• Re: Interview with Barry Goldberg

From Will Dockery@21:1/5 to Patricia Jungwirth on Wed Aug 30 00:01:39 2023
    On Sunday, February 26, 2006 at 11:46:15 PM UTC-5, Patricia Jungwirth wrote:

found this interesting piece today, don't know how long it's been online, hadn't read it before and thought some might be interested.
    Bloomfield Notes - Number 6 (Fall 1996)
    Interview with Barry Goldberg
    [excerpt]
    Bn: You backed up Bob Dylan when he played at The Newport Folk Festival in 1965.
    BG: I got to play with Bob quite by accident. I had come out to
    play with Butterfield, because Michael and Paul had invited me to come and play with the band. I was their first keyboard player. I would sit in with them all the time.
    When I got to Newport the producer, Paul Rothchild, was really
    obstinate and rude, and said, "Absolutely no organ." He didn't want that element, he just wanted the five pieces. Paul and Michael tried to talk to him but he was just really against it.
    So I had nowhere to go. I was stuck there, a long way from
    Chicago. One night we were just sitting around and Bob showed up and said, "The keyboard player isn't here yet," and Michael said, "There's a great keyboard player here in Barry," and Bob said, "You want to come to the
    sound check?" and I said, "Sure," and that's how I got to do it, and it worked out great. And then we went on that night. Michael just went nuts,
    he just rammed it right down their throats. He loved those kind of things. Bn: What did you think about Dylan's decision to go electric at
    the festival?
    BG: I thought it was an amazingly brave and bold move. Before he
    played, there were fistfights between Alan Lomax and Albert Grossman, which was a really ugly scene. Albert really believed in this -- that we were
    gonna plug in no matter what. The time had come. I don't know if he was a visionary, but this was it. Butterfield and Dylan plugging in. And the old folk crowd, the old guard, was standing fast. They felt so threatened, that
    a new thing was happening -- out with the old and in with the new.
    But it was more about a new frontier of music called folk-rock.
    And electric blues was happening. And so many people got turned on by it.
    But unfortunately the majority of the crowd there were die-hard folkies,
    who didn't want to accept this no matter what. And they wanted to make
    their presence known and make a statement.
    So a lot of people booed, but I remember a lot of people
    cheering, too. It was probably 60 percent booing and 40 percent cheering. I don't remember everybody booing, I just remember Michael counting it off
    and saying, "Let's go!" and it was like POW!! -- we went into this
    whirlwind. Mike turned his amp up so loud, he turned it up to nine, just to infuriate people even more. Bob was like this warrior. We were all on this mission.
    Bn: Full speed ahead.
    BG: Exactly, and that's it. Don't look back, actually.
    Bn: You still have a good friendship with Dylan.
    BG: A very good friendship. I used him on a soundtrack. We did a
    version of "People Get Ready," for a movie called Flashback, with Dennis Hopper and Kiefer Sutherland. Bob sang that and I produced it. So we still talk a lot.
    Bn: It seems like Dylan was quite an admirer of Mike.
    BG: Oh God, yes. He thought he was the greatest guitar player of
    all.
    http://www.bluespower.com/arbn06.htm

Barry Goldberg, can't remember anything about the album, looking forward to playing it when I get access to a turntable.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Willie@21:1/5 to Will Dockery on Sun Sep 3 13:11:28 2023
    On Wednesday, August 30, 2023 at 3:01:43 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
    On Sunday, February 26, 2006 at 11:46:15 PM UTC-5, Patricia Jungwirth wrote:

found this interesting piece today, don't know how long it's been online, hadn't read it before and thought some might be interested.
    Bloomfield Notes - Number 6 (Fall 1996)
    Interview with Barry Goldberg
    [excerpt]
    Bn: You backed up Bob Dylan when he played at The Newport Folk Festival in 1965.
    BG: I got to play with Bob quite by accident. I had come out to
    play with Butterfield, because Michael and Paul had invited me to come and play with the band. I was their first keyboard player. I would sit in with them all the time.
    When I got to Newport the producer, Paul Rothchild, was really
    obstinate and rude, and said, "Absolutely no organ." He didn't want that element, he just wanted the five pieces. Paul and Michael tried to talk to him but he was just really against it.
    So I had nowhere to go. I was stuck there, a long way from
    Chicago. One night we were just sitting around and Bob showed up and said, "The keyboard player isn't here yet," and Michael said, "There's a great keyboard player here in Barry," and Bob said, "You want to come to the sound check?" and I said, "Sure," and that's how I got to do it, and it worked out great. And then we went on that night. Michael just went nuts, he just rammed it right down their throats. He loved those kind of things. Bn: What did you think about Dylan's decision to go electric at
    the festival?
    BG: I thought it was an amazingly brave and bold move. Before he
    played, there were fistfights between Alan Lomax and Albert Grossman, which
    was a really ugly scene. Albert really believed in this -- that we were gonna plug in no matter what. The time had come. I don't know if he was a visionary, but this was it. Butterfield and Dylan plugging in. And the old folk crowd, the old guard, was standing fast. They felt so threatened, that
    a new thing was happening -- out with the old and in with the new.
    But it was more about a new frontier of music called folk-rock.
    And electric blues was happening. And so many people got turned on by it. But unfortunately the majority of the crowd there were die-hard folkies, who didn't want to accept this no matter what. And they wanted to make their presence known and make a statement.
    So a lot of people booed, but I remember a lot of people
    cheering, too. It was probably 60 percent booing and 40 percent cheering. I
    don't remember everybody booing, I just remember Michael counting it off and saying, "Let's go!" and it was like POW!! -- we went into this whirlwind. Mike turned his amp up so loud, he turned it up to nine, just to
    infuriate people even more. Bob was like this warrior. We were all on this mission.
    Bn: Full speed ahead.
    BG: Exactly, and that's it. Don't look back, actually.
    Bn: You still have a good friendship with Dylan.
    BG: A very good friendship. I used him on a soundtrack. We did a
    version of "People Get Ready," for a movie called Flashback, with Dennis Hopper and Kiefer Sutherland. Bob sang that and I produced it. So we still talk a lot.
    Bn: It seems like Dylan was quite an admirer of Mike.
    BG: Oh God, yes. He thought he was the greatest guitar player of
    all.
    http://www.bluespower.com/arbn06.htm
    Barry Goldberg, can't remember anything about the album, looking forward to playing it when I get access to a turntable.

Never heard about this. It's pretty nice: https://open.spotify.com/album/0MdAvLMrTjF9ieXYgnkCXM

Lots of mid-60's Bob influence (I guess it was recorded/released in 1974).

Wikipedia tells us that "Goldberg is a nephew of Supreme Court Justice Arthur Goldberg."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)