• Re: Soae - Mosh Fest Review

From Will Stenner@21:1/5 to Phil Powell on Tue Oct 24 18:42:16 2023
    On Thursday, May 12, 1994 at 10:23:58 PM UTC-6, Phil Powell wrote:
    ** Soae - Michigan Mosh Fest Review **
    5/12/94
    "We who are about to die salute you!" --Kamikaze Babies of America
    We interrupt our regular features in Soae to bring you this special
    edition of the Michigan Mosh Fest Review (sit back, it's a long one!).. we will bring you your regular news next week.
    UPDATE: I was recently told by Pedro Lopes of Portuguese hardcore band KHRISTOS that his grindcore band, BENEVOLENCE, was screwed over by their record company.. he asks that all those interested in their demo "Where Is Your Benevolence" to *not* write to Infected Productions.. instead write
    to: Pedro Lopes, Rua Pedro Gallego No. 7 2-DTO, Santo Antonio dos
    Cavaleiros, 2670 Loures, Portugal..
    ** The Review **
    Michigan Mosh Festival, Sparta H.S., Sparta MI May 6-8, 1994
    First, let's talk about the trip. Raise your hand and repeat after me: I
    will not ever go to Michigan via Florida ever again! Some of us don't
    realize that the US is not the size of San Marino (especially if you live
    in DC like I do and know going to Florida to Michigan is slightly out of
    your way). I took a train from DC to Ft. Lauderdale (and did I get any
    sun? Freak, no!) and five minutes later I'm in a car with Eric Hoffman of A.R.T. Records all the way up through Florida, through Georgia (and
    Atlanta, home of FINAL JUDGEMENT and ANTIC), through Tennessee, through Kentucky (for the first time upping the states I've visited to 25),
    through Ohio and finally Michigan. Decades later we find the sprawling metropolis of Sparta. No hotels, no traffic lights, but hey, they have a Burger King. If I had to review Sparta, the town would be a total zero
    (my apologies to anyone who was there reading this - for living there.).
    And finally, at Friday 7:00 a.m. we find the dorms of Grand Valley State University in the town of Grand Valley, which just happens to be an hour
    *the other direction*! Good thing the Fest didn't begin until 7:30 p.m.
    that evening (just imagine if this were the only part of the review - man that would be cruel!).
    Day 1: R.E.X. band HOT PINK TURTLE, those silly little reptiles from
    Kansas City, began the three-day fest that had to be better than the trip
    up there (anything was, well, seeing Kentucky was cool, but..). I'm not
    into their music since it's way too alternative for me, but they're so
    tight for whatever they play, and they gave my Bible Study leader Chris
    the most unique souvenir. But I digress. THE ENGINEERING MORONS were a
    local band (Grand Rapids) complete with flying feathers, squirting toilets and music along the lines of GWAR and the Genitorturers. Just your
    typical band. Okay, anyway.. Covenant recording artists CRIMSON THORN
    have successfully made the transistion from thrash to death. They were awesome! Tuned down to.. C I guess, and sounding like Suffocation and Carcass. Despite the sound problems that plagued nearly every band
    including Crimson Thorn, they blew my mind. That was it for Day 1. I did
    hear a tape from GODSPEED, a local 6-piece thrash band. Their tape
    production was seriously muddy, and they need some work. There, I was
    kind, okay Aaron? I also sold half of my copies of Screams of Abel #3
    Zine, and sharing the same room with the head of A.R.T. gives you all
    kinds of new stuff to listen to, like live ROYAL ANGUISH (less chaotic,
    more beefy brutal music), new DERACINATION (nice and heavy!), PERSECUTION (technical death) and THE DEBONING METHOD (oh most cool death metal). New NONPOINT FACTOR wasn't bad either.
    Day 2: I hate mornings! It is not fun toave to get up for even a concert
    on a Saturday morning. Whose idea was this? Oh yeah, Mark Hodges, the coordinator who paid for my dorm room. Oh well.. first band up was
    WEEPING PROPHET. Oh man, they were one strange unit! This 4-piece from
    Ohio sounded like a cross between Rush and TOURNIQUET. A couple of songs
    I didn't like cuz they were way too chaotic. I needed to wake up so they helped me out with RITUAL. The 3-piece California band had material that
    was death metal, but it was weak, not enough power in their stuff. It was okay but just that - okay. I felt sorry for guitarist Willie Stenner. He tried hard but he was terribly nervous and couldn't remember some of the lyrics. Man that must suck (I was a lead singer of a band, I can
    relate!)! Well, at least they sold a lot of tapes so it wasn't a total
    loss. Their bassist quit before they went to the fest, so they pulled in NICENE CREED bassist Bill Burk to sub, and he tood advantage of it by
    selling his band's tapes too. Now for the onslaught - DISENCUMBRANCE!
    Whoa, man, 40 minutes of horrific fun; bone-crushing music that affixes
    you to the nearest wall! The best band of the Mosh Fest, this 4-piece
    from Texas assaulted the whole crowd with their Entombed/Dismember style death (whoa! An American band playing Swedish buzz-saw!); 10-minute songs including "The Dead Are Among Us". Oh, I quiver when I think of Disencumbrance's stuff; their sickening bending strings and disturbing harmonics were such a welcome at this event. So, what could follow them?
