• Plans for Woodstock 50th Anniversary Concert announced

From marc.catone@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 9 19:54:14 2019
    Today, Michael Lang, the promoter of the Woodstock Music and Arts Festival in 1969 announced that Watkins Glen (where the Summer Jam of 1973 took place) will host the 50th anniversary Woodstock concert in August 2019. They expect 100,000, but that
    figure might be low. The concert will last three days.

https://www.syracuse.com/entertainment/2019/01/woodstock-2019-official-50th-anniversary-festival-to-be-held-at-watkins-glen.html?fbclid=IwAR3EguhV-4lShA4mIcqQOqKwPMWNRY28g9UbYoutt1hGQf2jVRSFMLn87WY

https://www.facebook.com/wenytv/videos/vb.337822014639/599450717159787/?type=2&theater

There also will be a 50th Anniversary celebration at the site of the original concert, now known as Bethel Woods (in Bethel NY, near Monticello and Liberty).

Details for both venues will be coming out in the months ahead.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Michael Black@21:1/5 to marc.catone@gmail.com on Thu Jan 10 14:19:44 2019
    On Wed, 9 Jan 2019, marc.catone@gmail.com wrote:

Today, Michael Lang, the promoter of the Woodstock Music and Arts Festival in 1969 announced that Watkins Glen (where the Summer Jam of 1973 took place) will host the 50th anniversary Woodstock concert in August 2019. They expect 100,000, but that

https://www.syracuse.com/entertainment/2019/01/woodstock-2019-official-50th-anniversary-festival-to-be-held-at-watkins-glen.html?fbclid=IwAR3EguhV-4lShA4mIcqQOqKwPMWNRY28g9UbYoutt1hGQf2jVRSFMLn87WY

https://www.facebook.com/wenytv/videos/vb.337822014639/599450717159787/?type=2&theater

There also will be a 50th Anniversary celebration at the site of the original concert, now known as Bethel Woods (in Bethel NY, near Monticello and Liberty).

But who's left to perform?

Joan Baez did her last tour last year. Arlo says this year will be the
    last tour. A lot of the original Woodstock performers died within a few
    years of the festival, Janis, Jimi, "Blind Owl", and Bear died some years later. Paul Butterfield is gone. I don't hear about Melanie these days.
    Tim Hardin is gone. Ten Years After took itself out of the last version
    of the movie release. Is The Who still performing? Fewer of them left.
    Paul Kantner's gone, so's Marty Balin. The remnants of the Grateful Dead
    might perform, but no Jerry Garcia.

Now it's people retiring, or dying of "old age".

They can load it down with current performers, but then it's just a chance
    for another concert, hoping to relive what happened fifty years ago but
    never able to get to that point.

Joan said "Live Aid" was that generation's Woodstock, and that's now over thirty years in the past.

Though the odd thing is, the kids today seem to be trying to replicate the past, without acknowledging that it all happened before. Back to the
    land, it's been done. Everyone can be vegan, without acknowledging it's
    been decades of vegetarianism that made it easy for the kids. Same with bicycles, I remember when I tried to get a bike path here, and that was 48 years ago, of course it's easy today, others did the work for the kids to
    be able to be enthusiastic.

Michael

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From marc.catone@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Michael Black on Thu Jan 10 12:40:37 2019
    On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 2:23:01 PM UTC-5, Michael Black wrote:
    On Wed, 9 Jan 2019, wrote:

last tour. A lot of the original Woodstock performers died within a few years of the festival, Janis, Jimi, "Blind Owl", and Bear died some years later. Paul Butterfield is gone. I don't hear about Melanie these days. Tim Hardin is gone. Ten Years After took itself out of the last version
    Paul Kantner's gone, so's Marty Balin. The remnants of the Grateful Dead might perform, but no Jerry Garcia.

They can load it down with current performers, but then it's just a chance for another concert, hoping to relive what happened fifty years ago but never able to get to that point.

