• Re: SPANISH IS THE LOVING TONGUE QUESTIONS

From Larry Thomas@21:1/5 to Peter Stone Brown on Fri Sep 29 18:01:20 2023
    On Wednesday, January 8, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Peter Stone Brown wrote:
    Rev. Jennings wrote:

Jeff wrote:

Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 12:53:07 -0500
    Subject: SPANISH IS THE LOVING TONGUE QUESTIONS

<snip>

so here in the U.S., we have two choices for Spanish Is The Loving Tongue,
    the version on Masterpieces which is an Australian important, and the >version on Dylan (A Fool Such As I), an Austrian import.

There are other choices besides what Sony officially releases. For example a
    version on tape of this song performed live in San Antonio May 11, 1976 has
    been mentioned on this group previously. Dundas' Tangled Up In Tapes reports
    several other live performances. On bootleg CD you can find this song on "The
    Genuine Basement Tapes Vol 5" and "The Genuine Bootleg Series Take 2". The
    latter is reported to be the same take as on Masterpieces but now in stereo
    with slightly different instrumentation.

<snip>

Anyway On Dylan, the song is listed as traditional. On Masterpiecs, it's by
    Bob Dylan. On Highway 61 Interactive, it's listed as by Bob Dylan, and the
    lyrics do appear.

Does anybody know why these misconeptions about this song's authorship. It
    certainly does not reflect the typical Dylan writing style, although it might
    be better spanish than used in Romance In Durango. Is it really his song or
    not?

Spanish is the Loving Tongue is listed in Dundas' Tangled Up in Tapes as by
    Clark-Williams. Krogsgaard's Positively Bob Dylan lists Clark. Heylin's Recording Sessions lists it as a cover. Tim Dunn's The Bob Dylan Copyright
    Files lists Bob with a copyright application of a new musical arrangement and
    something about public domain.

The other question, is why are there two different versions? Where they >recorded at two different sessions. The masterpiece version just has piano,
    and lacks the sweetness typical of Nashville Syline and Self Portrait? Are
    they both outakes from Self Portrait?

I prefer the Masterpieces version, but it's nice to finally have Dylan (A
    fool Such As I) on C.D. Also, was the Dylan version recorded live in the >studio, or were all the background singers, and guitar overdubbed? Does
    Dylan just sing on both tracks, or does he play an instrument?

Heylin lists the version appearing on "Dylan" with an April 1969 recording
    date and lists it as from the Self Portrait Sessions. According to Heylin the
    "Masterpieces" version is from June 2 1970 with instruments added July 2 1970
    and released first as a single and is listed as from the New Morning Sessions.

EDLIS Boot Advisory Agent
    I have it on the B side of "Watching the River Flow" a single I bought
    when it was first released - too long ago for me to remember the year.
    Is this the July 2, 1970 recording you mention?
    The July 2 1970 would be the one that's the flip of "Watching" and also
    it's the one on Masterpieces--just Dylan on piano. The one on Dylan was obviously recorded in Nashville during Self Portrait sessions.
    The songs is an old song, not Dylan's and the Charles Badger Clark thing
    is accurate. It was recorded by the balladeer Richard Dyer Bennett long before anyone heard of Dylan, in fact long before Dylan probably knew he
    was gonna be Dylan. :-) Ian & Sylvia recorded it also. It's a good possibility Dylan learned it from them.
    PSB
    The best version I've heard of this song is done by The Great Western Orchestra from Alberta, Canada, if you can find it, on there GWO CD. I haven't been able to even find any connection between GWO and the song other than in an image of the CMO CD. I
    had it on cassette tape years ago. I think it came out in 1989 or there abouts. It was written as a poem by a Cowboy Poet Charles Badger Clark in 1907 and music put to it by Billy Simon in 1925, according to Wikipedia. It's been cover numerous times.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)