• Nitrogen gas for Shock = $30 to get rebuild filled - yikes!!!!!! Is

From stewart.a.storey@outlook.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 31 14:06:09 2020
    Air is same? Air increases in volume as it mooves nitrogen keeps same volume as temp increaces....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From sturd.virtec@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 1 10:19:29 2020
    stewart...@outlook.com contends:

Air is same? Air increases in volume as it mooves nitrogen keeps same volume as temp increaces....

Uhhh, no. Both air (78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen, 0.9% argon, traces of a bunch of other stuff) and pure nitrogen behave per Boyle's law - PV=nRT. That is, if the
    temperature increases, either the pressure or the volume also increase.

However, Nitrogen from a tank has no oxygen or water vapor, both of which react with metals and elastomers in your shock.

Go fast. Take chances.
    Mike S.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futility Man@21:1/5 to sturd.virtec@gmail.com on Tue Aug 4 08:56:27 2020
    On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 10:19:29 -0700 (PDT), sturd.virtec@gmail.com wrote:

Nitrogen from a tank has no oxygen or water vapor, both of which react with metals and elastomers in your shock.

And water vapor increases the expansion as it gets hot, making things worse.

I just rebuilt a Works Pro Racer shock that I've been running for over 20 years.
    Parts to rebuild it were dirt cheap online and the rebuild process was simple. It's just a seal, a few o-rings, and a rubber bladder that looks like an industrial condom. The eBay seller was out of California, was most helpful on the phone in making sure I got the right kit for my antique shock. I left feedback on his site saying that it fits the Pro Racer since his description didn't specifically mention it. Apparently most Works (and later Worx) shocks use one of two different kits, the only difference being the diameter of the shock rod. There are apparently two different sized bladders and luckily he stocked the one I needed.

The only thing I couldn't do for myself was the nitrogen because that requires a
    nitrogen tank, a regulator that will go up to 250 pounds, and a zero loss chuck assembly. None of that stuff is cheap and that's why they charge you $30 for that tiny puff of nitrogen.

Welding shops will have the nitrogen, usually, and they may even have the regulator, but they won't the zero-loss chuck. Tire shops that offer nitrogen for tires will have it all except the chuck. You can buy your own chuck for about $50 and then all you have to do is find someone who is willing to connect their nitrogen source to your regulator. Or you can pay $30 a shot from someone
    who has all the stuff. Buying a nitrogen cylinder to charge one or two shocks is the equivalent of buying a swimming pool to get a cup of water.

Whatever you do, DO NOT check your nitrogen pressure with a common tire gauge. The volume of nitrogen in most shocks is so tiny that checking it a time or two with a common gauge will let most of it out and if you weren't low before you checked, you will be after you do check.

I have a family member who builds off-road dune buggies and he had all the recharge stuff.
    --
    Futility Man

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From john@21:1/5 to Futility Man on Tue Aug 4 11:12:21 2020
    On 8/4/2020 8:56 AM, Futility Man wrote:

Nitrogen from a tank has no oxygen or water vapor, both of which react with metals and elastomers in your shock.

I just rebuilt a Works Pro Racer shock that I've been running for over 20 years.
    Parts to rebuild it were dirt cheap online and the rebuild process was simple.
    It's just a seal, a few o-rings, and a rubber bladder that looks like an industrial condom. The eBay seller was out of California, was most helpful on
    the phone in making sure I got the right kit for my antique shock. I left feedback on his site saying that it fits the Pro Racer since his description didn't specifically mention it. Apparently most Works (and later Worx) shocks
    use one of two different kits, the only difference being the diameter of the shock rod. There are apparently two different sized bladders and luckily he stocked the one I needed.

The only thing I couldn't do for myself was the nitrogen because that requires a
    nitrogen tank, a regulator that will go up to 250 pounds, and a zero loss chuck
    assembly. None of that stuff is cheap and that's why they charge you $30 for that tiny puff of nitrogen.

