• failing a black belt test

From Shreya Aravind@21:1/5 to mol...@sprynet.com on Thu Mar 4 16:04:40 2021
    On Friday, December 13, 1996 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, mol...@sprynet.com wrote:
    "l.a. dehaan" <lde...@julian.uwo.ca> writes:

Hi.

So far, I've decided to contine 'til the term that's paid for is up
    (May) and then quit. I'm only continuing because I didn't pay for it (it was a gift). Everyone wants/expects me to try for it again in June but I doubt I will. I told my karate teacher that I have no intention of trying again, but he doesn't believe me. He still sees me as the person who loves karate, but she's gone. Going to the dojo is a chore now and I can't see how that can change.

Les, Les, Les....
    I feel your pain, buddy. Feeling like a failure in MA (especially if you've done well up to that point), is hard to get over. But you CANT QUIT! Good god,
    man, get ahold of yourself! Think about every stinking class where you did
    a million push-ups. Every class where you were so tired you thought you were going to puke. Every freaking drop of sweat that the Dojoj floor soaked up. Did you ever think back then you were going to quit? Imagine explaining to that past you (ok--its transcendental, but its just a thought exercise) that you're
    going to quit. What would he (you) say? I imagine it'd be something like
    "All this hard work I'm doing, and you want to quit? Not a chance!"
    I think not getting your black belt is something you'll really regret. At least
    you have some closure then....you accomplished what you set out to do. After that, you can do whatever you want. But let me tell you, the first time you walk
    into the studio, and see that belt around your waist in the practice mirror, you feel like you're walking on air. You did it!
    And besides, I was passed down three times, yes, THREE TIMES for
    my black belt. And had a closet full of forms trophies; I thought 'whats wrong'?
    But every time, I'd go to the Sifu, and he'd say "You don't believe in yourself
    enough." It took me over a year from my initial test to get the belt.
    Talk to your teacher.....he probably has a very good reason why he decided
    to pass you up 'till the next test. Instead of deciding to quit, find out your
    weaknesses, ask if he'll help you with them (And I'm sure he will). Decide your next test is going to be THE BEST BLACK BELT TEST THE SCHOOL HAS
    EVER SEEN!
    Martial arts is succeeding in the face of adversity. Getting through this is your
    real black belt test, not the one in the studio.
    I'm rooting for you, pal.
    -Trip
    Wow! This is from 1996!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Shreya Aravind@21:1/5 to Shreya Aravind on Thu Jul 1 14:12:13 2021
    On Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 4:04:41 PM UTC-8, Shreya Aravind wrote:
    On Friday, December 13, 1996 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, mol...@sprynet.com wrote:
    "l.a. dehaan" <lde...@julian.uwo.ca> writes:

Hi.

So far, I've decided to contine 'til the term that's paid for is up
    (May) and then quit. I'm only continuing because I didn't pay for it (it was a gift). Everyone wants/expects me to try for it again in June but I doubt I will. I told my karate teacher that I have no intention of trying again, but he doesn't believe me. He still sees me as the person who loves
    karate, but she's gone. Going to the dojo is a chore now and I can't see how that can change.

Les, Les, Les....
    I feel your pain, buddy. Feeling like a failure in MA (especially if you've done well up to that point), is hard to get over. But you CANT QUIT! Good god,
    man, get ahold of yourself! Think about every stinking class where you did a million push-ups. Every class where you were so tired you thought you were
    going to puke. Every freaking drop of sweat that the Dojoj floor soaked up. Did you ever think back then you were going to quit? Imagine explaining to that past you (ok--its transcendental, but its just a thought exercise) that you're
    going to quit. What would he (you) say? I imagine it'd be something like "All this hard work I'm doing, and you want to quit? Not a chance!"
    I think not getting your black belt is something you'll really regret. At least
    you have some closure then....you accomplished what you set out to do. After
    that, you can do whatever you want. But let me tell you, the first time you walk
    into the studio, and see that belt around your waist in the practice mirror,
    you feel like you're walking on air. You did it!
    And besides, I was passed down three times, yes, THREE TIMES for
    my black belt. And had a closet full of forms trophies; I thought 'whats wrong'?
    But every time, I'd go to the Sifu, and he'd say "You don't believe in yourself
    enough." It took me over a year from my initial test to get the belt.
    Talk to your teacher.....he probably has a very good reason why he decided to pass you up 'till the next test. Instead of deciding to quit, find out your
    weaknesses, ask if he'll help you with them (And I'm sure he will). Decide your next test is going to be THE BEST BLACK BELT TEST THE SCHOOL HAS
    EVER SEEN!
    Martial arts is succeeding in the face of adversity. Getting through this is your
    real black belt test, not the one in the studio.
    I'm rooting for you, pal.
    -Trip
    Wow! This is from 1996!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)