• Don Smith B-17 Plans

From payne.dion@gmail.com@21:1/5 to DUBOLIN on Thu Jan 26 22:36:50 2017
    On Tuesday, September 19, 2000 at 7:00:00 PM UTC+12, DUBOLIN wrote:
    I happen to be building this thing as we speak. Yesterday, the 18th, marked the
    fourth month on this project for me with 138 hours into this so far. I enjoy the hell out of this project. Instead of building the fuselage in halves, I elected to build it in one piece as the old ships used to be built. I made a line drawing on the plans that represented the table surface, used front and rear jigs from this, and began erecting the fuselage starting with the lower keel laid down on the table and jigs. Building the fuse this way also set the body at 0 incidence which now makes it easy to set the incidence on the stab at
    +1 degree and the wing at +3 degrees. I sent out for the wood parts to be cut by All American Kit Cutters which ran $525.00 for two boxes worth of wood. This
    could easily be a $4000.00 project. I do have photos of this B-17 in construction if you would like some copies, I would be happy to send them. If you need any more information on this, let me know. Steven R Bolin

any pics or information you could give me on the plan would be great

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From payne.dion@gmail.com@21:1/5 to payne...@gmail.com on Sun Jan 29 17:48:54 2017
    On Friday, January 27, 2017 at 7:36:52 PM UTC+13, payne...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, September 19, 2000 at 7:00:00 PM UTC+12, DUBOLIN wrote:
    I happen to be building this thing as we speak. Yesterday, the 18th, marked the
    fourth month on this project for me with 138 hours into this so far. I enjoy
    the hell out of this project. Instead of building the fuselage in halves, I elected to build it in one piece as the old ships used to be built. I made a
    line drawing on the plans that represented the table surface, used front and
    rear jigs from this, and began erecting the fuselage starting with the lower
    keel laid down on the table and jigs. Building the fuse this way also set the
    body at 0 incidence which now makes it easy to set the incidence on the stab at
    +1 degree and the wing at +3 degrees. I sent out for the wood parts to be cut
    by All American Kit Cutters which ran $525.00 for two boxes worth of wood. This
    could easily be a $4000.00 project. I do have photos of this B-17 in construction if you would like some copies, I would be happy to send them. If
    you need any more information on this, let me know. Steven R Bolin

any pics or information you could give me on the plan would be great

where did you get plans from as ive been trying to sourse some

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Bufalini@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 29 17:51:55 2022
    On Tuesday, September 19, 2000 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Hjk40 wrote:
    I'm considering taking on a B-17 project. Don Smith Plans has one with a 138 inch span. Does anyone have any experience with Don Smith plans? How are they for scale fidelity? What general construction techniques does he use? Any insights would be appreciated before i invest in a set of plans. Many thanks. Howard Kahn
    Fairfax Station, VA

Do it the planes and the is awesome...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05