• =?UTF-8?B?Qm9iIER5bGFu4oCZcyDigJxJbWl0YXRpb+KAnSAocmUtcG9zdGVkIGZyb20gd

From Zod Zodly@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 19 12:48:40 2022

“Over the course of six decades, Bob Dylan steadily brought together popular music and poetic excellence. Yet the guardians of literary culture have only rarely accepted Dylan’s legitimacy.

His 2016 Nobel Prize in Literature undermined his outsider status, challenging scholars, fans and critics to think of Dylan as an integral part of international literary heritage. My new book, “No One to Meet: Imitation and Originality in the Songs of
    Bob Dylan,” takes this challenge seriously and places Dylan within a literary tradition that extends all the way back to the ancients.

I am a professor of early modern literature, with a special interest in the Renaissance. But I am also a longtime Dylan enthusiast and the co-editor of the open-access Dylan Review, the only scholarly journal on Bob Dylan.

After teaching and writing about early modern poetry for 30 years, I couldn’t help but recognize a similarity between the way Dylan composes his songs and the ancient practice known as “imitatio.”
    https://theconversation.com/how-bob-dylan-used-the-ancient-practice-of-imitatio-to-craft-some-of-the-most-original-songs-of-his-time-187052?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3TSZ9tCJOlwxfmrp_QB0DLasY45BLINt3pCBdQILewjajsKuXij9zwKJI#Echobox=

This was posted in the poetry group and I thought Bob Dylan scholars would appreciate seeing it...!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)