• The "Dark" songs written between Desire & Street Legal

From Will Dockery@21:1/5 to khematite on Thu Jul 8 11:14:57 2021
    On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 5:25:37 PM UTC-4, khematite wrote:
    On Wednesday, 7 September 2016 06:05:57 UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

Now that, after David Bowie's death this year, the previously unreleased 1974 album of his, The Gouster, is suddenly being released this month, I wonder if the similarly hidden 1977 songs Dylan played for a guitarist (Bloomfield or Bromberg, I forget
    which person was quoted) that were said to be "very dark", may someday also surface?

And just what is really known about these songs? Anything besides just the slightest descriptions?
    http://www.uncut.co.uk/features/shelter-from-the-storm-the-inside-story-of-bob-dylan-s-blood-on-the-tracks-15656

"In 1977, while visiting Rolling Thunder tour-mates Steven Soles and T-Bone Burnett, he played a set of songs too frightening to ever be heard again: like Blood On The Tracks 2, with the love torn out. “They were all very, very, very tough, dark,
    dark, dark songs,” Soles told Howard Sounes. “None of them saw the light of day. They got discarded because I think they were too strong. They were the continuation of the Bob and Sara tale, on the angry side of that conflict.” One of these
    blackest of tracks, “I’m Cold”, scared Soles. “It was scathing and tough and venomous. A song that would bring a chill to your bones. That’s what it did to me. T-Bone and I, when he left, our mouths were just wide open. We couldn’t even
    believe what we’d heard.”

This is it, thanks K.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Will Dockery@21:1/5 to khematite on Thu Jul 8 11:10:21 2021
    On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 10:59:23 AM UTC-4, khematite wrote:
    On Thursday, 8 September 2016 09:12:57 UTC-4, Willie wrote:
    Now that, after David Bowie's death this year, the previously unreleased 1974 album of his, The Gouster, is suddenly being released this month, I wonder if the similarly hidden 1977 songs Dylan played for a guitarist (Bloomfield or Bromberg, I
    forget which person was quoted) that were said to be "very dark", may someday also surface?

And just what is really known about these songs? Anything besides just the slightest descriptions?

http://www.uncut.co.uk/features/shelter-from-the-storm-the-inside-story-of-bob-dylan-s-blood-on-the-tracks-15656

"In 1977, while visiting Rolling Thunder tour-mates Steven Soles and T-Bone Burnett, he played a set of songs too frightening to ever be heard again: like Blood On The Tracks 2, with the love torn out. “They were all very, very, very tough, dark,
    dark, dark songs,” Soles told Howard Sounes. “None of them saw the light of day. They got discarded because I think they were too strong. They were the continuation of the Bob and Sara tale, on the angry side of that conflict.” One of these
    blackest of tracks, “I’m Cold”, scared Soles. “It was scathing and tough and venomous. A song that would bring a chill to your bones. That’s what it did to me. T-Bone and I, when he left, our mouths were just wide open. We couldn’t even

One by-product of this Uncut article is it links to a recent photo of Joni Mitchell, who seems to be out and about some now:

http://jonimitchell.com/news/newsitem.cfm?id=899

I guess these unrecorded songs will join the list of unsolved mysteries. Like video footage of Elmore James, Robert Johnson's death, SNL Pat's gender. There probably is a site for the Dylan hidden treasures.
    One list at:

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1157-beyond-the-bootlegs-bob-dylans-unreleased-holy-grails/

I'm sure there's lots more, including of course Dylan's bar mitzvah performance--probably done in his sweet voice. Come to think of it, you also never see the fountain pens he received that day offered up on eBay.

