• Rustoleum wrinkling on 2nd coat!?

From skymaxx1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu May 19 19:26:15 2016
    Hi,
    I have found Rustolem to be a good paint,BUT it doesn't dry quickly and if you put it on kinda thick YOU got to wait until you cannot SMELL any solvents coming from it,about double the time for both paint and primer.
    So put it all on at one time or several small coats,and leave it alone,IF you going with a clear coat,do ALL the sanding when in primer,not in color or clear
    I spray a test piece at the same time ,and wait until it's not tackie sometime twice as long as recommended.
    and smell for solvents,if you smell them leave it alone for a while longer,because it isn't dry yet,
    I spray guitars and screw one of those up and learn to let it dry.
    Krylon and all the others will wrinkle too.So no thick coats,
    My best application is 2 light coats of color and wait at least a hour then 3/4 of a wet coat,most of the time it will dry glossed out,a full heavy wet coat and it most likely krinkle,
    I do use a fan to help dry the paint and DO wear a mask when spraying (read warnings on can) brain seizures,headaches ect.
    BEST of LUCK !
    SKY

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From michaeldrivas1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Gordon McGrew on Thu Jul 28 09:44:53 2016
    On Wednesday, December 27, 2000 at 7:58:46 AM UTC-5, Gordon McGrew wrote:
    At the risk of enhancing my reputation as a contrarian, I will say that I like
    Rustoleum (the regular kind - haven't used Painter's Touch.) I did have a problem with wrinkling one time but I think I have the hang of using it now. My
    secret is to not wait a long time between coats. I got this idea from someone
    in this forum.

Start with a fully cured primer coat. The first paint coat is very light leaving a very blotchy appearance. After five minutes of drying (70F, light wind) I apply a second, slightly heavier coat concentrating on the thin areas.
    After five or ten minutes a third, more thorough coat is applied. Finally, after another five to ten minutes I apply a heavy coat making sure all surfaces
    are left glossy wet. Then the piece goes into the shed where hopefully temperatures will exceed 80 or 90F over the next 24 hours. The piece can then
    be handled gently but I think it takes several days or even a week or two for a
    complete cure. This has produced the best finishes that I have achieved so far.

The early light coats seem to prevent the final coat from sagging or running. On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 00:14:22 GMT, Kevin Trojanowski <troj@nospam.home.com> wrote:

I've never used Rustoleum on rockets, so I cannot comment on it in that >application.

The paint I've had good luck with is the Ace brand, available at the
    local Ace hardware store. It comes in a reasonable variety of colors
    and is a LOT less expensive than Krylon, etc. I've had good luck with
    2nd and 3rd coats on it, too.

-Kevin

Jeffrey Lefstin wrote:

Having heard all the "Don't paint your Saturn V with Krylon" warnings:

I sprayed on a coat of "Painter's Touch" gloss white. Went on fine over >> Krlyon primer, looked great, I think "Hey, Rustoleum's good stuff."

24 hours later, I sand out some dust spots and spray another coat on...

... and I get a bunch of wrinkles! Not everywhere - mostly the really
    hard to sand places.

The can says recoat within 1 hour or after 24... the only thing I can
    think of is that the recoat window is a little longer then they claim.
    Especially where the paint is thick. Can I avoid this problem by waiting >> more than 24 hours?

The only other thing that touched the rocket was a tack cloth, but I
    wiped the rocket pretty thoroughly with the cloth before the 1st coat &
    the 1st coat went on fine.

Oh well.. back to the sanding board... and probably to Krlyon "recoat
    anytime" for my next project. Any thoughts appreciated.

You got it right... I do it the same way comes out like a car with none to little orange peal...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From dogon2u@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Jeffrey Lefstin on Fri Aug 17 08:01:17 2018
    On Monday, December 25, 2000 at 8:46:49 PM UTC-6, Jeffrey Lefstin wrote:

I sprayed on a coat of "Painter's Touch" gloss white. Went on fine over Krlyon primer, looked great, I think "Hey, Rustoleum's good stuff."

hard to sand places.

think of is that the recoat window is a little longer then they claim. Especially where the paint is thick. Can I avoid this problem by waiting
    more than 24 hours?

Oh well.. back to the sanding board... and probably to Krlyon "recoat anytime" for my next project. Any thoughts appreciated.

Rustoleum. is junk. You have to let it dry for at least 48 hours before re-coating and if you sand it another 24 after sanding. Krylon works much better.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From matt48763@gmail.com@21:1/5 to dog...@gmail.com on Wed Aug 29 14:53:25 2018
    On Friday, August 17, 2018 at 9:01:19 AM UTC-6, dog...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, December 25, 2000 at 8:46:49 PM UTC-6, Jeffrey Lefstin wrote:

I sprayed on a coat of "Painter's Touch" gloss white. Went on fine over Krlyon primer, looked great, I think "Hey, Rustoleum's good stuff."

... and I get a bunch of wrinkles! Not everywhere - mostly the really hard to sand places.