    How about another death band from Texas - OBLATION! I've been waiting to
    hear more songs from this 4-piece since all I knew was "Dead Unborn"
    (which they dedicated to me - how touching!). I was not at all
    disappointed! Excellent brutal techno-death with fabulous guitar of Mike Rizzo and polyrhythmic drumming of Billy Fraser. Oh, how superior! Mix Disincarnate with Morbid Angel and MORTIFICATION and you have Oblation
    pretty much. Next up was FRANK'S ENEMY, former LEAD man Julio Rey's new
    band. I didn't see much of them because I was interviewing Disencumbrance
    at the time. What I did see was unusual, hardcore mixed with metal
    guitar.. Ok, next: SIX FEET DEEP, that new band on R.E.X. from Cleveland. Powerful! I don't even like hardcore that much but I *dig* this band - a
    lot! They're full-on; stage presence with anger, attitude, emotion. Mix
    THE CRUCIFIED with Pantera.. You know, hanging with bands all the time you realize they're people just like you. Ok I got that overwith.. the
    "Hardcore '94" bands ended the evening. First was CRASHDOG (GRRR/R.E.X.).
    I honestly don't like this band so I really didn't pay much attention to
    them - sorry, folks! THE CLERGY was next and despite their punk music and green-haired chick singer, they weren't so bad, stage presence speaking.
    I had to ask Jim of the Clergy the question: "Is Tonya Harding a big fan
    of your music?" (They're from Portland) He said, "Probably not, but I hear she swings a mean club!" The night ended with JESUS FREAKS; a newer, much much heavier Jesus Freaks with an almost entirely new lineup, now a
    4-piece. Replace Metallica with Testament and Slayer and you have 'em
    pegged! Ooo death picks on the guitar, and I even asked the lead
    guitarist if he was influenced by Kerry King, and he said that he never
    liked Slayer! Go figure, eh? I spent a lot of time with Hot Pink Turtle
    and the new guys from Jesus Freaks. They even came into my dorm room to
    hear tapes (turned Mike and Billy of Oblation onto the new SABAOTH), and became, well, maybe too close (heh) to Oblation, Disencumbrance and
    Crimson Thorn (oh and thanx Luke of CT for the use of your tape player
    during my seminar!). It's been awesome so far!
    Day 3: I'm tired, but I want more! I was serenaded awake outside of my
    door by members of Oblation and Disencumbrance to "Dead Unborn" (the
    acoustic version). Musicians are sick people. First band up (and I made
    it just in time to see them) was ERADICATE. They're a metal band from the Grand Rapids area that needs a lot of work; they sound like weak, sloppy Judas Priest. And the Southern-style preaching onstage would be cooler if your music were much better. Work at it, guys! I left early to go
    upstairs to check out the merchandising area. Whoa! Only 2 copies of SOA
    #3 left? And I was floored at the Rad Rockers Emporium booth when I discovered new releases from CHARIZMA and from KREYSON ("Crusaders"). Somebody could've *told* me.. oh wait, that's my job.. oops! :) Anyway,
    LOST TRIBE was next and oh what an improvement! Very low-end, heavy
    groove metal, like what KING'S X is doing on "Dogman". Their stage
    presence was one of the best I saw at the fest; they covered that gym
    stage! They're not on a label yet, but they should be, their sound is
    new, fresh and heaveee! They've also opened up for Bulletboys and Tribe
    After Tribe, and will be playing with Crowbar and Varga Friday May 13 at
    the Capitol Theatre in Flint (plug plug!). After Lost Tribe played I hung
    out with Terry Cvengros, the (only) dude drummer of Wonderland recording artists ORDAINED FATE, and his two roadies, Bob and Roy, who themselves
    have a death band called SUFFER (wish they played!). After discussing the cool aspects of death metal I grabbed a bite to eat in the staff room
    which was a converted classroom (press people got free food - thank God!!) and caught Ordained Fate. They're heavier now, much heavier and slower
    than their only album out now. They have this one new song that Terry the drummer shouts/growls out, and the women are death-pickin' it out! This,
    of course, led to a comment from my ex-girlfriend: "I told you women could play death metal!" Yeah yeah yeah.. last but not least came Covenant band WATER STAIN. They're normally a 4-piece but their bassist quit so they
    had to borrow Paul of Crimson Thorn (not like they don't know each other
    cuz the bands all live in Minneapolis). They're.. uh.. grunge.
    Tool/Alice in Chains mix of music with spastic stage presence. Also doesn't hurt that vocalist Tracy Stein looks like Jerry Cantrell. Course, the
    song "Revelation" got me going (reminded me of PRECIOUS DEATH for some reason), and guitarist Matt Patrick is such a cool individual (and total clone of Lance Garvin of LIVING SACRIFICE). Oh dern it all, I had fun
    hanging with them anyway, even though I don't like grunge. What a fest!
    They needed more bands to satisfy me!
    All in all, the Michigan Mosh Fest was superior! I got lots of stuff
    there including CRAWLSPACE's new album "Shelter", FINAL JUDGEMENT's 7",
    lots of bumper stickers including some from this local band BONES OF ADAM (formerly SUBSTITUTIONARY DEATH) and, hey, even Mr. A.R.T. Guy found a quicker way for me to get home rather than going via Oregon or something!
    It didn't start off the best way but, if I had it all over again, I'd do
    it gladly and experience all the awesome bands, the great friends, the incredible interest in Screams of Abel, and Kentucky, all over again..
    well, maybe not that Florida/Michigan thing again. Mark, if you're
    reading this, see ya next year! :)
    ** End of Soae **
    Phil
    -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    \ The above does not represent OIT, UNC-CH, laUNChpad, or its other users. / ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What's Up Phil? Willie Stenner from Ritual Here.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)