• Did Yusuf Guney Nazlioglu Get Away With Killing Biker Mike Hawi? Seems

From Greg Carr@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 10 14:51:07 2020
    Two Sydney men have been acquitted of the brazen daylight execution-style murder of former Comanchero bikie boss Mick Hawi.

Yusuf Guney Nazlioglu, 39, was accused of being the balaclava-clad gunman, while Jamal Eljaidi, 32, was said to be his getaway driver.

Mr Hawi was shot multiple times after after getting into his black Mercedes outside a Fitness First gym in Rockdale in February 2018.

After deliberating for almost five days, a NSW Supreme Court jury on Thursday found both men not guilty of murder.

A non-publication order has now been revoked on the fact that Ahmed Doudar, 40, previously pleaded guilty to being an accessory after the fact to murder.

He admitted moving one of the cars involved in the crime and will be sentenced on September 17.

Tow truck driver Moustafa Salamimi also faced the same charge, but prosecutors withdrew it in July.

CCTV from a camera across the road from the gym car park showed the gunman reach into Mr Hawi's car, fire the shots and then sprint to a waiting silver-grey Mercedes.

That car was torched minutes after the shooting, with the gunman and driver changing to a second getaway vehicle, a silver Toyota Aurion.

It was found in Rosebery a month later with a balaclava in a front seat footwell.

The Crown said DNA on one side of that balaclava matched the profile of Mr Nazlioglu, while it also contained gunshot residue .

His barrister noted no blood belonging to Mr Hawi was found on the balaclava.

DNA said to be consistent with Mr Eljaid's was found in that car, but his lawyer said he was a panel beater and his DNA could have been transferred if he worked on the vehicle in the past,.

He also contended his client was "far too tall" to be either of the two men caught fleeing the burning getaway car on CCTV footage after the murder, arguing at 199cm, he was "in NBA territory."

The Crown alleged Mr Nazlioglu was motivated to kill Mr Hawi after the formerly close friends fell out.

The pair had spent most days together in 2016 but the relationship soured during a fishing trip to the Central Coast in the summer of 2016/17.

Mr Hawi's widow Carolina Gonzalez testified he told her they had a disagreement.

"He said he did something that embarrassed me with someone ... I said 'OK I'm sure you'll get over it'.

"My husband was very forgiving."

Months later, Mr Hawi told his wife the friendship was "over" and that "he couldn't handle his behaviour anymore".

Nazlioglu's barrister told the jury others had a greater motive to kill Mr Hawi.

He became national president of the Comancheros at just 22 but relinquished the role in 2009 when he was jailed over the bashing death of Hell's Angels associate Anthony Zervas in a wild brawl at Sydney Airport.

Ms Gonzales testified she had been very close to her husband but he didn't tell her a lot of things.

"He was very protective of me," she told the jury.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/two-men-cleared-mick-hawis-murder-024510906--spt.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)