• Dylan sleevenotes for Dion releases

From Christopher Rollason@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 25 02:03:17 2021
    Dylan has twice contributed to sleevenotes for releases by Dion (Di Mucci). The most recent is for an album called Blues With Friends released in 2020. Before that was a box set called King of the New York Streets which came out in 2000.

I have located Dylan's 2020 notes but not those from 2000. Does anyone have them? If you do could you post them on the group?

Thanks in advance!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Will Dockery@21:1/5 to Christopher Rollason on Fri Aug 27 18:23:51 2021
    On Wednesday, August 25, 2021 at 5:03:19 AM UTC-4, Christopher Rollason wrote:
    Dylan has twice contributed to sleevenotes for releases by Dion (Di Mucci). The most recent is for an album called Blues With Friends released in 2020. Before that was a box set called King of the New York Streets which came out in 2000.

I have located Dylan's 2020 notes but not those from 2000. Does anyone have them? If you do could you post them on the group?

Thanks in advance!

I didn't know about this, will keep an eye out.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rachel@21:1/5 to K. Hematite on Sat Aug 28 12:49:16 2021
    On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 12:33:54 PM UTC-7, K. Hematite wrote:
    On Wednesday, 25 August 2021 at 05:03:19 UTC-4, Christopher Rollason wrote:

Thanks in advance!
    "King of the New York Streets" is a 3-CD box tracing Dion's musical history. Liner notes are found in s 48-page booklet, most of which consists of David Marsh's comments about Dion's life in the Bronx and beyond and about the various influences on his
    music. Page 33 is given over to Dylan's one-page comment on Dion and it goes like this:

"The voice of Dion came exploding out of what Allen Ginsberg called 'the hydrogen jukebox" in the fifties -- the hush hush age. Torn right from the start, he had it magically together in the mythic sense -- level-headed and trustworthy, rhythmically
    there's no mayhem -- just a sense of wonder. In his voice he tells the untold story in the seemingly secret language. How else do you explain the soulfulness of 'Teenager in Love'? An unknowing ear would say it's a song about youthful claptrap but it's
    not, not anymore than Tampa Red's 'Let Me Play With Your Poodle' is not about dogs. You can hear it in his haunted voice -- street corner hokum sure, but also barrelhouse blues, the honky-tonk world -- even the most sophisticated crooner in the
    articulate way -- it's all there to put a spell on you. I saw Dion way back there when he followed Ritchie Valens and preceded Link Wray and the Wraymen. Ritchie could pitch you over the fence and Link made you feel like you wanted to take a grotesque
    despotic world and hang it with barbed wire, but Dion was no less brilliant -- his level was cool-headed, made you feel longing, excited and entranced. 'Ruby Baby' is severe, round the clock -- listen you'll see. Satire, cunning, fidelity, it's all there
    in spades. Great singers pass by us like a parade of nobility. There's just something about them that rises above superficial culture. Dion comes from a time when so-so singers couldn't cut it -- they either never got heard or got exposed quick and got
    out of the way. To have it, you really had to have it, no smoke and mirrors then -- not a minute to spare --rough and ready -- glorious and grand -- grieving with heartache and feeling too much but still with the always 'better not try it' attitude. If
    you want to hear a great singer, listen to Dion. His voice takes it's [sic] color from all pallets-- he's never lost it -- his genius has never deserted him."

is there a reason the word pallet was chosen, over pallete ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From K. Hematite@21:1/5 to Rachel on Sat Aug 28 13:07:03 2021
    On Saturday, 28 August 2021 at 15:49:18 UTC-4, Rachel wrote:

Thanks in advance!
    "King of the New York Streets" is a 3-CD box tracing Dion's musical history. Liner notes are found in s 48-page booklet, most of which consists of David Marsh's comments about Dion's life in the Bronx and beyond and about the various influences on
    his music. Page 33 is given over to Dylan's one-page comment on Dion and it goes like this:

