• so sad....btw, i tuned in on the post just before it was announced, the

From roach@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 14 15:46:44 2023
    about olof.

i didn't know him, but his work and contribution for the dylan community was invaluable. i went there to his site so many times, with dire questions pertaining to my mental health, quite frankly, and he was about to soothe me, and quell my anxieties as
    to what exactly has been happening to me since i got involved and was nearly irreparably drawn in, not knowing as to whether this was healthy for me or not, if i was truly cared about and being dealt with decently,. or if it was some sick men's club
    where women were mistreated, used, and abused, and his work provided me some much needed support the many times that i went there.

i am only sorry it is too late for him to know this now, maybe he could already tell from monitoring the site, but hopefully his family and friends can see, and maybe this will be some small additional comfort to them along with all the very many well
    wishes and tales from the ER site, as well.

thank you olof.

see you soon again one day, and next time, "Forever."...

Love,
    Rachel/"Jolene," bob's special friend, i think?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From roach@21:1/5 to roach on Thu Sep 14 16:53:54 2023
    On Thursday, September 14, 2023 at 3:46:47 PM UTC-7, roach wrote:
    about olof.

i didn't know him, but his work and contribution for the dylan community was invaluable. i went there to his site so many times, with dire questions pertaining to my mental health, quite frankly, and he was about to soothe me, and quell my anxieties as
    to what exactly has been happening to me since i got involved and was nearly irreparably drawn in, not knowing as to whether this was healthy for me or not, if i was truly cared about and being dealt with decently,. or if it was some sick men's club
    where women were mistreated, used, and abused, and his work provided me some much needed support the many times that i went there.

i am only sorry it is too late for him to know this now, maybe he could already tell from monitoring the site, but hopefully his family and friends can see, and maybe this will be some small additional comfort to them along with all the very many well

thank you olof.

Love,

sorry, i think there is a confusing brain typo in there, i wrote "about to soothe me," and i think i meant to write, "able to soothe me," etc....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Pyle@21:1/5 to roach on Fri Sep 15 09:40:54 2023
    On Thursday, September 14, 2023 at 7:54:00 PM UTC-4, roach wrote:
    about olof.

i didn't know him, but his work and contribution for the dylan community was invaluable. i went there to his site so many times,

Yes, so very sad. I used his sites so many times in the early days of understanding Bob. His work was incredible. He won't be matched.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Dockery@21:1/5 to roach on Sat Sep 16 03:00:31 2023
    On Thursday, September 14, 2023 at 6:46:47 PM UTC-4, roach wrote:

about olof.

thank you olof.

Love,

I remember Olaf, his site remains tremendous:

http://www.bjorner.com/bob.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From roach@21:1/5 to Will Dockery on Sat Sep 16 12:17:40 2023
    On Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 3:00:33 AM UTC-7, Will Dockery wrote:

about olof.

i didn't know him, but his work and contribution for the dylan community was invaluable. i went there to his site so many times, with dire questions pertaining to my mental health, quite frankly, and he was about to soothe me, and quell my anxieties
    as to what exactly has been happening to me since i got involved and was nearly irreparably drawn in, not knowing as to whether this was healthy for me or not, if i was truly cared about and being dealt with decently,. or if it was some sick men's club

i am only sorry it is too late for him to know this now, maybe he could already tell from monitoring the site, but hopefully his family and friends can see, and maybe this will be some small additional comfort to them along with all the very many
    well wishes and tales from the ER site, as well.

thank you olof.

Love,

he's got an entry in wikipedia. nice. :-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Willie@21:1/5 to roach on Sun Sep 17 11:38:26 2023
    On Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 3:17:42 PM UTC-4, roach wrote:
    On Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 3:00:33 AM UTC-7, Will Dockery wrote:

about olof.

i didn't know him, but his work and contribution for the dylan community was invaluable. i went there to his site so many times, with dire questions pertaining to my mental health, quite frankly, and he was about to soothe me, and quell my
    anxieties as to what exactly has been happening to me since i got involved and was nearly irreparably drawn in, not knowing as to whether this was healthy for me or not, if i was truly cared about and being dealt with decently,. or if it was some sick
    men's club where women were mistreated, used, and abused, and his work provided me some much needed support the many times that i went there.

i am only sorry it is too late for him to know this now, maybe he could already tell from monitoring the site, but hopefully his family and friends can see, and maybe this will be some small additional comfort to them along with all the very many
    well wishes and tales from the ER site, as well.

thank you olof.

Love,

he's got an entry in wikipedia. nice. :-)
    Eyolf Østrem, on his Dylanology site (https://dylanology.substack.com/p/olof-bjorner-19422023), posted the following thoughts on Olof:

"Olof Björner (1942–2023)
    The Tireless Chronicler in memoriam

EYOLF ØSTREM
    SEP 13, 2023

One of the great men in the Dylan world has passed away.

Casual fans may not have been fully aware of his work and the impact it has had, but I think it’s fair to say that without Olof Björner, the little section of the Internet which is devoted to Bob Dylan, would have looked quite different.

It’s strange with the Internet and all the people there: I’ve known Olof since the beginning of time, but I only met him once or twice, even though we lived in the same country for many years.

“Since the beginning of time” here of course means “since c. 1996”. That’s when I got on the Internet. A little later, I started Dylanchords, and it was at about that time that somebody secretly gave me the address to this hidden treasure, a
    Pandora’s box of Dylan knowledge: bjorner.com.

As I remember it, initially only the Yearly Chronicles were open to the public; the rest of the site, the Still on the Road section, with the full details of every recording session and concert, was a members-only resource for the Stockholm Dylan Society.
    In any case, that day, when I got the secret link, I was in heaven. I printed out every one of the Yearly Chronicles and read them religiously, studied the setlist statistics with almost obscene delight, and – most importantly – vacuumed the files
    for references to obscure songs that I could include on Dylanchords. My fate was sealed.

When eventually I decided to take Dylanchords from a hobby effort to a serious undertaking, it was thanks to Björner, in two ways.

First, the encyclopedic scope. If he could do it, so could I. I decided to be as meticulous as I could with details right from the start, even though it seemed silly at first.

Secondly, the details themselves. Recording dates. Band members. Tour legs. The complete list of songs. The meticulous details with regard to arrangements. The transcriptions of the Bob talk. All of this I have used extensively. Some of it I admit to
    having used without credits, but I excuse myself with the fact that it is so obvious where the information comes from. Quoting from «Olof’s Files» is like quoting from the Bible: no reference is needed.

So for all the hours I’ve spent on bjorner.com through the years: thank you, Olof!"

I hope Olof knew how many of us consulted his Chronicles often.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05