Sun Jan 9 10:33:22 2022
    Zod wrote:

To me, yes.

Heylin describes the miles of footage shot on the 1966 World tour... fascinating material, again nothing really earth shaking, but good new Dylan trivia.

The attempted drug bust in Australia, Spring 1966. Never heard of any of that until now.

Seems to be an expanded version of his 1980s biography "Behind the Shades". A lot of new material though.

I've read Scaduto, Spitz, Shelton, Williams and earlier Heylin, and there are new details here. Not all particularly earth shaking, but new and interesting details nevertheless.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Just Walkin'@21:1/5 to Willie on Sun Jan 9 14:25:51 2022
    On Friday, January 7, 2022 at 1:56:15 PM UTC-6, Willie wrote:

Hiya Willie. I remember that night well. I was about 13 when the lights went out in southern Connecticut. The only light on the roads were headlights. It took forever for my mother to pick us up where we were and get us home in an endless procession
    of cars lighting up the night. Interesting life lesson: Though the power was out, the phones worked; the phone company supplies its own power for landlines. Hence, it is wise to always have a corded landline!
    landline.

Good idea, Willie! My kids make fun of me all the time for still having a corded landline, in addition to a cell phone, but when we had a power failure a while back, I was the only around with phone serve. None of their cell towers of landline cordless
    base stations had power even if their handsets did!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Just Walkin'@21:1/5 to Just Walkin' on Sun Jan 9 14:28:51 2022
    On Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 4:25:52 PM UTC-6, Just Walkin' wrote:

Good idea, Willie! My kids make fun of me all the time for still having a corded landline, in addition to a cell phone, but when we had a power failure a while back, I was the only around with phone serve. None of their cell towers of landline cordless
    base stations had power even if their handsets did!
    *phone service

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to Just Walkin' on Mon Jan 10 05:17:09 2022
    On Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 4:28:52 PM UTC-6, Just Walkin' wrote:

Good idea, Willie! My kids make fun of me all the time for still having a corded landline, in addition to a cell phone, but when we had a power failure a while back, I was the only around with phone serve. None of their cell towers of landline
    cordless base stations had power even if their handsets did!
    *phone service
    I remember our old Fairfield phone number CLearwater 9-3902...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to Willie on Mon Jan 10 05:21:15 2022
    On Saturday, January 8, 2022 at 11:02:58 AM UTC-6, Willie wrote:
    On Friday, January 7, 2022 at 11:23:49 PM UTC-5, pamel...@gmail.com wrote:

Like Johanna.
    Cool... cool...
    Another couple of odd co-incidences...while my husband-to-be and I were engaged, Donner's mother, Beatsy Brown, attended an opera at the Met and then unexpectedly died in her sleep. Donner and I flew to NYC for her memorial service, which was to be
    in the Brown's family apartment, around the corner from the Guggenheim Museum, just off Central Park...But we also wanted to pay our respects, so we went to the Campbell Funeral Home on Madison Ave...she was going to be cremated, and my first view of her

Those coincidences are eerie. (You have a lot of such.) I hadn't known that John was cremated, but why not. I wonder if George was, too. Ah, I see he was cremated in L.A., but this piece says his ashes were to be scattered into the Ganges: http://
    edition.cnn.com/2001/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/03/harrison.india/index.html
    Not sure they scattered all of his ashes there, as I've also seen reports that his burial place is the Hollywood Forever Cemetery (where he was cremated).

I know. I'm not sure what to make of them...but I have set aside the Heylin book for the moment and instead just read Rosen's Nowhere Man, about John. Interesting take...not too keen on Yoko...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zod@21:1/5 to will.d...@gmail.com on Mon Jan 10 15:35:29 2022
    On Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 5:35:07 AM UTC-5, will.d...@gmail.com wrote:
    Zod wrote:

To me, yes.

Heylin describes the miles of footage shot on the 1966 World tour... fascinating material, again nothing really earth shaking, but good new Dylan trivia.

The attempted drug bust in Australia, Spring 1966. Never heard of any of that until now.

Seems to be an expanded version of his 1980s biography "Behind the Shades". A lot of new material though.

I've read Scaduto, Spitz, Shelton, Williams and earlier Heylin, and there are new details here. Not all particularly earth shaking, but new and interesting details nevertheless.