"The voice of Dion came exploding out of what Allen Ginsberg called 'the hydrogen jukebox" in the fifties -- the hush hush age. Torn right from the start, he had it magically together in the mythic sense -- level-headed and trustworthy, rhythmically
    there's no mayhem -- just a sense of wonder. In his voice he tells the untold story in the seemingly secret language. How else do you explain the soulfulness of 'Teenager in Love'? An unknowing ear would say it's a song about youthful claptrap but it's
    not, not anymore than Tampa Red's 'Let Me Play With Your Poodle' is not about dogs. You can hear it in his haunted voice -- street corner hokum sure, but also barrelhouse blues, the honky-tonk world -- even the most sophisticated crooner in the
    articulate way -- it's all there to put a spell on you. I saw Dion way back there when he followed Ritchie Valens and preceded Link Wray and the Wraymen. Ritchie could pitch you over the fence and Link made you feel like you wanted to take a grotesque
    despotic world and hang it with barbed wire, but Dion was no less brilliant -- his level was cool-headed, made you feel longing, excited and entranced. 'Ruby Baby' is severe, round the clock -- listen you'll see. Satire, cunning, fidelity, it's all there
    in spades. Great singers pass by us like a parade of nobility. There's just something about them that rises above superficial culture. Dion comes from a time when so-so singers couldn't cut it -- they either never got heard or got exposed quick and got
    out of the way. To have it, you really had to have it, no smoke and mirrors then -- not a minute to spare --rough and ready -- glorious and grand -- grieving with heartache and feeling too much but still with the always 'better not try it' attitude. If
    you want to hear a great singer, listen to Dion. His voice takes it's [sic] color from all pallets-- he's never lost it -- his genius has never deserted him."

My pathetic excuse is pure carelessness. I didn't even notice that the word had been misspelled and therefore required an appropriate [sic]. Dylan's excuse may be that he used to be a folksinger and had "Make Me a Pallet on Your Floor" going through
    his head when he wrote the comment on Dion.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From K. Hematite@21:1/5 to Christopher Rollason on Sat Aug 28 12:33:53 2021

Thanks in advance!

"King of the New York Streets" is a 3-CD box tracing Dion's musical history. Liner notes are found in s 48-page booklet, most of which consists of David Marsh's comments about Dion's life in the Bronx and beyond and about the various influences on his
    music. Page 33 is given over to Dylan's one-page comment on Dion and it goes like this:

there's no mayhem -- just a sense of wonder. In his voice he tells the untold story in the seemingly secret language. How else do you explain the soulfulness of 'Teenager in Love'? An unknowing ear would say it's a song about youthful claptrap but it'
    s not, not anymore than Tampa Red's 'Let Me Play With Your Poodle' is not about dogs. You can hear it in his haunted voice -- street corner hokum sure, but also barrelhouse blues, the honky-tonk world -- even the most sophisticated crooner in the
    despotic world and hang it with barbed wire, but Dion was no less brilliant -- his level was cool-headed, made you feel longing, excited and entranced. 'Ruby Baby' is severe, round the clock -- listen you'll see. Satire, cunning, fidelity, it's all
    there in spades. Great singers pass by us like a parade of nobility. There's just something about them that rises above superficial culture. Dion comes from a time when so-so singers couldn't cut it -- they either never got heard or got exposed quick
    and got out of the way. To have it, you really had to have it, no smoke and mirrors then -- not a minute to spare --rough and ready -- glorious and grand -- grieving with heartache and feeling too much but still with the always 'better not try it'
    attitude. If you want to hear a great singer, listen to Dion. His voice takes it's [sic] color from all pallets-- he's never lost it -- his genius has never deserted him."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rachel@21:1/5 to Rachel on Sat Aug 28 13:20:54 2021
    On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 1:19:51 PM UTC-7, Rachel wrote:
    On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 1:07:05 PM UTC-7, K. Hematite wrote:

Thanks in advance!
    "King of the New York Streets" is a 3-CD box tracing Dion's musical history. Liner notes are found in s 48-page booklet, most of which consists of David Marsh's comments about Dion's life in the Bronx and beyond and about the various influences
    on his music. Page 33 is given over to Dylan's one-page comment on Dion and it goes like this:

