• Request for suggestions (toys not scale models)

From Mike Smith@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 12 12:08:26 2019
    Having retired I now make up sets of mostly 1:72 scale with a few 1:32nd scale 'toy soldiers'

Typically each side in 20mm gets three tanks, 50 troops, a couple of support vehicles and maybe some artillery but I also give them half a dozen trees, bushes, walls, hedges, small hills, a couple of houses and at least one bunker with a removable roof-
    The 54mm are for 5-7 yr olds and those folks get two armies of 20-30 troops, a couple of small buildings and one bigger one, a couple of hills with a few trees, bushes, walls etc.

I get to make all the things I would have liked when I was ten and I give the sets away to less well off parent for their kiddies. This encourages the kids to have a go at making things and there are well established health and psychological benefits to '
    imaginative play' (for adults as well as kids).

So two questions . . .

1 - Pirate ship kit

One little girl is jealous of her brothers set so I am making up one for her, Amazons and Pirates vs rat men and lizard men on an island in the Moreau archipelago. Comes with (so far) an abandoned native village, a 'mysterious temple' (with lift-off top
    and internal detail, that's where the Amazon's hang out), a small fort with a bastion for the cannon (for the Pirates), lots of trees and bushes.

Need a ship for the pirates but making one is challenging due to the hull shape.

Can anyone suggest a (hopefully inexpensive) kit of a sailing ship in 1:100 to 1:72 scale I could cannibalise for a waterline model?

2 - 'Space Base'

Anyone know of any (hopefully inexpensive) kits suitable for a 1:72 space base? Space ships and ground vehicles or kits with lots of bits for my bits box?
    At the mo I'm thinking of getting some PSC 1:100 T34s (wagame models, five in a box) and building new upper parts for them. A cheapo copy of the old Aurora (?) The Invaders saucer would be brilliant (it had a removable top, interior detail and figures) -
    I would buy several as I have been asked for 'sci fi stuff' on several occasions and making a good space ship with an accessible interior is difficult.

Cheers

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From RobG@21:1/5 to Mike Smith on Sat Dec 14 08:17:56 2019
    On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 3:08:28 PM UTC-5, Mike Smith wrote:

2 - 'Space Base'

Anyone know of any (hopefully inexpensive) kits suitable for a 1:72 space base?
    Space ships and ground vehicles or kits with lots of bits for my bits box?
    At the mo I'm thinking of getting some PSC 1:100 T34s (wagame models, five in a box) and building new upper parts for them. A cheapo copy of the old Aurora (?) The Invaders saucer would be brilliant (it had a removable top, interior detail and figures)
    - I would buy several as I have been asked for 'sci fi stuff' on several occasions and making a good space ship with an accessible interior is difficult.

Cheers

Mike

It's available and on sale right now for $25 the Invaders UFO rebox of the old Aurora kit, https://freetimehobbies.com/1-72-atlantis-ex-aurora-ufo-from-the-invaders-model-kit-1006/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Smith@21:1/5 to RobG on Sat Dec 14 18:12:10 2019
    On Saturday, 14 December 2019 16:17:58 UTC, RobG wrote:

2 - 'Space Base'

Space ships and ground vehicles or kits with lots of bits for my bits box? At the mo I'm thinking of getting some PSC 1:100 T34s (wagame models, five in a box) and building new upper parts for them. A cheapo copy of the old Aurora (?) The Invaders saucer would be brilliant (it had a removable top, interior detail and
    figures) - I would buy several as I have been asked for 'sci fi stuff' on several occasions and making a good space ship with an accessible interior is difficult.

Cheers

Mike

It's available and on sale right now for $25 the Invaders UFO rebox of the old Aurora kit, https://freetimehobbies.com/1-72-atlantis-ex-aurora-ufo-from-the-invaders-model-kit-1006/

Spendid ! Many thanks!

Cheers

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Smith@21:1/5 to Mike Smith on Mon Dec 16 10:23:46 2019
    On Sunday, 15 December 2019 02:12:12 UTC, Mike Smith wrote:
    On Saturday, 14 December 2019 16:17:58 UTC, RobG wrote:

2 - 'Space Base'

Space ships and ground vehicles or kits with lots of bits for my bits box?
    At the mo I'm thinking of getting some PSC 1:100 T34s (wagame models, five in a box) and building new upper parts for them. A cheapo copy of the old Aurora (?) The Invaders saucer would be brilliant (it had a removable top, interior detail and
    figures) - I would buy several as I have been asked for 'sci fi stuff' on several occasions and making a good space ship with an accessible interior is difficult.

Cheers

Mike

Spendid ! Many thanks!

Cheers

Mike

I'm in the UK and the locals are asking £50 a pop (about $65), I'll order them from the US supplier.

Thanks for the link!

Cheers

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Max Henry@21:1/5 to Mike Smith on Tue Dec 17 00:14:47 2019
    On Thursday, 12 December 2019 20:08:28 UTC, Mike Smith wrote:

Can anyone suggest a (hopefully inexpensive) kit of a sailing ship in 1:100 to 1:72 scale I could cannibalise for a waterline model?

As you are in the UK, Aldi and Lidl both had a selection of Airfix kits in the past few weeks, including a Cutty Sark kit, https://www.aldi.co.uk/cutty-sark-airfix-starter-set/p/086073301059405?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI75rvyZ685gIVAbDtCh3C-wxxEAYYASABEgL7VfD_
    BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds though I'm not sure of the scale.

jh

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Smith@21:1/5 to Max Henry on Tue Dec 17 07:59:43 2019
    On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 08:14:48 UTC, Max Henry wrote:

As you are in the UK, Aldi and Lidl both had a selection of Airfix kits in the past few weeks, including a Cutty Sark kit, https://www.aldi.co.uk/cutty-sark-airfix-starter-set/p/086073301059405?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI75rvyZ685gIVAbDtCh3C-wxxEAYYASABEgL7VfD_
    BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds though I'm not sure of the scale.

jh

Thanks for that - sailing ships have a complex hull shape that's not easy to replicate (ask me how I know!). Seem to remember the Airfix sailing ships (not the little ones) were to about 1:72 but as it'll get cut about for the job anything from 1:100 to
    1:60 would do.

Cheers

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Smith@21:1/5 to Mike Smith on Sun Dec 22 06:34:44 2019
    On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 15:59:45 UTC, Mike Smith wrote:
    On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 08:14:48 UTC, Max Henry wrote:

As you are in the UK, Aldi and Lidl both had a selection of Airfix kits in the past few weeks, including a Cutty Sark kit, https://www.aldi.co.uk/cutty-sark-airfix-starter-set/p/086073301059405?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI75rvyZ685gIVAbDtCh3C-
    wxxEAYYASABEgL7VfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds though I'm not sure of the scale.

jh

Thanks for that - sailing ships have a complex hull shape that's not easy to replicate (ask me how I know!). Seem to remember the Airfix sailing ships (not the little ones) were to about 1:72 but as it'll get cut about for the job anything from 1:100
    to 1:60 would do.

Cheers

Mike

Okay ordered some cutty sarks on line - Turns out they are the 1:600 mini-kits but can be used for rowing boats - If they release the Great Eastern I'll buy a couple, with the hull shortened for and aft of the paddles it makes the basis for a nice little
    paddle tug in N Gauge (1:160 model railway scale)

cheers

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05