Of interest

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Just Walkin'@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 13 15:25:58 2022
    On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 7:17:11 AM UTC-6

Good idea, Willie! My kids make fun of me all the time for still having a corded landline, in addition to a cell phone, but when we had a power failure a while back, I was the only around with phone serve. None of their cell towers of landline
    *phone service
    Ours was EDison 5-3884. It was our old Bridgeport exchange but we kept it when we moved to Fairfield.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to Just Walkin' on Sat Jan 15 11:21:33 2022
    On Thursday, January 13, 2022 at 5:26:00 PM UTC-6, Just Walkin' wrote:

*phone service
    Ours was EDison 5-3884. It was our old Bridgeport exchange but we kept it when we moved to Fairfield.
    That is so cool that after all this time we are comparing ancient Fairfield/Bridgeport phone numbers! I vaguely recall the EDison prefix too...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zod@21:1/5 to pamel...@gmail.com on Sun Jan 16 14:21:28 2022
    On Saturday, January 15, 2022 at 2:21:34 PM UTC-5, pamel...@gmail.com wrote:

*phone service
    That is so cool that after all this time we are comparing ancient Fairfield/Bridgeport phone numbers! I vaguely recall the EDison prefix too...

Synchronicity... do you have any Buffalo NY connections...?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to Zod on Mon Jan 17 11:25:20 2022
    On Sunday, January 16, 2022 at 4:21:30 PM UTC-6, Zod wrote:

Good idea, Willie! My kids make fun of me all the time for still having a corded landline, in addition to a cell phone, but when we had a power failure a while back, I was the only around with phone serve. None of their cell towers of
    landline cordless base stations had power even if their handsets did!
    *phone service
    Not that I know of.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Just Walkin'@21:1/5 to Zod on Wed Jan 26 20:57:27 2022
    On Saturday, January 15, 2022 at 2:21:34 PM UTC-5,

Good idea, Willie! My kids make fun of me all the time for still having a corded landline, in addition to a cell phone, but when we had a power failure a while back, I was the only around with phone serve. None of their cell towers of
    *phone service
    No, but Gimbel's had a Murray Hill exchange they used to advertise on TV in the NYC metro. "Call Murray Hill 7-7500, that's Murray Hill 7-7500, In the suburbs call collect!"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to Just Walkin' on Thu Jan 27 04:28:07 2022
    On Wednesday, January 26, 2022 at 10:57:29 PM UTC-6, Just Walkin' wrote:
    On Saturday, January 15, 2022 at 2:21:34 PM UTC-5,

*phone service
    No, but Gimbel's had a Murray Hill exchange they used to advertise on TV in the NYC metro. "Call Murray Hill 7-7500, that's Murray Hill 7-7500, In the suburbs call collect!"
    I remember that!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zod@21:1/5 to pamel...@gmail.com on Wed Feb 16 15:48:34 2022
    On Monday, January 17, 2022 at 2:25:22 PM UTC-5, pamel...@gmail.com wrote:

*phone service
    Not that I know of.

Ok just curious....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to Zod on Thu Feb 17 04:20:52 2022
    On Wednesday, February 16, 2022 at 5:48:38 PM UTC-6, Zod wrote:

*phone service
    Not that I know of.
    Ok just curious....
    Two in Erie...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From General Zod@21:1/5 to pamel...@gmail.com on Tue Feb 22 16:20:48 2022
    On Thursday, February 17, 2022 at 7:20:55 AM UTC-5, pamel...@gmail.com wrote:

*phone service
    Not that I know of.
    Ok just curious....
    Two in Erie...

On the lake..?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to genera...@gmail.com on Thu Feb 24 05:19:50 2022
    On Tuesday, February 22, 2022 at 6:20:52 PM UTC-6, genera...@gmail.com wrote:

*phone service
    Not that I know of.
    Ok just curious....
    Two in Erie...
    On the lake..?
    In town...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zod@21:1/5 to pamel...@gmail.com on Thu Feb 24 14:30:14 2022
    On Thursday, February 24, 2022 at 8:19:54 AM UTC-5, pamel...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, February 22, 2022 at 6:20:52 PM UTC-6, genera...@gmail.com wrote:

Good idea, Willie! My kids make fun of me all the time for still having a corded landline, in addition to a cell phone, but when we had a power failure a while back, I was the only around with phone serve. None of their cell towers
    of landline cordless base stations had power even if their handsets did!
    *phone service
    Not that I know of.
    Ok just curious....
    Two in Erie...
    On the lake..?
    In town...

I'm familair with the area, grew up in the North....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zod@21:1/5 to pamel...@gmail.com on Wed Mar 2 16:08:27 2022

Perhaps....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zod@21:1/5 to Willie on Tue Apr 12 13:14:54 2022

Cool....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05