"The voice of Dion came exploding out of what Allen Ginsberg called 'the hydrogen jukebox" in the fifties -- the hush hush age. Torn right from the start, he had it magically together in the mythic sense -- level-headed and trustworthy,
    rhythmically there's no mayhem -- just a sense of wonder. In his voice he tells the untold story in the seemingly secret language. How else do you explain the soulfulness of 'Teenager in Love'? An unknowing ear would say it's a song about youthful
    claptrap but it's not, not anymore than Tampa Red's 'Let Me Play With Your Poodle' is not about dogs. You can hear it in his haunted voice -- street corner hokum sure, but also barrelhouse blues, the honky-tonk world -- even the most sophisticated
    crooner in the articulate way -- it's all there to put a spell on you. I saw Dion way back there when he followed Ritchie Valens and preceded Link Wray and the Wraymen. Ritchie could pitch you over the fence and Link made you feel like you wanted to take
    a grotesque despotic world and hang it with barbed wire, but Dion was no less brilliant -- his level was cool-headed, made you feel longing, excited and entranced. 'Ruby Baby' is severe, round the clock -- listen you'll see. Satire, cunning, fidelity, it'
    s all there in spades. Great singers pass by us like a parade of nobility. There's just something about them that rises above superficial culture. Dion comes from a time when so-so singers couldn't cut it -- they either never got heard or got exposed
    quick and got out of the way. To have it, you really had to have it, no smoke and mirrors then -- not a minute to spare --rough and ready -- glorious and grand -- grieving with heartache and feeling too much but still with the always 'better not try it'
    attitude. If you want to hear a great singer, listen to Dion. His voice takes it's [sic] color from all pallets-- he's never lost it -- his genius has never deserted him."

My pathetic excuse is pure carelessness. I didn't even notice that the word had been misspelled and therefore required an appropriate [sic]. Dylan's excuse may be that he used to be a folksinger and had "Make Me a Pallet on Your Floor" going through
    but that's about a bed (i googled the lyrics)

i guess it's the LLL influence, all the colors bleeding into one, like mordant.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rachel@21:1/5 to Rachel on Sat Aug 28 13:23:15 2021
    On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 1:21:50 PM UTC-7, Rachel wrote:
    On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 1:20:56 PM UTC-7, Rachel wrote:

Thanks in advance!
    "King of the New York Streets" is a 3-CD box tracing Dion's musical history. Liner notes are found in s 48-page booklet, most of which consists of David Marsh's comments about Dion's life in the Bronx and beyond and about the various
    influences on his music. Page 33 is given over to Dylan's one-page comment on Dion and it goes like this:

"The voice of Dion came exploding out of what Allen Ginsberg called 'the hydrogen jukebox" in the fifties -- the hush hush age. Torn right from the start, he had it magically together in the mythic sense -- level-headed and trustworthy,
    rhythmically there's no mayhem -- just a sense of wonder. In his voice he tells the untold story in the seemingly secret language. How else do you explain the soulfulness of 'Teenager in Love'? An unknowing ear would say it's a song about youthful
    claptrap but it's not, not anymore than Tampa Red's 'Let Me Play With Your Poodle' is not about dogs. You can hear it in his haunted voice -- street corner hokum sure, but also barrelhouse blues, the honky-tonk world -- even the most sophisticated
    crooner in the articulate way -- it's all there to put a spell on you. I saw Dion way back there when he followed Ritchie Valens and preceded Link Wray and the Wraymen. Ritchie could pitch you over the fence and Link made you feel like you wanted to take
    a grotesque despotic world and hang it with barbed wire, but Dion was no less brilliant -- his level was cool-headed, made you feel longing, excited and entranced. 'Ruby Baby' is severe, round the clock -- listen you'll see. Satire, cunning, fidelity, it'
    s all there in spades. Great singers pass by us like a parade of nobility. There's just something about them that rises above superficial culture. Dion comes from a time when so-so singers couldn't cut it -- they either never got heard or got exposed
    quick and got out of the way. To have it, you really had to have it, no smoke and mirrors then -- not a minute to spare --rough and ready -- glorious and grand -- grieving with heartache and feeling too much but still with the always 'better not try it'

