• Mossberg 835 UltiMag Slug Barrel: Problems?

From parsonsrealtyflorida@GMAIL.COM@21:1/5 to Gene Rector on Thu Apr 6 23:19:02 2017
    I have an 835 UltiMag, Mossberg Accuchoke in barrel, with extra full choke.. I fired 3" Remington Nitro's, # 5's at 30 yards and repeated shots at target are coming in 8 to 10" right of my turkey head target..?? What's up with that.?? My Mossberg 500,
    same shells, same day, same distance..Centers a LOT of BB's dead center..Dead bird.. How can I fix this..?? I bougfht the thing for "The perfect turkey gun.. So far it Ain't..? Lon Parsons 8iring On Thursday, October 18, 2001 at 12:54:54 AM UTC-4, Gene
    Rector wrote:
    Howdy! I got a rifled slug barrel with open sights for my 12 gauge Mossberg 835. I took it to the rifle range and it seemed to shoot to the right and down from where you are aiming (target bullseye). The gunshop put another back sight on it; however, there was not much improvement. Has anyone had any similar problems? Any suggestions for fixing it? I would appreciate your views.
    Always, Gene

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Visit the rec.hunting and rec.hunting.dogs FAQ Home Page at:
    http://sportsmansweb.com/hunting/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Grossbohlin@21:1/5 to Gene Rector on Fri Apr 7 18:09:30 2017
    wrote in message
    news:6c82c255-1d73-4461-8deb-f10f8a43815d@googlegroups.com...

I have an 835 UltiMag, Mossberg Accuchoke in barrel, with extra full choke..
    I fired 3" Remington Nitro's, # 5's at 30 yards and repeated shots at target are coming in 8 to 10" right of my turkey head target..?? What's up with that.?? My Mossberg 500, same shells, same day, same distance..Centers a
    LOT of BB's dead center..Dead bird.. How can I fix this..?? I bougfht the thing for "The perfect turkey gun.. So far it Ain't..? Lon Parsons 8iring
    On Thursday, October 18, 2001 at 12:54:54 AM UTC-4, Gene Rector wrote:
    Howdy! I got a rifled slug barrel with open sights for my 12 gauge
    Mossberg
    835. I took it to the rifle range and it seemed to shoot to the right and down from where you are aiming (target bullseye). The gunshop put another back sight on it; however, there was not much improvement. Has anyone had any similar problems? Any suggestions for fixing it? I would appreciate your views.
    Always, Gene

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Visit the rec.hunting and rec.hunting.dogs FAQ Home Page at:
    http://sportsmansweb.com/hunting/

Lacking a first hand examination I'd look for two things:

One is that the choke threads in the barrel were not put in straight. Have
    you tried other chokes to see where they are patterning? If they are all
    doing the same thing that suggests the barrel is the problem. A fix for this would be a custom choke tube that is intentionally machined to shift the
    point of impact to match the point of aim... or have the barrel replaced by Mossberg.

If the barrel seems OK the other possibility is that the extra full choke
    was not manufactured properly. Either the threads are not on straight or the bore/choke was not milled straight. I'd try another extra full choke to see
    how it works.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)