Revisting this, asking around...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to M. Rick on Sat Jul 10 12:07:15 2021
    On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 2:58:14 PM UTC-5, M. Rick wrote:
    On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 4:07:40 AM UTC-7, Will Dockery wrote:
    Do you have examples of those you suspect?
    - number of Dylan items in one's possession
    - amount of money and time spent on Dylan
    - using the phrase "true Dylan fan" (or equivalent like "true Jew") to distinguish the enlightened from the rest
    - obsession with Dylan's personal life
    - Dylan shrines or pictorial displays around the house
    - notion that Dylan is the messiah and/or Jesus
    - notion that Dylan is a prophet sent by God
    - notion that Dylan stands alone among the history of the world's artists
    - religious and moral rationalizations for idolatry
    In other words, a state, or, in my case, it seems a world, of Utter Dylerium...Everywhere I go I see or hear a quote from one of his songs...
    The only possible remedy is to (only temporarily, of course) completely withdraw from all things Dylan and focus on music of others, until sanity gradually reappears...
    I suggest:
    Mozart
    Metallica
    Nirvana
    AC/DC
    Bruce Springsteen
    Mahler
    The Beatles
    Songs of faith (we have KTIS in the Twin Cities)
    Early blues, such as Robert Johnson
    Elvis Presley
    Donovan (my late husband played and recorded with him <sigh>...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to Pamela Brown on Sun Jul 11 10:20:14 2021
    On Saturday, July 10, 2021 at 2:07:17 PM UTC-5, Pamela Brown wrote:
    On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 2:58:14 PM UTC-5, M. Rick wrote:
    On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 4:07:40 AM UTC-7, Will Dockery wrote:
    Do you have examples of those you suspect?
    - number of Dylan items in one's possession
    - amount of money and time spent on Dylan
    - using the phrase "true Dylan fan" (or equivalent like "true Jew") to distinguish the enlightened from the rest
    - obsession with Dylan's personal life
    - Dylan shrines or pictorial displays around the house
    - notion that Dylan is the messiah and/or Jesus
    - notion that Dylan is a prophet sent by God
    - notion that Dylan stands alone among the history of the world's artists
    - religious and moral rationalizations for idolatry
    In other words, a state, or, in my case, it seems a world, of Utter Dylerium...Everywhere I go I see or hear a quote from one of his songs...
    The only possible remedy is to (only temporarily, of course) completely withdraw from all things Dylan and focus on music of others, until sanity gradually reappears...
    I suggest:
    Mozart
    Metallica
    Nirvana
    AC/DC
    Bruce Springsteen
    Mahler
    The Beatles
    Songs of faith (we have KTIS in the Twin Cities)
    Early blues, such as Robert Johnson
    Elvis Presley
    Donovan (my late husband played and recorded with him <sigh>...
    How could I forget Prince?
    And Miles Davis...he has had such a profound influence on my life that Miles is my horse's nickname...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to DianeE on Sun Jul 11 10:17:50 2021
    On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 6:40:45 AM UTC-5, DianeE wrote:
    "Will Dockery" <will.d...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:3ae632ae-66df-47dc...@googlegroups.com...
    On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 9:24:41 PM UTC-4, M. Rick wrote:
    On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 11:29:27 PM UTC-7, Will Dockery wrote: >> >True, M.R. seems to be one of the biggest fools we'v e seen come down
    the pike in a long while.

It's probably foolish to keep posting here for my own benefit

Well, if it somehow does you good, I reckon you should keep going... a little heckling never killed anyone.

---------------
    That's the thing, Will; I see M. Rick (and suspect he sees himself) as more of a gadfly than a troll.

DianeE
    Funny. But we all know what happened to Socrates...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pamela Brown@21:1/5 to George Sulzbach on Sun Jul 11 10:18:23 2021
    On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 8:03:49 PM UTC-5, George Sulzbach wrote:
    I would like to hear these lost songs.
    So would I...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zod@21:1/5 to khematite on Wed May 4 13:23:24 2022

Now that, after David Bowie's death this year, the previously unreleased 1974 album of his, The Gouster, is suddenly being released this month, I wonder if the similarly hidden 1977 songs Dylan played for a guitarist (Bloomfield or Bromberg, I forget
    which person was quoted) that were said to be "very dark", may someday also surface?

Strange... these sound like some important songs....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Willie@21:1/5 to Zod on Thu May 5 18:12:44 2022
    On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 4:23:26 PM UTC-4, Zod wrote:

Now that, after David Bowie's death this year, the previously unreleased 1974 album of his, The Gouster, is suddenly being released this month, I wonder if the similarly hidden 1977 songs Dylan played for a guitarist (Bloomfield or Bromberg, I
    forget which person was quoted) that were said to be "very dark", may someday also surface?

I'd forgotten this thread. K's link to the Dylan Holy Grails led to this video, which shows an eerie (I thought) melodic similarity between Neil Young's "Helpless" and "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," which I'd never noticed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
    2sDGTZRdQdw&t=102s

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zod@21:1/5 to Willie on Fri May 6 10:36:41 2022
    On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 9:12:46 PM UTC-4, Willie wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 4:23:26 PM UTC-4, Zod wrote:

I'd forgotten this thread. K's link to the Dylan Holy Grails led to this video, which shows an eerie (I thought) melodic similarity between Neil Young's "Helpless" and "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," which I'd never noticed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?
    v=2sDGTZRdQdw&t=102s

Of interest......!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zod@21:1/5 to khematite on Mon May 9 11:13:29 2022

This material sounds fascinating....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05