• Re: Is the December, 1956 recording by The Jokers available =?UTF-8?B?c

From General-Zod@21:1/5 to Willie on Sun Dec 17 14:14:13 2023
    Willie wrote:

On Saturday, December 9, 2023 at 11:52:48 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
    On Saturday, December 9, 2023 at 5:37:54 PM UTC-5, Willie wrote:

The book "Bob Dylan: Mixing Up the Medicine" has a section, written by Lee Ranaldo, called "I Just Wanna See It" about the acetate disc Bob, Larry Kegan, and Howie Rutman made in December, 1956 in Hibbing. I was surprised to not be able to find an
    online version of this 4-minute recording. It's not totally clear to me from the section whether the Tulsa museum has the disc itself. Ranaldo writes, "Finally, after tugging repeatedly on a few sleeves, I did get to see a images of the actual disc," and
    the section has what looks like a photo of it, but has the caption "Original painting by Duncan Hannah of The Jokers acetate recorded at Terlinde Music December 24, 1956." Ranaldo then writes, "I managed to hear it a bunch of times as well, across many
    weeks." But it's not clear if the museum has the acetate locked away and gave him access to it, or if they played a digital version of it for him, or what.

Does anyone out there know if there is a publicly available version?
    Sure makes me wonder.

🙂
    One thing I omitted from Ranaldo's section is that he says at first Larry Kegan had the disc, but gave it to Louie Kemp, who kept it in a safe deposit box for decades, then gave it back to Kegan just before Larry died. But Ranaldo says nothing about
    how (or if) it went from Kegan to the Tulsa museum.. I posted this at Expecting Rain, so maybe someone there knows more about it.

Quite fascinating, I thank.

Passing this news/suggestion along:

With Google Groups shutting down the Usenet access, this is a good alternative for now, Nova BBS web based portal for Usenet:

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=rec.music.dylan

Please enjoy..!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)