• Kit Collectors Clearing House (KCC / John Burns) Old timers?

From woodyshobbies@gmail.com@21:1/5 to frank on Sat Mar 30 22:35:05 2019
    On Sunday, January 30, 2011 at 9:59:55 AM UTC-6, frank wrote:
    I was thinking yesterday about some of the regulars in John Burns KCC
    who I used to buy from regularly in the '70s & 80s, even early '90s &
    was wondering what's become of them. I know about Paul Milam
    (jetpilotpaul on eBay), I still buy from him some & Jeff Garrity
    (RarePlane Detective) is still around. Jeff Roberts is still around
    with Combat Models. There was a guy named Steve something, I still
    have his card somewhere, & his "Big Set of Kits" with a busty babe charicature on his card. Lou Maglio, whom I think is still around with CollectAire Models. Charlie Pace of APC Hobbies fame, has retired &
    faded away I guess. A couple of guys I've wondered about, both in NY
    state, Richard Trezza & E J Krampert. I talked to these 2 on the phone
    a time or 2 back then, long distance even! I bought a lot of stuff
    from them over the years. I know John himself moved in with his son or daughter some time back. KCC was one of those things I waited for
    every issue & posted want ads in regularly & I don't think I had but
    one deal go bad & that was Galactic Trade Commission screwed me out of
    a kit I paid for. Man, just think, nearly everything was done by mail,
    paid for by personal check or, Heaven forbid, cold hard cash, sent in
    the mail. Sometimes people would send me a kit along with a note on
    how much to send them! Once, in the early - mid '80s, somebody sent me
    two 1/48 Soviet made kits of a Mil Mi-2 & an Mi-8. All it said was
    "Merry Christmas, R. S." The postmark was somewhere in NY. I don't
    think I ever found out who the KCC member R. S. was. Those were the
    days! So, anyone know about any of these MIAs?

I was a subscriber for years and sold alot at hobby shows and through KKC before I switched over to an eBay store. I quit selling kits around 2005.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Mad Modeller@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 8 19:21:41 2019
    I used to buy kits from Charlie Pace until he got out of the biz. I moved on to Aviation Usk and stayed there until Tom Fresque (sp?) retired and passed the business to some guys in the Midwest. I don't know if they're still in business or when they
    quit. I buy sometimes from Jeff Garrity when he has something I want in teeny-tiny scale.
    For my model car biz I buy from Fred Sterns once in a while, spent a lot of money at Modelhaus and have even bought directly from Round 2.
    For my aviation stuff now, I frequently buy diecast bombers in 1/144 and kits for the fighters from ebay sellers. I'm also sampling 3D printers' offerings in the little scale. Decals are a bit scarcer than in the "good ol' days with Microscale's 1/72
    offerings. There was a seller from Scotland on ebay with an interesting range of markings but he seems to be gone from ebay now. I should have bought more sheets when he was there. I'll just have to check my 1/72 sheets for the smaller markings that
    would be usable. My most recent dealer I dealt with was Roll Models in Minnesota but they sold their stock to an outfit called KitLinx recently. I've been unsuccessful in getting an order to go through their process. My first order for kits and decals
    was placed with an outfit in Federal Way, Wash. and I think the name was something like Scale Aircraft. I don't seem to have a copy of their listings any more.
    At the same time I hit 70 several months ago and I am reluctant to take on too much more than what I already have in stock. There's less time left ahead of me than there is time behind me. Oh yeah, avoid TKM for cars unless you're a masochist. ;-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)