Joan said "Live Aid" was that generation's Woodstock, and that's now over thirty years in the past.

Though the odd thing is, the kids today seem to be trying to replicate the past, without acknowledging that it all happened before. Back to the
    land, it's been done. Everyone can be vegan, without acknowledging it's been decades of vegetarianism that made it easy for the kids. Same with bicycles, I remember when I tried to get a bike path here, and that was 48 years ago, of course it's easy today, others did the work for the kids to

Michael

Line-up is supposed to be a blend of old and new. Off the top of my head, Arlo Guthrie and Santana and the Who and CSNY are still around.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From hector@21:1/5 to Michael Black on Fri Jan 11 13:01:55 2019
    On 11/01/2019 6:19 AM, Michael Black wrote:
    On Wed, 9 Jan 2019, marc.catone@gmail.com wrote:

Today, Michael Lang, the promoter of the Woodstock Music and Arts
    Festival in 1969 announced that Watkins Glen (where the Summer Jam of
    1973 took place) will host the 50th anniversary Woodstock concert in
    August 2019. They expect 100,000, but that figure might be low. The
    concert will last three days.

There also will be a 50th Anniversary celebration at the site of the
    original concert, now known as Bethel Woods (in Bethel NY, near
    Monticello and Liberty).

last tour. A lot of the original Woodstock performers died within a few years of the festival, Janis, Jimi, "Blind Owl", and Bear died some
    years later. Paul Butterfield is gone. I don't hear about Melanie
    these days. Tim Hardin is gone. Ten Years After took itself out of the
    last version of the movie release. Is The Who still performing? Fewer
    of them left.
    Paul Kantner's gone, so's Marty Balin. The remnants of the Grateful
    Dead might perform, but no Jerry Garcia.

They can load it down with current performers, but then it's just a
    chance for another concert, hoping to relive what happened fifty years
    ago but never able to get to that point.

Joan said "Live Aid" was that generation's Woodstock, and that's now
    over thirty years in the past.

Though the odd thing is, the kids today seem to be trying to replicate
    the past, without acknowledging that it all happened before. Back to
    the land, it's been done. Everyone can be vegan, without acknowledging
    it's been decades of vegetarianism that made it easy for the kids. Same
    with bicycles, I remember when I tried to get a bike path here, and that
    was 48 years ago, of course it's easy today, others did the work for the
    kids to be able to be enthusiastic.

Michael

I saw Melanie live in Australia within the past couple of years. She
    seems okay.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From hector@21:1/5 to marc.catone@gmail.com on Fri Jan 11 13:00:49 2019
    On 11/01/2019 7:40 AM, marc.catone@gmail.com wrote:
    On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 2:23:01 PM UTC-5, Michael Black wrote:
    On Wed, 9 Jan 2019, wrote:

last tour. A lot of the original Woodstock performers died within a few
    years of the festival, Janis, Jimi, "Blind Owl", and Bear died some years
    later. Paul Butterfield is gone. I don't hear about Melanie these days.
    Tim Hardin is gone. Ten Years After took itself out of the last version
    Paul Kantner's gone, so's Marty Balin. The remnants of the Grateful Dead
    might perform, but no Jerry Garcia.

They can load it down with current performers, but then it's just a chance >> for another concert, hoping to relive what happened fifty years ago but
    never able to get to that point.

Joan said "Live Aid" was that generation's Woodstock, and that's now over
    thirty years in the past.

Though the odd thing is, the kids today seem to be trying to replicate the >> past, without acknowledging that it all happened before. Back to the
    land, it's been done. Everyone can be vegan, without acknowledging it's
    been decades of vegetarianism that made it easy for the kids. Same with
    bicycles, I remember when I tried to get a bike path here, and that was 48 >> years ago, of course it's easy today, others did the work for the kids to

Michael

Line-up is supposed to be a blend of old and new. Off the top of my head, Arlo Guthrie and Santana and the Who and CSNY are still around.

Melanie is still around.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05