• Prussian blazon - please help ...

From JFerg@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 29 04:56:37 2018
    Hello,

I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to continental heraldry and I definitely don't speak German.

I came across the following blazon described in a 19th century Prussian reference:

1: "(In Blau drei, zu 2, 1 gestellte goldene wilde Schweinsköpfe und dazwischen in der Mitte eine silberne Schnalle ; auf dom Helme eine blühende Diestelstaude)"

2: "(In Blau ein silberner Schräglinksbalken. Auf dem Schilde 2 weisse Tauben und der ungekrönte Helm mit 5 weissen Strnussfedern geziert. Kühne IV. 74.)"

Can anyone please translate to English and describe 1: and 2:? Also, can anyone identify the reference to "Kühne IV. 74."?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Best regards.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Basil D@21:1/5 to JFerg on Sun Jul 29 09:49:01 2018
    On 7/29/2018 4:56 AM, JFerg wrote:
    Hello,

I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to continental heraldry and I definitely don't
    speak German.

I came across the following blazon described in a 19th century Prussian reference:

1: "(In Blau drei, zu 2, 1 gestellte goldene wilde Schweinsköpfe und dazwischen in der
    Mitte eine silberne Schnalle ; auf dom Helme eine blühende Diestelstaude)"

2: "(In Blau ein silberner Schräglinksbalken. Auf dem Schilde 2 weisse Tauben und der
    ungekrönte Helm mit 5 weissen Strnussfedern geziert. Kühne IV. 74.)"

Can anyone please translate to English and describe 1: and 2:? Also, can anyone
    identify the reference to "Kühne IV. 74."?

Well, my German consists of Google Translate, so take the following with a good deal of salt.

1: Azure, a buckle argent between three boars' head Or. For a crest, a blooming thistle.

2: Azure, an "oblique beam" (bend? bend sinister??) between two pigeons argent. On an
    un-crowned helmet five Strnuss feathers. -- did you miscopy "Strunssfedern"?

I have no idea what "Kühne IV. 74." means; perhaps a book/roll-of-arms reference?

Best regards.

And now someone who speaks German will come along and show all the mistakes I made. ;-)

~~Basil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Howarth@21:1/5 to Basil D on Wed Aug 1 06:37:15 2018
    On Sunday, 29 July 2018 17:49:03 UTC+1, Basil D wrote:
    Hello,

I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to continental heraldry and I definitely don't
    speak German.

1: "(In Blau drei, zu 2, 1 gestellte goldene wilde Schweinsköpfe und dazwischen in der
    Mitte eine silberne Schnalle ; auf dom Helme eine blühende Diestelstaude)"

2: "(In Blau ein silberner Schräglinksbalken. Auf dem Schilde 2 weisse Tauben und der
    ungekrönte Helm mit 5 weissen Strnussfedern geziert. Kühne IV. 74.)"

Well, my German consists of Google Translate, so take the following with a good deal of salt.

1: Azure, a buckle argent between three boars' head Or. For a crest, a blooming thistle.

2: Azure, an "oblique beam" (bend? bend sinister??) between two pigeons argent. On an

I have no idea what "Kühne IV. 74." means; perhaps a book/roll-of-arms reference?

Best regards.

And now someone who speaks German will come along and show all the mistakes I made. ;-)

~~Basil

I agree with your translation of no.1.

No 2 is: azure, a bend sinister argent. On the shield (presumably sitting on it), two white doves. The helm, without coronet, decorated with five white ostrich feathers (= Straussfedern)

I can't find any reference to match Kühne.

Peter Howarth

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Basil D@21:1/5 to Peter Howarth on Thu Aug 2 12:24:56 2018
    On 8/1/2018 6:37 AM, Peter Howarth wrote:
    On Sunday, 29 July 2018 17:49:03 UTC+1, Basil D wrote:
    Hello,

I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to continental heraldry and I definitely
    don't speak German.

1: "(In Blau drei, zu 2, 1 gestellte goldene wilde Schweinsköpfe und dazwischen in
    der Mitte eine silberne Schnalle ; auf dom Helme eine blühende Diestelstaude)"

2: "(In Blau ein silberner Schräglinksbalken. Auf dem Schilde 2 weisse Tauben und
    der ungekrönte Helm mit 5 weissen Strnussfedern geziert. Kühne IV. 74.)" >>>

Well, my German consists of Google Translate, so take the following with a good deal
    of salt.

1: Azure, a buckle argent between three boars' head Or. For a crest, a blooming
    thistle.

Best regards.

And now someone who speaks German will come along and show all the mistakes I made.
    ;-)

~~Basil

I agree with your translation of no.1.

Great! I'm glad to know I got it right. :-)

No 2 is: azure, a bend sinister argent.

Ah, so that's what an "oblique beam" is. I figured it was either a bend or a bend
    sinister. :-)

On the shield (presumably sitting on it), two
    white doves.

Ah! Doves sounds more likely than pigeons.

The helm, without coronet, decorated with five white ostrich feathers (= Straussfedern)

Oh, so that's what "Strnuss" is/are. ;-)

I can't find any reference to match Kühne.

Peter Howarth

~~Basil

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05