My pathetic excuse is pure carelessness. I didn't even notice that the word had been misspelled and therefore required an appropriate [sic]. Dylan's excuse may be that he used to be a folksinger and had "Make Me a Pallet on Your Floor" going
    through his head when he wrote the comment on Dion.
    the idiot wind, what's good is bad, what's bad is good, clash of the titans... (horrible movie)

i painted it all black. (got stoned and passed out in the middle, it was song #3 after wwrf and ahragf (always think it's called where have you been, my blue eyed son....)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rachel@21:1/5 to K. Hematite on Sat Aug 28 13:19:50 2021

Thanks in advance!
    "King of the New York Streets" is a 3-CD box tracing Dion's musical history. Liner notes are found in s 48-page booklet, most of which consists of David Marsh's comments about Dion's life in the Bronx and beyond and about the various influences on
    his music. Page 33 is given over to Dylan's one-page comment on Dion and it goes like this:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rachel@21:1/5 to Rachel on Sat Aug 28 13:21:49 2021
    On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 1:20:56 PM UTC-7, Rachel wrote:

Thanks in advance!
    "King of the New York Streets" is a 3-CD box tracing Dion's musical history. Liner notes are found in s 48-page booklet, most of which consists of David Marsh's comments about Dion's life in the Bronx and beyond and about the various influences
    on his music. Page 33 is given over to Dylan's one-page comment on Dion and it goes like this:

My pathetic excuse is pure carelessness. I didn't even notice that the word had been misspelled and therefore required an appropriate [sic]. Dylan's excuse may be that he used to be a folksinger and had "Make Me a Pallet on Your Floor" going

the idiot wind, what's good is bad, what's bad is good, clash of the titans... (horrible movie)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zod@21:1/5 to Rachel on Sat Aug 28 13:53:45 2021

Thanks in advance!
    "King of the New York Streets" is a 3-CD box tracing Dion's musical history. Liner notes are found in s 48-page booklet, most of which consists of David Marsh's comments about Dion's life in the Bronx and beyond and about the various
    influences on his music. Page 33 is given over to Dylan's one-page comment on Dion and it goes like this:

i painted it all black. (got stoned and passed out in the middle, it was song #3 after wwrf and ahragf (always think it's called where have you been, my blue eyed son....)

Hi there Rachel...!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rachel@21:1/5 to Zod on Sat Aug 28 13:59:10 2021
    On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 1:53:47 PM UTC-7, Zod wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Hi there Rachel...!!

bonjour. what are you doing in the dylan group?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zod@21:1/5 to Rachel on Sat Aug 28 14:11:33 2021
    On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 4:59:12 PM UTC-4, Rachel wrote:

Dylan has twice contributed to sleevenotes for releases by Dion (Di Mucci). The most recent is for an album called Blues With Friends released in 2020. Before that was a box set called King of the New York Streets which came out in

Thanks in advance!

My pathetic excuse is pure carelessness. I didn't even notice that the word had been misspelled and therefore required an appropriate [sic]. Dylan's excuse may be that he used to be a folksinger and had "Make Me a Pallet on Your Floor"
    going through his head when he wrote the comment on Dion.
    Hi there Rachel...!!

Ummmm... looking for you...?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rachel@21:1/5 to Zod on Sat Aug 28 14:12:55 2021
    On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 2:11:34 PM UTC-7, Zod wrote:
    On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 4:59:12 PM UTC-4, Rachel wrote:

Dylan has twice contributed to sleevenotes for releases by Dion (Di Mucci). The most recent is for an album called Blues With Friends released in 2020. Before that was a box set called King of the New York Streets which came out in

Thanks in advance!

