• B-29 colors

From kelly.pedron@hercrentals.com@21:1/5 to Ville Lehtonen on Thu Apr 27 10:18:06 2017
    On Saturday, April 6, 2002 at 12:06:07 PM UTC-7, Ville Lehtonen wrote:
    I'd like to know the interior color for B-29 in FS or Tamiya/Humbrol paints (any of these would be fine).

Also, would polished aluminum be too "shiny" for a B-29 that has seen some action? I was thinking of using Humbrol Metalcote paints, and my options are Matt Aluminum and Polished Aluminum.

Thanks in advance.

I know I'm WAY late to the party, but . . .

Yes, I would say polished aluminum is too shiny. The only B-29 I've ever seen that is polished aluminum is "DOC", which was just recently restored to flying condition; but they had two or three years to polish the airframe up, I'm not sure if they'll be
    able to maintain that finish after it's been out flying around in the elements for a year or two. "FIFI" is probably closer to what a "normal" finish for a B-29 is, dull/matte aluminum (or aluminium, as the Brits would say). I would use the Matt Aluminum,
    if I were you; spending months under a tropical sun with the salty air and sand blowing around would tend to dull the finish up pretty quickly.

You also have to remember that, originally, anything made during WWII wasn't supposed to last more than a few months (or weeks), anyway, so maintaining the finish was definitely NOT a priority. You just wanted whatever it was (plane, tank, ship, etc.) to
    get you to the combat zone, function properly, and get you home again; what it looked like didn't matter too much.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)