• Yamaha TW200 ignition

From Futility Man@21:1/5 to All on Wed May 6 23:14:58 2020
    Does the TW200 have a magneto or does it run off the battery and charging system? I ask because today I started one that had the deadest battery possible.

My wife's TW has been sitting on the lift for a few years (the tag ran out in '17) waiting for a carb rebuild. Yesterday I finally got around to it and got it finished late in the evening. The battery was beyond dead so I put it on the
    charger overnight and tried it this morning. Nothing, wouldn't even light the neutral light. A voltmeter showed 12 volts nominal at the terminals but if I turned on the ignition, it dropped to near zero.

It's a 96 model with electric and kick starter so just for the helluvit I tried to kick it. It almost started. (the charger was still hooked up at this point).
    I turned the choke off and kicked it again and it fired right up. I figured it would die when I disconnected the charger but it didn't.

I rode it around a little, shut it off, and it was dead-dead again. But a single kick and it started right up.

Is it running from a magneto like my grandson's TTR50 or am I kicking it hard enough to generate enough juice to run the ignition?

The TW uses an odd size battery and nobody local has one that fits in the box. Looks like I'll have to order one somewhere.

--
    Futility Man

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From sturd.virtec@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Futility Man on Fri May 8 07:06:12 2020
    Futility Man asks:

Does the TW200 have a magneto or does it run off the battery and charging system? I ask because today I started one that had the deadest battery possible.

Yes it's a generator (permananet magnet) and yes it will run with a totally dead battery.

Go fast. Take chances.
    Mike S.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)