Welding shops will have the nitrogen, usually, and they may even have the regulator, but they won't the zero-loss chuck. Tire shops that offer nitrogen
    for tires will have it all except the chuck. You can buy your own chuck for about $50 and then all you have to do is find someone who is willing to connect
    their nitrogen source to your regulator. Or you can pay $30 a shot from someone
    who has all the stuff. Buying a nitrogen cylinder to charge one or two shocks
    is the equivalent of buying a swimming pool to get a cup of water.

Whatever you do, DO NOT check your nitrogen pressure with a common tire gauge.
    The volume of nitrogen in most shocks is so tiny that checking it a time or two
    with a common gauge will let most of it out and if you weren't low before you checked, you will be after you do check.

I have a family member who builds off-road dune buggies and he had all the recharge stuff.
    --
    Futility Man

Some of our containers for the industrial chemical industry require a
    dry nitrogen blanket <-60deg c dew point> before we ship them to the
    chemical plants.... our method is to pressurize then vent-purge to a few
    psi. replete 3 times. this gets us to a dry nitrogen state quickly.
    purging 3 times is pretty much industry standard to get most of the air
    out. some folks go 5-10 times if the product is really persnickety about contamination. for a shock i'd just fill & burp, fill & burp, fill to
    desired psi.
    john
    gasgas ec250

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From XR650L_Dave@21:1/5 to john on Tue Aug 4 08:53:10 2020
    On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 11:12:25 AM UTC-4, john wrote:

It's just a seal, a few o-rings, and a rubber bladder that looks like an industrial condom. The eBay seller was out of California, was most helpful on
    the phone in making sure I got the right kit for my antique shock. I left feedback on his site saying that it fits the Pro Racer since his description
    didn't specifically mention it. Apparently most Works (and later Worx) shocks
    use one of two different kits, the only difference being the diameter of the
    shock rod. There are apparently two different sized bladders and luckily he
    stocked the one I needed.

assembly. None of that stuff is cheap and that's why they charge you $30 for
    that tiny puff of nitrogen.

Welding shops will have the nitrogen, usually, and they may even have the regulator, but they won't the zero-loss chuck. Tire shops that offer nitrogen
    for tires will have it all except the chuck. You can buy your own chuck for
    about $50 and then all you have to do is find someone who is willing to connect

with a common gauge will let most of it out and if you weren't low before you
    checked, you will be after you do check.

--
    Futility Man

out. some folks go 5-10 times if the product is really persnickety about contamination. for a shock i'd just fill & burp, fill & burp, fill to
    desired psi.
    john
    gasgas ec250

Now if you had some liquid nitrogen you could just squirt in a little, common in the food packaging industry.

Doesn't store for long as a liquid though!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From john@21:1/5 to All on Tue Aug 4 13:20:57 2020
    On 8/4/2020 11:53 AM, XR650L_Dave wrote:
    On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 11:12:25 AM UTC-4, john wrote:

It's just a seal, a few o-rings, and a rubber bladder that looks like an >>> industrial condom. The eBay seller was out of California, was most helpful on
    the phone in making sure I got the right kit for my antique shock. I left >>> feedback on his site saying that it fits the Pro Racer since his description
    didn't specifically mention it. Apparently most Works (and later Worx) shocks
    use one of two different kits, the only difference being the diameter of the
    shock rod. There are apparently two different sized bladders and luckily he
    stocked the one I needed.

assembly. None of that stuff is cheap and that's why they charge you $30 for
    that tiny puff of nitrogen.

Welding shops will have the nitrogen, usually, and they may even have the >>> regulator, but they won't the zero-loss chuck. Tire shops that offer nitrogen
    for tires will have it all except the chuck. You can buy your own chuck for
    about $50 and then all you have to do is find someone who is willing to connect

with a common gauge will let most of it out and if you weren't low before you
    checked, you will be after you do check.

I have a family member who builds off-road dune buggies and he had all the >>> recharge stuff.
    --
    Futility Man

out. some folks go 5-10 times if the product is really persnickety about
    contamination. for a shock i'd just fill & burp, fill & burp, fill to
    desired psi.
    john
    gasgas ec250

Now if you had some liquid nitrogen you could just squirt in a little, common in the food packaging industry.

Doesn't store for long as a liquid though!

liquid to gas is about 1:690 ratio...
    yes i suppose you could do that, "once"....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05