"The voice of Dion came exploding out of what Allen Ginsberg called 'the hydrogen jukebox" in the fifties -- the hush hush age. Torn right from the start, he had it magically together in the mythic sense -- level-headed and
    trustworthy, rhythmically there's no mayhem -- just a sense of wonder. In his voice he tells the untold story in the seemingly secret language. How else do you explain the soulfulness of 'Teenager in Love'? An unknowing ear would say it's a song about
    youthful claptrap but it's not, not anymore than Tampa Red's 'Let Me Play With Your Poodle' is not about dogs. You can hear it in his haunted voice -- street corner hokum sure, but also barrelhouse blues, the honky-tonk world -- even the most
    sophisticated crooner in the articulate way -- it's all there to put a spell on you. I saw Dion way back there when he followed Ritchie Valens and preceded Link Wray and the Wraymen. Ritchie could pitch you over the fence and Link made you feel like you
    wanted to take a grotesque despotic world and hang it with barbed wire, but Dion was no less brilliant -- his level was cool-headed, made you feel longing, excited and entranced. 'Ruby Baby' is severe, round the clock -- listen you'll see. Satire,
    cunning, fidelity, it's all there in spades. Great singers pass by us like a parade of nobility. There's just something about them that rises above superficial culture. Dion comes from a time when so-so singers couldn't cut it -- they either never got
    heard or got exposed quick and got out of the way. To have it, you really had to have it, no smoke and mirrors then -- not a minute to spare --rough and ready -- glorious and grand -- grieving with heartache and feeling too much but still with the always
    'better not try it' attitude. If you want to hear a great singer, listen to Dion. His voice takes it's [sic] color from all pallets-- he's never lost it -- his genius has never deserted him."

My pathetic excuse is pure carelessness. I didn't even notice that the word had been misspelled and therefore required an appropriate [sic]. Dylan's excuse may be that he used to be a folksinger and had "Make Me a Pallet on Your Floor"
    Hi there Rachel...!!

what's your name?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Christopher Rollason@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 29 05:18:49 2021
    Le samedi 28 août 2021 à 20:49:18 UTC+1, Rachel a écrit :

Thanks in advance!

Thanks very much for posting this - much appreciated!
    CR

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zod@21:1/5 to Rachel on Wed Sep 15 14:11:08 2021
    On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 5:12:56 PM UTC-4, Rachel wrote:
    On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 2:11:34 PM UTC-7, Zod wrote:

Dylan has twice contributed to sleevenotes for releases by Dion (Di Mucci). The most recent is for an album called Blues With Friends released in 2020. Before that was a box set called King of the New York Streets which came out
    in 2000.

Thanks in advance!
    "King of the New York Streets" is a 3-CD box tracing Dion's musical history. Liner notes are found in s 48-page booklet, most of which consists of David Marsh's comments about Dion's life in the Bronx and beyond and about the
    various influences on his music. Page 33 is given over to Dylan's one-page comment on Dion and it goes like this:

"The voice of Dion came exploding out of what Allen Ginsberg called 'the hydrogen jukebox" in the fifties -- the hush hush age. Torn right from the start, he had it magically together in the mythic sense -- level-headed and
    trustworthy, rhythmically there's no mayhem -- just a sense of wonder. In his voice he tells the untold story in the seemingly secret language. How else do you explain the soulfulness of 'Teenager in Love'? An unknowing ear would say it's a song about
    youthful claptrap but it's not, not anymore than Tampa Red's 'Let Me Play With Your Poodle' is not about dogs. You can hear it in his haunted voice -- street corner hokum sure, but also barrelhouse blues, the honky-tonk world -- even the most
    sophisticated crooner in the articulate way -- it's all there to put a spell on you. I saw Dion way back there when he followed Ritchie Valens and preceded Link Wray and the Wraymen. Ritchie could pitch you over the fence and Link made you feel like you
    wanted to take a grotesque despotic world and hang it with barbed wire, but Dion was no less brilliant -- his level was cool-headed, made you feel longing, excited and entranced. 'Ruby Baby' is severe, round the clock -- listen you'll see. Satire,
    cunning, fidelity, it's all there in spades. Great singers pass by us like a parade of nobility. There's just something about them that rises above superficial culture. Dion comes from a time when so-so singers couldn't cut it -- they either never got
    heard or got exposed quick and got out of the way. To have it, you really had to have it, no smoke and mirrors then -- not a minute to spare --rough and ready -- glorious and grand -- grieving with heartache and feeling too much but still with the always
    'better not try it' attitude. If you want to hear a great singer, listen to Dion. His voice takes it's [sic] color from all pallets-- he's never lost it -- his genius has never deserted him."

Hi there Rachel...!!
    what's your name?

I am Zod, the real one...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05