The can says recoat within 1 hour or after 24... the only thing I can think of is that the recoat window is a little longer then they claim. Especially where the paint is thick. Can I avoid this problem by waiting more than 24 hours?

wiped the rocket pretty thoroughly with the cloth before the 1st coat & the 1st coat went on fine.

Oh well.. back to the sanding board... and probably to Krlyon "recoat anytime" for my next project. Any thoughts appreciated.

Rustoleum. is junk. You have to let it dry for at least 48 hours before re-coating and if you sand it another 24 after sanding. Krylon works much better.

I have used Painters Touch, mostly because I like their high build sandable primer. But yea, it takes at the minimum, 24 hours to dry to the point of being able to do anything with it after your final coat... I had to leave it for almost a week indoors
    just to so it would not be slightly tacky. Had great results with it as long as you don't go to thick on a single coat and you recoat within an hour. I could recoat within 10 min without too much issue. Just dont touch the damn thing

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gmcanazon@aol.com@21:1/5 to Jeffrey Lefstin on Sat Dec 15 10:07:08 2018
    On Monday, December 25, 2000 at 9:46:49 PM UTC-5, Jeffrey Lefstin wrote:

hard to sand places.

think of is that the recoat window is a little longer then they claim. Especially where the paint is thick. Can I avoid this problem by waiting
    more than 24 hours?

Thanks for your patience. I had no idea that that was a door to a sim card. Thanks for the education. I look forward to getting the phone and my husband will thank you!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From timcooper29@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Jeffrey Lefstin on Wed Apr 10 18:56:39 2019

hard to sand places.

more than 24 hours?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From timcooper29@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Jeffrey Lefstin on Wed Apr 10 18:57:46 2019

hard to sand places.

more than 24 hours?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bloomkinetic@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 23 23:18:51 2019
    regarding the nozzle plugging up halfway..i get longer life by clearing it with a few bursts on a can of clear inbetween sessions. i also remove all nozzles on purchase and use a single one on all colours until it dies on me.. then move on. never had to
    buy new nozzles

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From msyava75@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Jeffrey Lefstin on Thu Jul 25 22:46:59 2019
    In my experience, spray paint wrinkles no matter what brand, if you don't shake it long enough to mix the paint and you need to spray thin coats. Basically, follow the directions on the can.

On Monday, December 25, 2000 at 6:46:49 PM UTC-8, Jeffrey Lefstin wrote:

hard to sand places.

more than 24 hours?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From deanenterline@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Jeffrey Lefstin on Tue Jan 7 06:44:43 2020

hard to sand places.

think of is that the recoat window is a little longer then they claim. Especially where the paint is thick. Can I avoid this problem by waiting more than 24 hours?

The spray can of RUST-OLEUM PAINTER'S Touch clearly states, on the back of the can: "APPLY SECOND COAT WITHIN 1 HOUR OR AFTER 48 HOURS" - not 24 hours, as you had indicated! I, too, had the same problem w/paint blistering out on me ... Definitely NOT a
    pretty picture! -Dean Enterline, from Chambersburg, PA 17202.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From deanenterline@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Jeffrey Lefstin on Tue Jan 7 06:34:33 2020

hard to sand places.

more than 24 hours?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From matt48763@gmail.com@21:1/5 to chw...@aol.com on Wed Apr 22 14:41:17 2020
    On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 3:25:08 PM UTC-6, chw...@aol.com wrote:
    Every 2nd coat makes it wrinkle with rust ileum never have that problem with krylon. I'll never buy rustoleum again. It's a fucking pain in the ass.

I use rustoleum and you have to be extremely patient with it… you MUST let it dry for at least a day, if not 2 before trying again.

OR

Your coats must be within 15 min of each other…

But if you are sanding, you absolutely have to wait at least 2 days…. I wait a week… then I sand… and reapply the coat

The patience pays off, as the coating is very very glossy.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From chw2nd@aol.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 22 14:25:06 2020
    Every 2nd coat makes it wrinkle with rust ileum never have that problem with krylon. I'll never buy rustoleum again. It's a fucking pain in the ass.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ouisie@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 23 19:29:00 2020
    Airbrushing might be what's needed...with a "Future" or similar acrylic
    floor finish top coat.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dana Thorne@21:1/5 to Ouisie on Tue Feb 15 09:24:13 2022
    On Thursday, 23 April 2020 at 20:29:06 UTC-4, Ouisie wrote:
    Airbrushing might be what's needed...with a "Future" or similar acrylic floor finish top coat

Just got off the phone with the Rust oleum tech support. Im trying to paint a motorcycle tank but the paint keeps krinkleing and has to be sanded off eaven after sitting for a week. Was told the " recoat within the hour or after 48 hours " Was under
    laboratory conditions and I should be recoating no longer than 4 minuits apart or after 14 days with a fan blowing on the tank Would have been nice to know befor I wasted 2 spray cans and sanded down the tank 4 times. Will be avoiding RUST OLEUM in the
    future and I dont know anybody who paints in a labratory.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05